Koch thinks he will regain closer job

aboz56

From the Trib:

TORONTO -- Billy Koch is determined to win back his job as the White Sox's closer.

"I expect to get it back," he said before enduring another rough outing Wednesday night in the Sox's 7-6 victory over Toronto. "I don't know where they sit with that. But as far as I'm concerned, it's still my job."

The Sox view it the same way.

"Oh, yeah. Sure," manager Jerry Manuel said. "That's how we drew it up."

"We have to find out where Billy is going to fit in best until he can climb all the way back, which means he would close," pitching coach Don Cooper said.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish Billy Botch would keep quiet during our winning streak and not talk about the closer job that he lost and won't regain until pigs fly.

:fyou Billy!

of course a higly competitive professional athelete who ahs has success is going to say what Koch did.

Much better than having him say, "yeah, I'm no good and I'm not going to fight for my job back."

That desire to lift the game to the next level is exactly where he should be.

haha what a great quote

"Oh, yeah. Sure," manager Jerry Manuel said. "That's how we drew it up."

I can see him going like this :rolleyes:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. He says that, but he won't manage that way. To be honest I never really got the feeling that Manuel trusted Kock after losing that game on opening day.

There is something wrong with him, don't know if its physical or mental or a combination.

I think he just sucks. Never liked him. Never wanted him. Was against the trade from day one. And I knew that at least 1-run would score when they brought Botch in in the 8th inning yesterday. This guy cannot do anything!!!!!

As for Jerry's quote..... it sounds like it should be soaked in green. Hopefully they can unload this waste of a roster spot on some other unfortunate team in a trade package before July 31.

I was not thrilled with the trade that brought Billy Koch to the Sox. However, I would think even less of Koch if he didn't want to regain his role as the team stopper. It has nothing to do with Marte and Gordon not doing the job, if Koch gets back in form and is the closer, and everything to do with having three terrific relief pitchers playing as a team.

I am not sure Koch will get back his form and he hasn't given anyone reason to believe he will after his last performances, but he is still a member of the team and hopefully can regain whatever he has lost. We would be that much stronger. I still have to believe he is hurt, but all reports are contrary to that assumption.

I was not thrilled with the trade that brought Billy Koch to the Sox. However, I would think even less of Koch if he didn't want to regain his role as the team stopper. It has nothing to do with Marte and Gordon not doing the job, if Koch gets back in form and is the closer, and everything to do with having three terrific relief pitchers playing as a team.

I am not sure Koch will get back his form and he hasn't given anyone reason to believe he will after his last performances, but he is still a member of the team and hopefully can regain whatever he has lost. We would be that much stronger. I still have to believe he is hurt, but all reports are contrary to that assumption.

I'd like to see him regain his form, but not in the closer role at all this season. I think he could make an excellent setup man for Gordon and Marte.

Gordon shouldn't be treated this way. He may end up leaving if he's pissed at Manuel.

Manuel has no balls. Indecisiveness comes with him being your manager.

And Manuel has been doing the Closer By Committee managerial style..... AGAIN! JM doesn't have the cajones to tell Botch that he's no longer the closer (I personally wouldn't bring Botch into any game with less than a 4-run lead) or to use Gordon or Marte consistently as a closer because of his reliance on the lefty/righty righty/lefty match-up. Opposing managers (see: Pinella) can read JM like an open book.

And Manuel has been doing the Closer By Committee managerial style..... AGAIN! JM doesn't have the cajones to tell Botch that he's no longer the closer (I personally wouldn't bring Botch into any game with less than a 4-run lead) or to use Gordon or Marte consistently as a closer because of his reliance on the lefty/righty righty/lefty match-up. Opposing managers (see: Pinella) can read JM like an open book.

I don't care if Gordon got pissed last night or not, he had a chance to get the save and he gave up a hit to Wells and walked Delgado.

Then JM did the right thing and brought in Marte to face the lefty and it worked...

He expects to get it back after another bad outing? Does that mean he'll keep throwing bad innings to get the job back? Koch has been nothing but a million dollar mop-up man that cant pitch one scoreless inning. I see no reason to use him anymore since Gordon and Marte have been doin fine when they're closing. f*** you KW, you got Botch to be our defined closer, and we're back to bullpen by committee. :fyou

I don't care if Gordon got pissed last night or not, he had a chance to get the save and he gave up a hit to Wells and walked Delgado.

Then JM did the right thing and brought in Marte to face the lefty and it worked...

Gordon might have been more angry at himself and not Manuel. Gordon is a true competitor and wants to win so if he pitched poorly he would be angry for not getting the job done. Manuel made the right move and the team won, which is the bottom line.

f*** you KW, you got Botch to be our defined closer, and we're back to bullpen by committee. :fyou

And our closer committee isn't being paid as much as KW's boy..... who JR agreed to pay $10 million + over two years. Good deal for a penny-pincher Owner :rolleyes:

I don't know how to use the quote thing, but somebody said that they didn't think that Manuel trusts Koch since he lost the game on Opening Day. How do you figure? Buehrle started, and the Royals shut us out. How did Koch lose that game?

Just find the post that you want to quote, and click the button, on the top right that saids "quote"