Weirdest Baseball Moments

Marky Mark

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 01:21 PM)
White Sox @ Yankees, August 9, 2005. Kid jumped on the net, was chilling there for a while. He was terrified and embarrassed. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=250809110

I remember it vividly. Joe Crede was charging a softly hit grounder and, before he grabbed it, he sort of hesitated for some unknown reason. At first I was pissed because I had no idea why he hesitated, but I believe he still got the runner out by a hair.

Hawk and DJ then started to talk about what happened and they panned to the guy on the net. It all made sense at that point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 01:08 PM)
Terry Bevington calling for a reliever that wasn't warming up... Idiot.

Did I ever tell the story of my run-in with Bevington? I was working as a night auditor at a certain southern Wisconsin resort and the Sox held their post season meeting there. It was kinda cool because the place was crawling with Sox coaches and scouts all of whom that I encountered were real nice except Bevington. He comes up to the front desk pretty plastered at like 2:00 in the morning and he asked where he could get something to eat. I told him that at this time of night his only option was a vending machine. He wasn't too happy but asked where it was and I explained to him to go back one hallway, turn right and it's in the middle of the 2 building hallway. Too complicated for his drunk a$$. He comes back like 10 minutes later screaming at me that I gave him lousy directions and the hotel is really confusing and he's been wandering all over the place looking for the #%&$$ ##$%in' vending machine. I told him I could walk back there with him and take him right to it. So I did. He wasn't a nice person.

Edited by BigEdWalsh

Lol this is a good thread. There's a bunch of stuff I forgot about and some stuff I didn't even know. BigEdWalsh with some good stories!

Some good ones are candidates for blooper of the year in MLBs this year in baseball awards.

-V Mart kicking the bucket in the dugout and getting stuck to his foot.

-Johnny Damon catching a deep fly ball and it comes loose when he hits the wall then falls back into the field.

-Manny cutting off Damon's throw from deep CF.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
Does anybody remember the Sox game in fall of (I think) '96 when a ball was fouled off home plate and up into the ump's crotch? It delayed the game for about 30 minutes and they just kept showing it over and over.

I remember that. I was in the car and listening to it on the radio. It was LOL funny.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 04:18 PM)
I remember that. I was in the car and listening to it on the radio. It was LOL funny.

It was my buddy's birthday and we were drinking some beers before going out for the night. We were kind of buzzed and just laughed hysterically every time they replayed it.

Edited by Leonard Zelig

I wish that I could remember who we were playing, but I remember Pablo Ozuna at the plate. The pitcher threw the ball, it bounced "in front" of home plate and into the catcher's mitt, and Pablo swung at it "after" it was already in the mitt.

Hawk was laughing his head off wondering...."What the heck was that?" I think he said that was the first time he ever saw someone swing at a pitch when it was already in a catcher's mitt. The bounce in front of the plate made it even more hilarious!

Anyone else remember seeing that? And have a better memory of who that was against?

On an old bloopers tape I had a Detroit (?) pitcher was wild and threw over the head of a Brewers (?) player who managed to duck out of the way. Although he ducked his bat still held upright and made contact with the ball going into fair territory. He just tossed his bat and didn't make much of an effort to run to first.

Terry Bevington calling for a reliever that wasn't warming up... Idiot.

Ozzie Gullien motioning to his other arm and being forced to use the wrong reliever... Idiot.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 10:49 PM)
I wish that I could remember who we were playing, but I remember Pablo Ozuna at the plate. The pitcher threw the ball, it bounced "in front" of home plate and into the catcher's mitt, and Pablo swung at it "after" it was already in the mitt.

Hawk was laughing his head off wondering...."What the heck was that?" I think he said that was the first time he ever saw someone swing at a pitch when it was already in a catcher's mitt. The bounce in front of the plate made it even more hilarious!

Anyone else remember seeing that? And have a better memory of who that was against?

I remember that. So awesome.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
I remember that. So awesome.

Pablo created a whole bunch of great/weird moments...

--The swing after the catcher caught the pitch

--Throwing out a batter at 1B from LF

--I was at a game when a squirrel got on the field, and there's Pablo chasing it around with his glove and bare hand extended (I have no idea what the hell he'd have done if he actually caught it)

--Pablo volunteering to warm up Jenks when the catchers weren't ready, only to have Bobby's first warm up pitch sail right past him to the backstop

I was really disappointed when I saw he tested positive for PED's, because I always liked him. Just seemed like he really enjoyed being out there.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 01:18 PM)
Pablo created a whole bunch of great/weird moments...

--The swing after the catcher caught the pitch

--Throwing out a batter at 1B from LF

--I was at a game when a squirrel got on the field, and there's Pablo chasing it around with his glove and bare hand extended (I have no idea what the hell he'd have done if he actually caught it)

--Pablo volunteering to warm up Jenks when the catchers weren't ready, only to have Bobby's first warm up pitch sail right past him to the backstop

I was really disappointed when I saw he tested positive for PED's, because I always liked him. Just seemed like he really enjoyed being out there.

I was at the squirrel game, it was the return of Thomas. That was a great game. Pablo won it with a suicide squeeze if I recall.

Pablo warming up Jenks was awesome. Hawk was laughing his behind off. It sailed passed his head and he stood up and looked at the backstop, then back at Jenks, and just walked off the field

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 11:14 PM)
I was at the squirrel game, it was the return of Thomas. That was a great game. Pablo won it with a suicide squeeze if I recall.

Pablo warming up Jenks was awesome. Hawk was laughing his behind off. It sailed passed his head and he stood up and looked at the backstop, then back at Jenks, and just walked off the field

I was also there. That was a great game. I called the suicide squeeze, too. As I recall, Swisher was set up terribly at first for it.