Financial News

jasonxctf

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 07:26 PM)
Just a healthy correction.

Buying opportunity.

I really hope so, and with respect to Ebola hitting Boeing getting cut 4% perked my ears.

BUT. I'm nervous. Germany/Brazil/China all slowing down, US retail having a declining month and the oil plummet I have to imagine is a sign of a global demand shortage.

but I hope you are right. Here's to hoping for a fantastic holiday retail season. If my wife and I can keep our jobs through this, we were hoping to purchase a house in the spring. A real estate correction and the mortgage interest dropping to 4% doesn't hurt me terribly.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 01:30 PM)
I really hope so, and with respect to Ebola hitting Boeing getting cut 4% perked my ears.

BUT. I'm nervous. Germany/Brazil/China all slowing down, US retail having a declining month and the oil plummet I have to imagine is a sign of a global demand shortage.

but I hope you are right. Here's to hoping for a fantastic holiday retail season. If my wife and I can keep our jobs through this, we were hoping to purchase a house in the spring. A real estate correction and the mortgage interest dropping to 4% doesn't hurt me terribly.

I think things got a little ahead of themselves for a while there, and this was due. And retail will probably do better with the oil demand falling, as people will have more money to spend, instead of giving it to oil companies.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
I think things got a little ahead of themselves for a while there, and this was due. And retail will probably do better with the oil demand falling, as people will have more money to spend, instead of giving it to oil companies.

Energy prices coming down is nothing but good for our economy, as opposed to places like Russia, Venezuela, Iran, etc.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 01:36 PM)
Y'alls best guess - If I had to book a flight for january, knowing that oil is falling. Would you wait or book now?

Personally? I wouldn't count on oil to keep falling. I would be looking now, and lock in whenever you see a good price. 21 days before is the magic cutoff for when flying gets really expensive, as a general rule. You've got a time, but if there is a good number now, I'd take it.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
I think a lot of the airlines hedge their future fuel purchases anyway. They buy long-term contracts, not jet fuel at day-to-day prices.

Well yes, it's not nearly that volatile but this large of a decrease will be noticeable in pricing as it's been happening for about 2 mos now and does not appear to be from incredible supply increase.

Spain’s unemployment rate fell to the lowest since the end of 2011 in the third quarter as its economy turned into one of the fastest-growing in the euro region.

Joblessness fell to 23.7 percent in the three months through September from 24.5 percent in the previous quarter, Spain’s national statistics institute INE said in Madrid today. The economy grew 0.5 percent in the period, the Bank of Spain predicts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Alibaba (BABA) getting hammered...

down to $90 in pre-trading

So between the Chinese government leaking their "attack report" six months late...to the disappointing earnings announcement today...and then earlier in the week the announcement that Yahoo was spinning off its stake, lots of moving pieces.

Has zoomed from around $82-83 (IPO time) up to $120 and now back to the low $90's with more room to fall.

So the logical play here is wait until Alibaba's around $68-70 or Yahoo (because they have a 15% stake in BABA and will spin it off in the 2nd half of the year) is around $34-36...because most are arguing the stock's being punished unfairly at the moment and there's nothing fundamentally wrong with their strategic position in e-commerce.

Edited by caulfield12

Well, they tried. I thought they did a decent job of pivoting but when your pivot is making a store not as good as best buy it's a matter of time.

I hope the displaced find jobs quickly. Unfortunately, looks like there's still a lot of slack in the labor market.