Mark Buehrle's changeup voted best in the American League

CSF

Baseball America polled the managers of the American League, and they tabbed Buehrle's changeup the best. He was voted 2nd best control artist (behind Halladay), & 2nd best pickoff move (behind Pettitte). Jim Thome was voted 3rd best in strike-zone judgement (behind Abreu & Mauer).

QUOTE (CSF @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 08:50 PM)
Baseball America polled the managers of the American League, and they tabbed Buehrle's changeup the best. He was voted 2nd best control artist (behind Halladay), & 2nd best pickoff move (behind Pettitte). Jim Thome was voted 3rd best in strike-zone judgement (behind Abreu & Mauer).

This kind of surprises me. Arod? Josh Hamilton? Ichiro?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 09:07 PM)

Ichiro was voted best bunter, and 2nd best hitter (Mauer). Arod was 2nd in overall power (Morneau).

Would you mind sharing the source?

And about the changeup... what can i say, when it's on, it's ON.

QUOTE (tommy @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 12:04 AM)
Would you mind sharing the source?

uhh, Baseball America?

Edited by witesoxfan

I love MB but I don't think his changeup is even in the discussion. Granted, I don't watch every other team play so I can't tell you how 90% of the pitchers in this league throw their individual pitches, but MB doesn't have great stuff. If anything, I'd think his cutter would have performed better. To me, MB has 4 plus pitches, but none are plus-plus. I'm surprised he got voted that. But if the players/managers did that I'll say they probably know better than I do. I'm just surprised. MB survives on speed of delivery, location and mixing pitches.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 09:10 AM)
I love MB but I don't think his changeup is even in the discussion. Granted, I don't watch every other team play so I can't tell you how 90% of the pitchers in this league throw their individual pitches, but MB doesn't have great stuff. If anything, I'd think his cutter would have performed better. To me, MB has 4 plus pitches, but none are plus-plus. I'm surprised he got voted that. But if the players/managers did that I'll say they probably know better than I do. I'm just surprised. MB survives on speed of delivery, location and mixing pitches.

You always hear this kind of thing about Buehrle. How his stuff isn't great.

He doesn't have the "Stuff" in regards to velocity or a dominating slider but most of the guys that have those things lack the control. To me, control is a huge part of stuff because whats the use of throwing 99 if you miss your spots.

In this case, his change-up doesnt dive live pedro's and isn't 15mph like flamethrowers. But he puts it pinpoint and has enough movement on it that it really is a nasty little pitch. Coming off a pinpoint fastball or cutter inside and pasting the corner with his change right after is a nasty combination. Making his stuff very good.

At least in my opinion. I'm not the scout though.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 09:07 PM)

I don't know if you're being sarcastic but strikezone judgement is Jim Thome's best trait it's also one of Josh Hamilton's worst (35.8% of the pitches he swings at are out of the zone, 25% is league average) and not something Ichiro really employs (dude doesn't walk AT ALL). Jim Thome strikes out a lot but it's usually on pitches in the strikezone.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 09:10 AM)

I tend to agree. Someone just recently posted a highly granular study of the success, velocity, movement, etc. of individual pitches by pitcher, and Buehrle was unique in baseball for having 5 above average pitches. None were among the very-very best, but all are better than average.

But in terminology, I'd say MB has VERY good "stuff", because to me that is the whole package. If you have just one really devastating pitch, then that's not "stuff" to me, thats a pitch. I guess it depends on your definition of "stuff". I see it as the effectiveness of your entire repertoire of pitches.