How to make a protein shake that doesn't suck...

Y2HH

We've all had protein shakes over the years that some of us can barely down without wanting to puke, if you've ever had one you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm going to share my own creation with you today, for the bodybuilders or health nuts in all of us -- this one will taste good, and be good for you, too.

But wait, there's more! It packs about 45g of protein in a single serving! Ohhhh, ahhhh! I know, right?

You will need a blender for this, so don't get me started on "instantized" protein powders...when they say instantized it means nothing more than "clumps of crap floating in my drink".

Ok, here we go.

8-10 Ice Cubes

1/3 Cup Skim Milk

1 Banana

8 Blackberries

5 Raspberries

1 Tablespoon Natural Low Fat Peanut Butter

1 scoop of whey protein powder (this is about 21-23g) - Vanilla Flavor

1 scoop of egg protein powder (this is about 21-23g) - French Vanilla Flavor

I use Gold Standard protein mixes, but the brands don't matter much, just make sure it's vanilla flavored or some variation of vanilla. Chocolate, strawberry, mint, etc...will all destroy/cover the taste of the natural fruit we are using, so avoid using those.

Put into the blender in the order listed above, as this helps prevent the peanut butter and powders from sticking to the sides of the blender. Blend, chop, puree, mix, stir...

Pour into a glass, drink.

It's a complete meal + various sources of protein (egg/whey) and natural fruit sugars for complex carbs/energy.

I hope you try it! Enjoy!

Interesting. I made a variation of the same the other night.

I used water, MetRx vanillia protein packet, about 10 blueberries, 10 blackberries, 10 cherries (cut out the pits) and some ice. It was excellent. I can't stand peanut butter so I skipped that.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
muscle milk, dont have to add anything.

IMO, Muscle Milk has wayyyyyyyyy to much fat/calories per serving -- it's like a semi-weight gainers/protein shake with vitamins. It's more of a meal replacement than a protein supplement, which is what the above shake is really made for.

Oh, and I think Muscle Milk tastes like crap, the point of this thread was for shakes that do NOT taste like crap. ;)

Edit:

2 scoops of muscle milk:

Calories 350

Calories from Fat 160

Total Fat 18 gm 28%

Saturated Fat 8 gm 40%

I could have eaten half a friggin' Pizza, if not more, with the same caloric/fat intake with even MORE protein (cheese contains lots of it). No thanks on Muscle Milk. Not to mention 2 scoops of MM is about 10g LESS protein than what is in my shake, with 1/2 the calories, with almost NO fat. Lean and mean...lean and mean!

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 07:46 PM)
IMO, Muscle Milk has wayyyyyyyyy to much fat/calories per serving -- it's like a semi-weight gainers/protein shake with vitamins. It's more of a meal replacement than a protein supplement, which is what the above shake is really made for.

Oh, and I think Muscle Milk tastes like crap, the point of this thread was for shakes that do NOT taste like crap. ;)

Edit:

2 scoops of muscle milk:

Calories 350

Calories from Fat 160

Total Fat 18 gm 28%

Saturated Fat 8 gm 40%

I could have eaten half a friggin' Pizza, if not more, with the same caloric/fat intake with even MORE protein (cheese contains lots of it). No thanks on Muscle Milk. Not to mention 2 scoops of MM is about 10g LESS protein than what is in my shake, with 1/2 the calories, with almost NO fat. Lean and mean...lean and mean!

Honestly, not sure where you got that info, my MM shakes are less than 300 cals with about 6gms of fat ) trans and sat, and ALOT less sugar. Also if you really think that eating half a pizza is the same as whatever shake you just posted, you need to dig a little bit deeper than just nutritional info on a label. I also think that they are delicious.

What I dont like about your shake up top is the dairy, I have to stay away from that to be honest. Not a huge fan of adding the fruit either, but thats just because it can be annoying.

I take one of the MM drinks + a scoop of ON protein powder which doubles the protein intake.

MM nutritional info

230 calories

9g fat

1.5 is sat

3g sugar

25g protein

ON adds another 70 cals and about 20 g of protein. You can basically mix it in any substance to add protein to a meal.

Edited by RockRaines

Edit:

12373178921233801265supp_mm_rtd_14oz.jpg

That's not the muscle milk powder, the numbers I posted above are what the powders render, this looks like a pre-mixed 1/2 serving.

That's what you're taking -- that's those individual pre-mixed Muscle Milk brand shakes...that's great for people who can spend 4-5$ on a single supplement drink everyday, but for the rest of us, buying the powders+fruit causes each drink to cost about 1$ in comparison. :/

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)
Edit:

12373178921233801265supp_mm_rtd_14oz.jpg

That's not the muscle milk powder, the numbers I posted above are what the powders render, this looks like a 1/2 serving of what the powder recommends.

