Who here is happy Uribe's not on the team anymore?

whitesoxgt

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 06:12 AM)
Even though Alexei has a great contract, I have this feeling the Sox would move him for a similarly good-contract SS who gives perhaps more defense and less offense than the Cuban Missile.

I doubt it, especially with Thome and Dye both potentially leaving soon. The Sox will move Alexei to 2B or CF before they get rid of his bat and very reasonable price tag.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 09:43 AM)
I doubt it, especially with Thome and Dye both potentially leaving soon. The Sox will move Alexei to 2B or CF before they get rid of his bat and very reasonable price tag.

I think the Alexei to CF discussion was squashed the second we claimed Rios.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 04:51 AM)
I miss him. Especially his defense.

I am on your side. Juan Uribe is gold glove caliber at 2B-SS or 3B. Nothing against Nix, Getz, Ramirez or certainly not GB, but we need better defense and Juan was a super sub in the IF.

Uribe is one of those players who is easy to love when you're winning and easy to loathe when you're losing. When he's there for his defense and his bat is more or less irrelevant then it's great. As a bench player I'd definitely welcome him back if we don't have to give him much more than the minimum. He brings defense, versatility, and some right-handed pop from the bench, and he was apparently a favorite in the clubhouse.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 11:26 AM)
Uribe is one of those players who is easy to love when you're winning and easy to loathe when you're losing. When he's there for his defense and his bat is more or less irrelevant then it's great. As a bench player I'd definitely welcome him back if we don't have to give him much more than the minimum. He brings defense, versatility, and some right-handed pop from the bench, and he was apparently a favorite in the clubhouse.

That's exactly how I feel. I definitely miss Juan...and I bet some people in the clubhouse do too. I guess it would boil down to who would you rather have...Juan or Nix? I kind of lean towards Juan a little. I think. But I do agree with many that said it was just time to part ways with him.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 02:40 PM)
I am much more happy that Rowand is gone than Uribe.

Uribe never lost games and his glove won plenty. I do not consider failing to drive in runs as costing a team a game.

Ramirez does not make either one of those 2005 plays but that is beside the point. Uribe gave everything he had and I appreciate that.

Exactly plus I believe some tend to forget that his defensive plays at 3B saved us last year and sure helped us get into the playoffs. I think we lost Juan simply because the front office didn't want to pay $4.5M to a platoon player. It was all bizzness

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 10:50 AM)
I guess it would boil down to who would you rather have...Juan or Nix? I kind of lean towards Juan a little. I think.

With Getz out, I'd rather have Nix. Juan was a black hole at the bottom of the lineup. With a healthy Getz, I'd rather have Juan as a "super-sub" utility guy.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)
His defense alone would have won this team a couple of games.

Yeah, and he would have replaced Alexei's bat, which has won us more than a couple of games.

ITS JUAN URIBE PEOPLE, CIRCA 2009 NOT 2005.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)
His defense alone would have won this team a couple of games.

In reality, at what point do you think Gordon Beckham would of been up this year. The only reason he was brought up was due to the fact that we had a hole at 3rd and not viable options. Maybe he comes up now with the Getz injury.

Edited by southsideirish71

No matter what your views are on Uribe. The person that would of been affected the most would of been Beckham. Uribe would of been option number 1 to replace Fields at 3rd with Ozzie.

Yep. Paraphrasing Ozzie: "If Beckham is playing for the 2009 White Sox, we have problems."