Financial News

jasonxctf

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 09:53 AM)
That depends. My issue with government funded healthcare for retired workers is we live by two vastly different standards...

1) The union standard, where you are of retirement age at 51 and eligible for healthcare benefits/pension funds.

2) The private standard, where you are of retirement age at 65 and eligible for healthcare benefits/social security funds.

So no, I don't want to be on the hook for paying their pensions/healthcare contracts because the unions made sweet deals with the corrupted politicians, then blamed the politicians for spending their money when they were the ones overseeing it...that's on them...they should fix it with their own workers, who get to retire as early as 51...maybe they should retire at 65, too.

I would propose a bill matching gov't workers retirement age to private workers social security eligibility. You solve the pension crisis and put the state on more sound fiscal ground. And you could even let the saps keep their healthcare.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 08:29 PM)
I would propose a bill matching gov't workers retirement age to private workers social security eligibility. You solve the pension crisis and put the state on more sound fiscal ground. And you could even let the saps keep their healthcare.

Is it acceptable or useful to keep police officers and firefighters on the payroll until age 67? Or even 55 in many cases? In the event that they are physically unable to do those jobs until the rising social security eligibility age, what do we do with them?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 07:47 PM)
Is it acceptable or useful to keep police officers and firefighters on the payroll until age 67? Or even 55 in many cases? In the event that they are physically unable to do those jobs until the rising social security eligibility age, what do we do with them?

Literally work them until they are broken or dead.

one big problem with having a retirement age of around 70 is that employees older than 55 can't find new jobs if they lose their job. What do they do for those 15 or so years? Companies have been jettisoning older workers recently for cheaper employees.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 07:47 PM)

For that matter, is it acceptable to have ANYONE working until 67? Not sure...but we seem to do it anyway. As I said, there are jobs in those departments that do NOT require young bodies...they could be moved to those jobs. It's not rocket science, guys...let's stop pretending it is.

Not every officer or fireman is a "street worker"...a LOT of them work simple desk jobs that any elder on their force could perform.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 11:47 PM)
For that matter, is it acceptable to have ANYONE working until 67? Not sure...but we seem to do it anyway. As I said, there are jobs in those departments that do NOT require young bodies...they could be moved to those jobs. It's not rocket science, guys...let's stop pretending it is.

Not every officer or fireman is a "street worker"...a LOT of them work simple desk jobs that any elder on their force could perform.

We don't keep police and fire and construction desk jobs around ajobs taxpayer funded jobs program.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 08:28 AM)
We don't keep police and fire and construction desk jobs around ajobs taxpayer funded jobs program.

They already do this now.

I'm simply saying they can shift their way of doing it. Remove older officers from street duty and put them on desk duty...right now you have a mix of older/younger on desk duty...IMO, younger able bodied police should be on the street, not working behind desks...but it's what they do...some younger officers never see street duty after their probation period ends, they somehow end up working desk jobs their entire lives.

IMO, it's a waste of a youthful body.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 08:36 AM)
They already do this now.

I'm simply saying they can shift their way of doing it. Remove older officers from street duty and put them on desk duty...right now you have a mix of older/younger on desk duty...IMO, younger able bodied police should be on the street, not working behind desks...but it's what they do...some younger officers never see street duty after their probation period ends, they somehow end up working desk jobs their entire lives.

IMO, it's a waste of a youthful body.

Police departments shouldn't hire qualified people for non-enforcent positions, they should fill those positions with people who were in different jobs for 30 years and spend the money to reeducate them. After all, guys who started driving police cars in the 80s are awesome at database and resource management strategies.

Yeah.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 08:53 AM)
Police departments shouldn't hire qualified people for non-enforcent positions, they should fill those positions with people who were in different jobs for 30 years and spend the money to reeducate them. After all, guys who started driving police cars in the 80s are awesome at database and resource management strategies.

Yeah.

Nobody even knows what you're talking about anymore.

Database and resource management? Yes, hire DBA's and IT people for those positions, not cops, jackass (which they do), police do not do these jobs. :P

You're purposeful ignorance here is amusing, but ultimately, it makes you look like a smart person TRYING to be a moron. I know you're smart enough to know there are plenty of jobs that police can and DO perform that do not require special skills, that are not "on the street". There are plenty of internal desk positions at your local police station that do not require "qualifications" beyond being able to write and/or type. So honestly -- and pretty please, with sugar on top -- stop responding to me unless you actually have something of substance to add.

Do you know that when police get "suspended" from active duty, they stick them in desk positions? The same desk positions I'm talking bout now...ones that do NOT require DBA/IT educations to perform.

Now seriously, stop pretending jobs don't exist that older police cannot do INTERNALLY...while younger officers take the streets.

Edited by Y2HH