Getz Begins Rehab Assignment on Wed

Chisoxfn

Getz Begins Rehab Assignment

I'm personally super excited to get Getz back on the ball-field as I think he's a much better all-around player than Nix (which I know we've always debated), but there were some pretty good tid-bits from Mark Gonzalez piece on the rehab assignment which I liked

In addition to taking early batting practice Monday, Getz received a few tips from former White Sox hitting instructor Walt Hriniak.

Getz relished the chance to learn from Hriniak, 66, ever since he had heard about him through hitting coach Greg Walker.

He knew Hriniak taught several successful Sox hitters, including Frank Thomas and Harold Baines in addition to manager Ozzie Guillen and coaches Joey Cora and Walker.

"It's important to simplify things," said Getz, who was batting .267 before suffering a right oblique strain two weeks ago. "[Hriniak] gave me some stuff that Walk has told me and instilled it. But he's the guy who taught Walk, so it was good to hear what he had to say."

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 12:57 PM)
Getz Begins Rehab Assignment

I'm personally super excited to get Getz back on the ball-field as I think he's a much better all-around player than Nix (which I know we've always debated), but there were some pretty good tid-bits from Mark Gonzalez piece on the rehab assignment which I liked

I miss Chris Getz. I think our lineup has missed him. He does a lot of positive little things.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 02:12 PM)
I miss Chris Getz. I think our lineup has missed him. He does a lot of positive little things.

I agree, but I didn't know how much I missed him until this DL stint. So, I for one can't wait for his return.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
Expect Getz to hit 40 points higher now.

I may have asked this before, but why isn't Hriniak the hitting coach? We seem to send our guys with continual hitting problems to him, and he seems better than Walker.

Also, how do you pronounce his name? I have just figured it was her-nee-ack.

Hriniak is awesome. But Walker has done a solid job this year as well. OUr offense isn't the issue. Its our defense and lately its been our pitching.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 03:54 PM)
GRINDER!!! Nah, i like Chris Getz. He's the most fundamentally sound player on the team, and i like how he plays the game. I just don't think he's the best 2b on the team, right now.

What has Nix done the last week or two to convince you he should keep starting when Getz is healthy?

I may have asked this before, but why isn't Hriniak the hitting coach? We seem to send our guys with continual hitting problems to him, and he seems better than Walker.

Drop the H in the pronunciation. Rin-E-ak.

I believe it was health problems but I'm not positive. He didn't want the grind of a full season schedule.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 08:44 PM)

That's what I want to know about it

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 10:35 AM)
Ozzie says the Sox future (infield) is Beckham-Ramirez and Getz. No mention of 1B, but hopefully that includes PK. I like Nix, but he is the super sub. Maybe if Chris is back in sept we can stil make a run at this thing

I imagine we sent Wise down to learn to play 1B.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)
Honestly, you would think Nix was even a decent major leaguer judging by every post you make.

He is a good major leaguer. Good power, can draw a walk, and plays fantastic defense. He's a better version of Juan Uribe.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)
He is a good major leaguer. Good power, can draw a walk, and plays fantastic defense. He's a better version of Juan Uribe.

Except for the part where Uribe could play 3 positions, and Nix has proven he can play only one at the Major League level. Oh wait, so he's nothing like Juan Uribe, other than a garbage batting average.