8/24 Games

flavum

I present for discussion: Brent DeFoor.

Closer for Bristol this year and last. Signed as NDFA last June, and repeated Bristol this year (he was 22 there last year, so 23 this year). Put up some nice numbers last year, very good K and BB rates. Not sure why is repeating Bristol though - at that age, with this numbers, why not challenge him a bit?

Now, I have never seen the guy pitch, and I have no idea what he throws. But even if he doesn't have particularly good stuff... if he is that successful as a closer... why do you NOT promote him and give him a chance to show something? If he fails, he fails. Just puzzles me.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 08:01 AM)
You really have a thing for NDFA don't you?

I have a thing for guys who come in and aren't expected to do anything, but do anyway. I like underdogs I guess. My AAP's include Wassermann and Remenowsky (both NDFA), previously Sergio Miranda (13th rounder), currently Charlie Shirek (23rd round and he's doing quite well), and I'm working now to try to get an interview with Joe Serafin. I have a lot of respect for guys that find a way to succeed regardless of expectations. And I tend to loathe players who are the opposite - high talent players who don't seem to make the full effort, and don't understand what it takes to really win out.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 08:06 AM)
I have a thing for guys who come in and aren't expected to do anything, but do anyway. I like underdogs I guess. My AAP's include Wassermann and Remenowsky (both NDFA), previously Sergio Miranda (13th rounder), currently Charlie Shirek (23rd round and he's doing quite well), and I'm working now to try to get an interview with Joe Serafin. I have a lot of respect for guys that find a way to succeed regardless of expectations. And I tend to loathe players who are the opposite - high talent players who don't seem to make the full effort, and don't understand what it takes to really win out.

Not to mention the CJ Retherford poster above your bed. :)