That's what you're taking -- that's those individual pre-mixed Muscle Milk brand shakes...that's great for people who can spend 4-5$ on a single supplement drink everyday, but for the rest of us, buying the powders+fruit causes each drink to cost about 1$ in comparison. :/

I get em for about a dollar each. Also the power in the canister which I have also isnt what you posted earlier, they have changed it quite a bit. The lite version is also fairly good as well but not as tasty. I believe you posted the older version of the powder which scared me away a few years ago because of the fat content until someone told me they changed it.

I recommend the ON protein powder however since you can add it to anything, juice, cereal etc and it add 20 g of protein to any substance. its pretty damn good.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)
I get em for about a dollar each. Also the power in the canister which I have also isnt what you posted earlier, they have changed it quite a bit. The lite version is also fairly good as well but not as tasty. I believe you posted the older version of the powder which scared me away a few years ago because of the fat content until someone told me they changed it.

I recommend the ON protein powder however since you can add it to anything, juice, cereal etc and it add 20 g of protein to any substance. its pretty damn good.

Where do you get these for 1$ each?

Hook it up.

Edit:

What I posted was directly off of Muscle Milks own website. You must be talking about the lighter versions or something -- protein powders taste bad enough without being diet versions. :/

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
Where do you get these for 1$ each?

Hook it up.

My friend works for a wholesale supplement store and their cost is very low, shows you how much they mark that s*** up. Online you can get them for about 2 bucks each for the 11oz if you search a little bit. I use both the canister and the RTD, but I grab a RTD every morning on my way to work as breakfast and then maybe one at the gym, or if I workout at home i'll use the canister and actually do a scoop of reg and one of lite.

Im also a cheeseball and I bought the P90x recovery drink just for the hell of it.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/supplemen...very_formula.do

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 01:52 PM)
My friend works for a wholesale supplement store and their cost is very low, shows you how much they mark that s*** up. Online you can get them for about 2 bucks each for the 11oz if you search a little bit. I use both the canister and the RTD, but I grab a RTD every morning on my way to work as breakfast and then maybe one at the gym, or if I workout at home i'll use the canister and actually do a scoop of reg and one of lite.

Im also a cheeseball and I bought the P90x recovery drink just for the hell of it.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/supplemen...very_formula.do

You need to be careful with these supplements -- to many of them can cause kidney problems and liver damage. I usually use one supplement type drink per day, never more. It's good booster protein, but it shouldn't be your primary source of protein, that should always come from real food, meat, fish, etc. My theory is that this is why athletes are made of glass these days, too much cheap quality proteins (from supplements) rather than getting their fuel from real meat, etc. I'm convinced of this.

Just from supplements it sounds like you're intaking upwards of 100g of protein a day...or am I mistaken? That's kind of a lot unless you weigh over 200.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 01:55 PM)
You need to be careful with these supplements -- to many of them can cause kidney problems and liver damage. I usually use one supplement type drink per day, never more. It's good booster protein, but it shouldn't be your primary source of protein, that should always come from real food, meat, fish, etc. My theory is that this is why athletes are made of glass these days, too much cheap quality proteins (from supplements) rather than getting their fuel from real meat, etc. I'm convinced of this.

I agree, just look at the number of nutrition companies you can find on one of these discount sites.

http://www.bulknutrition.com/?products_id=7200

its amazing. I actually generally use shakes as a hunger supression tool as I am always hungry and the shakes seem to curb those cravings and also help with recovery. On a daily basis I get most of my protein from chicken or fish, but have tried to incorporate more egg whites.

I take in about 50-75 from shakes and any additional comes from what I eat for dinner. Lunch is mostly vegetables.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)
I agree, just look at the number of nutrition companies you can find on one of these discount sites.

http://www.bulknutrition.com/?products_id=7200

its amazing. I actually generally use shakes as a hunger supression tool as I am always hungry and the shakes seem to curb those cravings and also help with recovery. On a daily basis I get most of my protein from chicken or fish, but have tried to incorporate more egg whites.

I take in about 50-75 from shakes and any additional comes from what I eat for dinner. Lunch is mostly vegetables.

Yea, that sounds more like me then. I'm around 50g from supplements, the rest from other things like peanut butter (despite it's fat content, it has good fat in it), meat, etc. That's not quite as bad as I read into it when you mentioned the 1 or 2 shakes + the beach body stuff.

Ok, just for the sake of being sure, and in the interest of science, I bought one of those Muscle Milk drinks today (the non light variety because I just can't imagine that tasting good), and it tastes better than I remember, but it still has a bit of a weird aftertaste, but it's not that bad at all...it's drinkable now. I haven't tried the powders though, since I already have my whey and egg protein powders still...until those are gone I won't be buying anything new.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 04:56 PM)
Ok, just for the sake of being sure, and in the interest of science, I bought one of those Muscle Milk drinks today (the non light variety because I just can't imagine that tasting good), and it tastes better than I remember, but it still has a bit of a weird aftertaste, but it's not that bad at all...it's drinkable now. I haven't tried the powders though, since I already have my whey and egg protein powders still...until those are gone I won't be buying anything new.

The light isnt all that bad, but I'm glad you tried it out. What flavor?

• 4 months later...