Financial News

jasonxctf

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 04:46 PM)
Uhm. Actually, I'd say every female in my family the last three generations is a teacher. Yeah, they take some "enrichment courses" that come with a nice bump in pay (you should see these people flock to get their 5th masters in some totally unrelated field as well to get that bump in pay too, oh boy!). The clean-up process for the room (and it cannot be worse than my mother's room, since she teaches kindergarten) is one week of going in at 10 and leaving at 2. Lesson plans are not thought about until two weeks prior to school starting, and are often recycled.

You seem to be very ill-informed on the amount of work a teacher does during the summer.

Not to mention lots of that summer stuff is paid on top of their annual contract salary.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 06:46 PM)
Not to mention lots of that summer stuff is paid on top of their annual contract salary.

I covered that with "bump in pay".

And Balta, yes, most teachers are overpaid given they work 75% of a calendar year. Also, it's complete horses*** that you earn tenure after 4-5 years and once you get that it's practically impossible to lose your job hence a lot of teachers doing their job poorly.

Now you admit that most teachers work considerably less than other professions.

Hm, Balta got the news before I did lately. I'll try for a morning update here...

2010 Retail Sales rose 6.65% on year, versus 6.5% drop in 2009. December came in at 0.6%, versus 0.8% expectation. The year's gain was the biggest posted since 1999.

December CPI rose 0.5%, the largest increase in 18 months. But 80% of that increase was due to an 8.5% increase in gasoline, which was also the biggest increase in 18 months. Food was up just 0.1%. For the year, CPI was up 1.5%, versus down 2.7% in 2009.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 09:05 AM)
Hm, Balta got the news before I did lately. I'll try for a morning update here...

2010 Retail Sales rose 6.65% on year, versus 6.5% drop in 2009. December came in at 0.6%, versus 0.8% expectation. The year's gain was the biggest posted since 1999.

December CPI rose 0.5%, the largest increase in 18 months. But 80% of that increase was due to an 8.5% increase in gasoline, which was also the biggest increase in 18 months. Food was up just 0.1%. For the year, CPI was up 1.5%, versus down 2.7% in 2009.

Although the total number has its uses, the one to really pay attention to is the Core CPI, which smooths itself out by excluding energy and commodity price shifts.

Core CPI was up 0.1% in December and up only 0.8% for the entire 2010 period, which was a record low.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 08:08 AM)
Although the total number has its uses, the one to really pay attention to is the Core CPI, which smooths itself out by excluding energy and commodity price shifts.

Core CPI was up 0.1% in December and up only 0.8% for the entire 2010 period, which was a record low.

I thought about splitting out the core, energy and auto numbers - the difference between them is definitely worth noting. I disagree with the Core being "the one to really pay attention to" though - the total price index is what really effects consumers. Core CPI is more of a study point to look at how retail goods pricing is doing, a much narrower topic.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 09:17 AM)
I thought about splitting out the core, energy and auto numbers - the difference between them is definitely worth noting. I disagree with the Core being "the one to really pay attention to" though - the total price index is what really effects consumers. Core CPI is more of a study point to look at how retail goods pricing is doing, a much narrower topic.

It's the one to look at right now because it's at a record low value...and that's the one the Fed uses (correctly) when making policy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 08:21 AM)
It's the one to look at right now because it's at a record low value...and that's the one the Fed uses (correctly) when making policy.

On the first part, its one to watch, but its still not as good a measure as the complete basket. On the second part, the Fed looks at a lot more in CPI and other measures than just Core CPI.

A Swiss whistle-blower Monday handed over what he said were secret Swiss banking records to WikiLeaks, the website dedicated to revealing secrets.

Swiss banker Rudolf Elmer handed two discs to WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange at a news conference in London.

WikiLeaks could release the secret Swiss banking records in "a matter of weeks" if it can process them quickly enough, Assange said.

Elmer said he would not reveal the names in the records and said he was unable to say how many people were involved.

He said about 2,000 clients' records were included, but that because of the way trusts and corporations are set up, he could not determine how many individuals were involved.

Elmer describes himself as an activist/reformer/banker.

"I think, as a banker, I do have the right to stand up if something is wrong," he said Monday, explaining why he was giving the documents to the website.

Elmer is due to go on trial Wednesday in Switzerland for violating the country's banking secrecy regulations.

Link

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 08:38 AM)

From the guardian:

British and American individuals and companies are among the offshore clients whose details will be contained on CDs presented to WikiLeaks at the Frontline Club in London. Those involved include, Elmer tells the Observer, "approximately 40 politicians".
Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 08:39 AM)
I was actually referring to the person who obtained the documents originally. Assange, I am not sure how the laws may work for that sort of secondary passing of information.

Sorry, the pronouns were getting confusing. Yeah, the leakers are pretty much always guilty of a crime unless it's legitimate whistle-blowing, at least as far as I know.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 08:39 AM)
I was actually referring to the person who obtained the documents originally. Assange, I am not sure how the laws may work for that sort of secondary passing of information.

I have to imagine knowingly dealing in stolen documents has to be a crime in Switzerland, right?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 10:24 AM)
He couldn't have started this process like a year ago?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/41131176

Oh that's right, he was too busy with health care reform, the emergency we were facing at the time.

Obama never wanted those parts of the bill, that was all Congress.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 05:17 PM)
I have to imagine knowingly dealing in stolen documents has to be a crime in Switzerland, right?

So who's more guilty...

the person commiting the crime

or

the person illegally providing docs proving the person commited a crime

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 06:53 PM)
Obama never wanted those parts of the bill, that was all Congress.

by the way, i heard this morning on CNBC that the Dow's performance under this President, is the 3rd best all time, behind FDR and Truman.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
So who's more guilty...

the person commiting the crime

or

the person illegally providing docs proving the person commited a crime

More guilty? It is guilty or not. They are each committing a distinct crime (I believe that possession of stolen items is a crime in Switzerland anyway).