Financial News

jasonxctf

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 11:59 AM)
NSS, would you ever consider running for political office?

Honestly, there are a lot of people on this board who should be involved in something like that. It gives you a whole new perspective on the political system. Even if it is just working on a campaign, it is worth it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 12:14 PM)
Honestly, there are a lot of people on this board who should be involved in something like that. It gives you a whole new perspective on the political system. Even if it is just working on a campaign, it is worth it.

Not to mention all the "illegal" perks.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 12:09 PM)
I will run a smear campaign using selectively edited SoxTalk posts to bring you down.

LOL, believe it or not, I have given thought to the idea that if I ever did run for an elected office, there is always the chance someone could connect these posts to me and use them against me somehow.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 04:37 PM)
LOL, believe it or not, I have given thought to the idea that if I ever did run for an elected office, there is always the chance someone could connect these posts to me and use them against me somehow.

Deleting 26k + posts would be tough to do.

Well, there are a few guys here who could probably have a decent future in politics. I am constantly amazed at the depth of knowledge some of you have. Definitely something a few should consider, and I think a lot of people would be better off because of it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 03:35 PM)
Well, there are a few guys here who could probably have a decent future in politics. I am constantly amazed at the depth of knowledge some of you have. Definitely something a few should consider, and I think a lot of people would be better off because of it.

Thanks!

By the way I just increased your taxes kthxbye.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 03:47 PM)
Thanks!

By the way I just increased your taxes kthxbye.

By the way, step one is non profit organizations, if you want to start to build a resume. Then get into the boards and commissions if you can.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 03:48 PM)
By the way, step one is non profit organizations, if you want to start to build a resume. Then get into the boards and commissions if you can.

Well I've actually been running a very small NFP for 20 years. But in terms of bigger stuff, I've done some volunteer work with various groups, though nothing regular yet.

I just have a very basic understanding of finance, so I am going to ask what will likely come off as a very insensitive question considering the timing, but it is something that truly puzzles me. When I first woke up and saw all the devastation that took place in Japan in the last 6 or so hours I expected to put on cnn.com and see the dow, nasdaq and S&P to be down a big number like 200, 50 and 10 or 20 respectively. However, when I checked they weren't down that much, as I type about 30, 3 and 1. Japan is a big economy, I don't get how it couldn't effect it more, does it have to do with the fact that Japan economy was already weakened some, so it's not like it was an economy that was thriving at this point got hit with a major disaster?

Again, this is a very dry question considering what is going on there and I apologize if it offends somebody, not my intention.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 09:42 AM)
I just have a very basic understanding of finance, so I am going to ask what will likely come off as a very insensitive question considering the timing, but it is something that truly puzzles me. When I first woke up and saw all the devastation that took place in Japan in the last 6 or so hours I expected to put on cnn.com and see the dow, nasdaq and S&P to be down a big number like 200, 50 and 10 or 20 respectively. However, when I checked they weren't down that much, as I type about 30, 3 and 1. Japan is a big economy, I don't get how it couldn't effect it more, does it have to do with the fact that Japan economy was already weakened some, so it's not like it was an economy that was thriving at this point got hit with a major disaster?

Again, this is a very dry question considering what is going on there and I apologize if it offends somebody, not my intention.

Japan is one of the most seismically ready countries in the world. The belief is that this won't slow them down much at all, and that their basic infrastructure is just fine.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 10:08 AM)
Japan is one of the most seismically ready countries in the world. The belief is that this won't slow them down much at all, and that their basic infrastructure is just fine.

cool, thanks for the answer, that makes a ton of sense.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 01:05 PM)
You've got inter-office Mail!!!

I wouldn't read that email. That way you can just keep coming to work. Though I suspect they'd fix the glitch and everything would just work itself out quietly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 11:08 AM)

This is the same basic reason why the 2004 event in SE Asia and the 2010 event in Haiti killed so many more people than this one in Japan.

Genuinely improving but still not good numbers,.

In the week ending March 12, the advance figure for seasonally adjusted initial claims was 385,000, a decrease of 16,000 from the previous week's revised figure of 401,000. The 4-week moving average was 386,250, a decrease of 7,000 from the previous week's revised average of 393,250.