Financial News

jasonxctf

Link

Vice President Joe Biden plans to convene White House staff and Congressional leaders Thursday to pursue an agreement on the terms of an increase. There is a growing consensus among Democrats that some restrictions on spending are reasonable and necessary to secure an agreement with Republicans.

To clear as much time as possible for that political process, the Treasury said on Monday that it would take the first in a series of emergency steps authorized by law this Friday. It will suspend a program under which it borrows money from state and local governments to help those governments meet legal obligations to invest in tax-exempt bonds.

The issuance of the State and Local Government Treasury securities, known as “slugs,” are largely a convenience for the governments. A senior Treasury official said the program’s suspension might not cost those governments any significant amount of money, but it would require them to find alternative investments.

The program has been suspended six times in the last two decades as the federal government bumped against the debt ceiling, most recently in 2007.

The Treasury said it would begin to take additional steps on May 16, including suspending programs under which the government borrows money from pension funds for federal employees and then pays interest to those funds. By law, the Treasury must make up for the lost interest payments once Congress raises the debt ceiling.

Re: Bin Laden's Death

Well it doesn't look like the military-industrial complex will end anytime soon.

That being said, I would think the whole defense industry will benefit, at least short term.

QUOTE (Be Good @ May 4, 2011 -> 12:08 AM)
Re: Bin Laden's Death

Well it doesn't look like the military-industrial complex will end anytime soon.

That being said, I would think the whole defense industry will benefit, at least short term.

It's like the banks. Name a decision that has been taken in the last 20 years that didn't benefit them.

Holy Hell.

The number of Americans filing for their first week of unemployment benefits surged last week, the government said Thursday.

The number of initial claims rose to 474,000 in the week ended April 30, up 43,000 from the week before. It was the highest level since August, and a big surprise to economists, who were expecting initial claims to drop to 400,000 in the latest report.

Maybe 85,000 Americans were employed looking for Bin Laden?

There were a couple caveats to that number. Oregon instituted a new emergency unemployment program that inflated the number somewhat, and New York had 25,000 spring break layoffs that were a week to late to be adjusted as seasonal.... Still not a good number though.

But, oil and gas are going through the floor. Oil down 6% today, from 108 to 102 or so.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ May 5, 2011 -> 10:31 AM)
There were a couple caveats to that number. Oregon instituted a new emergency unemployment program that inflated the number somewhat, and New York had 25,000 spring break layoffs that were a week to late to be adjusted as seasonal.... Still not a good number though.

But, oil and gas are going through the floor. Oil down 6% today, from 108 to 102 or so.

Those damn speculators. How dare they take oil down almost $12 in a day and a half. :lol: Trading 99.84

Edited by Cknolls

QUOTE (Cknolls @ May 5, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)
Those damn speculators. How dare they take oil down almost $12 in a day and a half. :lol: Trading 99.84

Holy crap, they broke par? Damn, I think I actually called a top the other day. Stupid me for not putting some money on some summertime puts.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)
Holy crap, they broke par? Damn, I think I actually called a top the other day. Stupid me for not putting some money on some summertime puts.

Silver down 25% in last five days or so.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
I knew they had been punishing the metals, but I didn't realize that this had turned into a broadbased commodities rout. Go speculators!

Someone on CNBC said that yesterday, if Oil broke 106 today, that it would plummet because it would break through a triple bottom or something. Gas is also down 5% today.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ May 5, 2011 -> 01:35 PM)
Someone on CNBC said that yesterday, if Oil broke 106 today, that it would plummet because it would break through a triple bottom or something. Gas is also down 5% today.

Gas will usually move more or less in parallel with oil, barring refinement infrastructure problems or massive vol trading in crack spreads.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ May 5, 2011 -> 01:35 PM)

When anything goes on a run like this, there are a lot of people heavy into positions, so when they start going down, there is a certain multiple effect that comes from people locking gains, and then from margin calls from latecomers.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 6, 2011 -> 08:48 AM)
244k non-farm jobs added in April....62k came from McDonalds alone. Unemployment up to 9%, but according to the government, that's just because more people have decided to look for jobs, proving once again that the unemployment figure is a joke of a stat.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/42928731

Nice surprise. Hopefully the UE filings come back in line in the next couple weeks.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 6, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
i wanna know how this is legal:

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/news/lo...0,1965727.story

So, let's impose a general business tax, and then pick out specific businesses to give benefits too. Quinn is such a lying pile of s***.

MIght be a bad idea, but, how would it be illegal?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 6, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
MIght be a bad idea, but, how would it be illegal?

It might not be, but it's just so wrong. The legislature passes a bill increasing business taxes and then the governor is given unilateral power to strike deals with specific businesses? Something's not right there. Does the governor really have the power to provide tax or other financial benefits to a company without legislative support?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 6, 2011 -> 02:52 PM)
It might not be, but it's just so wrong. The legislature passes a bill increasing business taxes and then the governor is given unilateral power to strike deals with specific businesses? Something's not right there. Does the governor really have the power to provide tax or other financial benefits to a company without legislative support?

I'm actually not sure if the Gov can do it himself or not, probably depends on the state. But I'd also bet that Quinn was working with at least some members of the legislature as well, who would all like to see one of the state's premier employers stick around.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 6, 2011 -> 04:01 PM)
I'm actually not sure if the Gov can do it himself or not, probably depends on the state. But I'd also bet that Quinn was working with at least some members of the legislature as well, who would all like to see one of the state's premier employers stick around.

It probably means that when the tax bill was passed, or when some other tax bill was passed, it gave the governor that power.