Are you...

Milkman delivers

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (tommy @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 03:25 PM)
Oz on the Twins series: "The next three games in Minnesota, we're in or we're out (for a postseason run)."

I'm with Ozzie.

Outstanding. People are going to miss this type of candor from the manager who replaces Guillen one day. Any other coach would probably say the usual, "We're not out until the math says so."

It also puts it on the players to perform. I love this.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 08:33 AM)
A 56-106 record, average attendance was in the vicinity of 6,000 per game. I went to games when they're weren't 1,000 fans in the ballpark, which is hard to fathom today.

man, beer lines had to be fantastically short, and I'll be you could move up to primo seats w/ minimal hassle!!

QUOTE (stretchstretch @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 03:01 PM)
man, beer lines had to be fantastically short, and I'll be you could move up to primo seats w/ minimal hassle!!

Yeah. You could sit anywhere you wanted for the most part. Course, box seats were only like $3.50 anyway.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 06:25 PM)
Hello Chicago Pirates!

Exactly. ;)

How's that different from the last few years minus 2005?

2001 - 83 wins

2002 - 81

2003 - 86

2004 - 83

2006 - 90

2007 - 72

2008 - 89

2009 - 80* (projected)

Except the payroll would be way lower, which hopefully would equal lower ticket prices.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 09:35 PM)
I downgraded my cable (well, Uverse) about a week and a half ago, so now I don't get to watch any games anymore. I think I'm kind of glad.

I'm sure you'll still be able to catch the Bad New Bears on AMC. You won't know the difference.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 09:41 PM)
I'm sure you'll still be able to catch the Bad New Bears on AMC. You won't know the difference.

I guess. It's kind of sad. I was hoping we'd be playing relevant baseball in September, but I don't think it's going to happen.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 05:22 PM)
I'd be fine with a 65 mil payroll and a few years of 75 to 85 wins as long as it builds the minors.

Wins and losses have very, very little to do with building the minors. I cannot stress enough how little it matters. First off it comes down to which teams are better off at being able to evaluate talent, and secondly being able to mold that given talent.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 05:30 PM)
Exactly. ;)

How's that different from the last few years minus 2005?

2001 - 83 wins

2002 - 81

2003 - 86

2004 - 83

2006 - 90

2007 - 72

2008 - 89

2009 - 80* (projected)

Except the payroll would be way lower, which hopefully would equal lower ticket prices.

You did a nice job "skewing" this statistically by not including 2000, when we had 95 wins.

So let's take out 2007, since, you're leaving out 2005 and 2000 coveniently.

That gives you an average record of 88-74 over the decade...a record of sustained success we haven't had in, say, forever.

In fact, if you go back all the way to 1990, and put together any long stretch of baseball from then until now, we're usually somewhere around 3rd or 4th in overall winning percentage as a franchise behind on the Yankees, Braves and Red Sox.

I'd hardly describe that as being like the Pirates. THREE division championships in a decade is certainly not like the Pirates, unless you go back to the Clemente-era Pirates, We Are Family Pirates or the Bonds/Bonilla/Leyland late 80's/early 90's Pirates.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 06:57 AM)
You did a nice job "skewing" this statistically by not including 2000, when we had 95 wins.

So let's take out 2007, since, you're leaving out 2005 and 2000 coveniently.

That gives you an average record of 88-74 over the decade...a record of sustained success we haven't had in, say, forever.

In fact, if you go back all the way to 1990, and put together any long stretch of baseball from then until now, we're usually somewhere around 3rd or 4th in overall winning percentage as a franchise behind on the Yankees, Braves and Red Sox.

I'd hardly describe that as being like the Pirates. Four division championships in a decade is certainly not like the Pirates, unless you go back to the Clemente-era Pirates, We Are Family Pirates or the Bonds/Bonilla/Leyland late 80's/early 90's Pirates.

Maybe he was going back to when the KW era started? Fact of the matter is we've been to the playoffs a whopping 2 times in 9 years under KW. That's a s***ty ratio. And even KW would admit that. Who gives a s*** about winning percentage? How often do you get to October is all that matters. Please don't lump us in with the Yankees, Red Sox and those Braves teams that went on that ridiculous 14-year run. We're not even in the same galaxy as those franchises. Although I do think we're set up to go on an actual run.

Edit: I reread your post and see your premise. Yes, we have been nowhere near as pathetic as the Pirates have.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
Outstanding. People are going to miss this type of candor from the manager who replaces Guillen one day. Any other coach would probably say the usual, "We're not out until the math says so."

It also puts it on the players to perform. I love this.

I don't know about you, but I miss the non-answers of Jerry Manuel and Ron Schueler.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 09:28 AM)
I never said that we were compared to the Pirates, that was rangercal. I said if we have to lose games, we might as well have a lower payroll and lower ticket prices.

Less wins got us Beckham, I fail to see how 2007 hurt anyone but the fan.

Au contraire, we lost some season ticket holders that offseason.

After you win a World Series, you have a "five year window" to take advantage of it, as we did in 2006.

2007 stopped all of our momentum vis a vis the Cubs dead in the water.

However, we look to have ourselves back in very good position and we should be one of the co-favorites to win the ALCD going into 2010, especially if we can add one more piece....hopefully a leadoff hitter to replace Pods.