Financial News

jasonxctf

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 01:37 PM)
For the Federal Reserve I'm not sure that there really is such a thing.

What about the 14 billion we just burned spent wasted lost handed to GM? How can they track revenue but not losses?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)
What about the 14 billion we just burned spent wasted lost handed to GM? How can they track revenue but not losses?

Again, that was a stock exchange, the governor could hang on to those shares in the time being to recoup those expenses.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)

Because they can print money to cover their losses.

In a normal environment, this would lead to inflation, thus requiring higher interest rates which would end up with the Fed taking that money back as interest payments. However, since we're still against the 0% interest rate bound with 9%+ unemployment, inflation continues to be virtually nonexistent, especially outside of food and energy.

My ex will be paying about 10% on her first college year of loans which were around 18K, glad I got away from that especially since she wanted to go to about 7 more years of school before she could start working.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/half-l..._medium=twitter

According to the unemployment data released this morning, the economy added only 54,000 jobs, pushing the unemployment rate up to 9.1 percent. However, this report from MarketWatch suggests data is much worse than that:

McDonald’s ran a big hiring day on April 19 — after the Labor Department’s April survey for the payrolls report was conducted — in which 62,000 jobs were added. That’s not a net number, of course, and seasonal adjustment will reduce the Hamburglar impact on payrolls. (In simpler terms — restaurants always staff up for the summer; the Labor Department makes allowance for this effect.) Morgan Stanley estimates McDonald’s hiring will boost the overall number by 25,000 to 30,000. The Labor Department won’t detail an exact McDonald’s figure — they won’t identify any company they survey — but there will be data in the report to give a rough estimate.

If Morgan Stanley is correct, about half of last month's job growth came from the venerable fast-food chain. That is hardly the sign of a healthy economy.

Fiat-Chrysler CEO just a moment ago on CNN.

When asked whether his company "could have stood on its own two feet and come back without this government money?" Marchionne responded:

Whoever tells you that is smoking illegal material. That market had become absolutely dysfunctional in 2008 and 2009. There were attempts made by a variety of people to find strategic alliances with other car makers on a global scale. Chrysler shopped a variety of other sources before it came to this conclusion. And the government stepped in as the actor of last resort. It had to do it because the consequences would have been just too large to deal with.

You guys are smoking illegal material.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 08:39 PM)
-Housing prices in a free fall with no end in sight

-unemployment sky high and rising with no end in sight

-record deficits with no end in sight

Obamanomics are taking their toll

Are you kidding? This economy is a republicans dream. Workers rights eroding, every job low wage and no benefits, everyone in unpayable debt to banks, lowest rakes in half a century, and the highest corporate profits ever!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
Are you kidding? This economy is a republicans dream. Workers rights eroding, every job low wage and no benefits, everyone in unpayable debt to banks, lowest rakes in half a century, and the highest corporate profits ever!

all of which Obama seems to completely support.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 09:53 PM)
no no no Balta, I don't support any of that.

Now all we need is to teach you some basic economics and you'll be telling me how you won't vote in the general because obamas too conservative.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 08:57 PM)
Now all we need is to teach you some basic economics

oh, i don't think that will be necessary. i've done just fine being a stupid idiot all these years. if i become an economics mastermind, like you, i'll end up broke and corrupt like all these democrat run programs.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 10:04 PM)
oh, i don't think that will be necessary. i've done just fine being a stupid idiot all these years. if i become an economics mastermind, like you, i'll end up broke and corrupt like all these democrat run programs.

Wall street is a demycrat run program? Well, kinda I guess.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 09:09 PM)
Wall street is a demycrat run program? Well, kinda I guess.

i actually do hate wall street and the financial services industry. democrat involvement just adds fuel to the fire.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 10:11 PM)
i actually do hate wall street and the financial services industry. democrat involvement just adds fuel to the fire.

Which is of course why you support people who support wall streets interests as much as humanly possible. Like the rest of the tea party, hating wall street by making sure they get everything they want.

Ps, just in case you haven't caught on, this whole conversation has been tongue in cheek for my part

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 09:17 PM)
Which is of course why you support people who support wall streets interests as much as humanly possible. Like the rest of the tea party, hating wall street by making sure they get everything they want.

a few months ago i was reading the NY Times during my lunch break in the office of a big hedge fund management place here in Chicago and some lady called me liberal loon. true story.

i bet you feel stupid now for accusing me of being a dastardly Tea Party associate.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 10:27 PM)
a few months ago i was reading the NY Times during my lunch break in the office of a big hedge fund management place here in Chicago and some lady called me liberal loon. true story.

i bet you feel stupid now for accusing me of being a dastardly Tea Party associate.

In a hedge fund office? Of course that's a liberal rag for them; the nyt occasionally points out that the pay of hedge fund managers gets taxed like capital gains at 15% or so. The good WSJ knows that the 15% tax rate on hedge fund managers is still too high.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 09:36 PM)
the 15% tax rate on hedge fund managers is still too high.

you're giving some good talking points for my next visit. i wouldn't mind winning some more business from them.

Edited by mr_genius