Arizona Fall League

flavum

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 10:24 PM)
Good to see Cassel in there - after a big year in AA in 2008, he really bombed out in 2009, so he obviously needs some work.

I think it's a wasted space personally. His big 2008 season was only big in regards to his great ERA, which isn't a good statistic for projecting a prospect, his K rate and K/BB rates were not good and I don't think Cassel has any Major League potential.

Edited by Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)
I think it's a wasted space personally. His big 2008 season was only big in regards to his great ERA, which isn't a good statistic for projecting a prospect, his K rate and K/BB rates were not good and I don't think Cassel has any Major League potential.

Just wait until the person in front of him gets hurt. He'll step up big time and will wind up being K.C.'s #1 starter within a season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 02:31 AM)
I am pretty surprised to see Jonnie Lowe, Henry Mabee and Jacob Rasner on that list. I figured there would be other guys ahead of them.

I don't mind Rasner or Mabee being there but Lowe and Cassel don't deserve a spot.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 09:31 PM)
I am pretty surprised to see Jonnie Lowe, Henry Mabee and Jacob Rasner on that list. I figured there would be other guys ahead of them.

I'm surprised about Mabee too. I can see why Rasner would get an invite. Any big time pitching prospect is probably off the list due to limiting their innings pitched.

Regarding the selections...

Keep in mind the purpose of the AFL...

It's not necessarily true that teams send their best prospects there.

Sometimes they send guys who they are trying to make decisions about...

And sometimes the AFL is used as a showcase for guys teams are looking to move.

Edited by scenario

Keep in mind the eligibility requirements of the AFL:

All Triple-A and Double-A players are eligible, provided the players are on at least a Double-A level roster no later than Aug. 1.

One player below the Double-A level is allowed per Major League team.

One foreign player is allowed, as long as the player does not reside in a country that participates in winter ball, as part of the Caribbean Confederation or the Australian winter league.

No players with more than one year of credited Major League service as of August 31 are eligible, except a team may select one player picked in the most recently concluded Major League Rule 5 Draft.

To be eligible, players on Minor League disabled lists must be activated at least 45 days before the conclusion of their respective seasons.

So some of the lower-level guys weren't even eligible. I guess Mitchell was, but picking Mitchell would have precluded Morel I believe. It is surprising not to see Mitchell though after Beckham went the previous year.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 10:52 PM)
Regarding the selections...

Keep in mind the purpose of the AFL...

It's not necessarily true that teams send their best prospects there.

Sometimes they send guys who they are trying to make decisions about...

And sometimes the AFL is used as a showcase for guys teams are looking to move.

Exactly - some guys are there to get them off the fence, some are there because they missed some playing time for whatever reason, some are being showcased to get some sort of return... depends on the player.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
So this means Viciedo won't be in Chicago in September... interesting.

Not necessarily...

The AFL starts in mid-October.

That shouldn't preclude him from being in Chicago in September.

He won't be in Chicago but it has nothing to do with him being in the Fall League. He's not ready and the Sox aren't going to spend 66K to call him up cause he really adds zero value to a bench (he's not ready to hit ML pitching and he isn't a good defensive player or base runner so I see no value added in promoting him).

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
Their plans for retherford are unclear to me

I think they want to see how he'll play against consistently better pitching.

That will help them evaluate how serious of a prospect he is.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 12:57 AM)
Mitchell probably isn't on the same track Beckham was. It's likely we'll see Mitchell there next fall though.

there hasn't been a prospect i can remember in the last decade that has been on the same track beckham was, for any organization

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
So this means Viciedo won't be in Chicago in September... interesting.

his .692 OPS in AA doesn't exactly scream "major league ready"