Are you...

Milkman delivers

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 07:25 PM)
According to joesaiditstrue in the chat, the White Sox bullpen has done the following since the All-Star break:

In the last 35 games, the bullpen has given up atleast one run in 20 of them.

Williams has a lot of problems ahead of him.

he built it on aging arms. Although what the f*** is wrong with thornton i have no idea. Must just be a bad stretch.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 09:30 PM)
he built it on aging arms. Although what the f*** is wrong with thornton i have no idea. Must just be a bad stretch.

He throws nothing but straight fastballs. I'm surprised it took so long for opposing teams to figure this out.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 09:25 PM)
According to joesaiditstrue in the chat, the White Sox bullpen has done the following since the All-Star break:

In the last 35 games, the bullpen has given up atleast one run in 20 of them.

Williams has a lot of problems ahead of him.

That's a misleading stat. What about games where the starter was pulled in the 4th and the bullpen only gave up 1 more run the rest of the way? I'd call that a good job by the bullpen.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 09:35 PM)
That's a misleading stat. What about games where the starter was pulled in the 4th and the bullpen only gave up 1 more run the rest of the way? I'd call that a good job by the bullpen.

How misleading do you really think it is? Ok, so maybe instead of 20 it's 16 or 17. It's still suggestive of a terrible bullpen. And when you consider the games where the starters went 7-8 innings, and all the bullpen had was 3 - 6 outs, it shouldn't change your mind.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 09:38 PM)
How misleading do you really think it is? Ok, so maybe instead of 20 it's 16 or 17. It's still suggestive of a terrible bullpen. And when you consider the games where the starters went 7-8 innings, and all the bullpen had was 3 - 6 outs, it shouldn't change your mind.

Did you honestly need that stat in the first place to tell you that the bullpen isn't all that good?

Well the Linebrink sucks mantra didn't just show up over night. He's been giving up a lot of runs for an eternity. And I can remember Jenks giving up some runs at least a couple of times on either side of the kidney stones issue. It's not been a good stretch for the BP, and when you consider that this is supposed to be a strength, there's trouble brewing, er exploding.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 09:40 PM)
Well the Linebrink sucks mantra didn't just show up over night. He's been giving up a lot of runs for an eternity. And I can remember Jenks giving up some runs at least a couple of times on either side of the kidney stones issue. It's not been a good stretch for the BP, and when you consider that this is supposed to be a strength, there's trouble brewing, er exploding.

I stopped believing that myth 2 months ago.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 09:40 PM)
Did you honestly need that stat in the first place to tell you that the bullpen isn't all that good?

Yes. I didn't know until joesaiditstrue told me. I've been listening to jphat.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

This will be the most exciting finish of the past twenty years. With so many slumping, they are all going to turn it on and catch the Tigers in the second to last game.

Then lose in the first round while getting swept.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 08:46 AM)
This will be the most exciting finish of the past twenty years. With so many slumping, they are all going to turn it on and catch the Tigers in the second to last game. [/color]

I hope you are right...that would be excellent. If they get hot to end the season, the sky is the limit in the post-season.

Edited by tonyho7476

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 09:35 PM)

Even a game where the starter goes 6 and the pen gives up 1, still makes an era of 3.00.

I know the pen hasn't been good, but that is a terrible stat.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 10:34 AM)
Even a game where the starter goes 6 and the pen gives up 1, still makes an era of 3.00.

I know the pen hasn't been good, but that is a terrible stat.

We're talking about the bullpen, not the staff as a whole. If the bullpen goes three inning and gives up 1 run, their earned run average is not 3.00.