Marvin Harrison to the Bears?

Starvin' Marvin: If Harrison's Hungry To Get Back Out There, Chicago May Help

Nearly two weeks ago, when appearing on the "Waddle & Silvy Show" (an ESPN Radio program in Chicago), former Colts Head Coach, Tony Dungy stated, "I think he definitely can play, and I would encourage [bears Head Coach] Lovie [smith] to sign him if they had an opening."

According to an undisclosed source of mine, that encouragement from Tony Dungy may have worked on Coach Lovie Smith as the Bears have offered Marvin a contract to play for the Bears in 2009.

Smith, however, has not publicly commented on whether or not the Bears would be interested in signing the eight-time Pro Bowler.

Tony Dungy coached Harrison during his seven-year tenure with the Indianapolis Colts, during that time the Colts appeared in several AFC Championship games, and won Super Bowl XLI. Dungy retired as head coach of the Colts on January 12, 2009, Harrison elected free agency just a few weeks afterwards.

Harrison, who has racked up 128 touchdown catches and 14,580 yards receiving yards throughout his career, has also reportedly visited several other clubs including the Tennessee Titans, but none of them have offered Harrison a contract.

If in fact Harrison joins Chicago, his arrival should make the Bears' offense the best in the NFC North. His ability to stretch the field will allow for quarterback Jay Cutler to throw deep passes to him, as well as freeing up the middle for short throws to tight end Greg Olsen and dump-off passes to running back Matt Forte.

It is likely that Harrison would want to join a team that best fits his style of play, and gives him a chance to win another Super Bowl. In that case, Chicago could be the best place for Marvin Harrison to end his already astounding career.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/242506-...home-in-chicago

The NFC North keeps getting more interesting.

More news on Harrison, who celebrates his birthday today:

Titans won't be calling (back) Harrison

Posted by Mike Florio on August 25, 2009 2:55 PM ET

An old-fashioned pissing match broke out last week regarding the question of whether the Titans had contacted receiver Marvin Harrison.

ESPN's Adam Schefter, on his first day on the job in Bristol, reported that they did. Coach Jeff Fisher claimed that they didn't. We later learned that Schefter was right. (And some of you continue to think we're full of something other than chocolate. As long as you type in the correct URL, we're fine with that.)

Regardless of whether a call previously was made (and we think it was), the Titans won't be calling Harrison now, even after cutting receiver Chris Davis and losing receiver Nate Washington, possibly beyond Week One of the regular season.

Per Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean, the Titans aren't interested in Harrison. And Wyatt's reasoning -- grounded in preserving the ego and power of the mustachioed coach -- makes perfect sense.

"Fisher has been adamant about his non-interest in Harrison," Wyatt writes. "If the team made a run at him now, it would make Fisher look both powerless and clueless."

Our guess is that an inquiry was made regarding Harrison's potential interest in joining the Titans, and that once Tennessee heard the asking price, they opted instead to pretend the call was never made.

Though we've yet to learn the precise amount of the offer the Colts extended in an effort to persuade Harrison to stick around at a salary lower than the $9 million he was due to earn, we have a feeling that Indy's best offer as of late February greatly exceeds the one-year veteran minimum ballpark in which teams currently interested in Harrison might be residing.

And so the last thing the Titans need is pressure from the media and the fans to spend some of the money that wasn't devoted to keeping defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth in Nashville on a big-name wideout whose best days have faded into the rear view mirror at about the same rate of speed that Haynesworth drives his car.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...-back-harrison/

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 05:00 PM)
Very interesting. This would be a good move because I think Marvin (assuming he's a good worker), could teach the Bears WR's a lot of stuff.

That would be reason #1 to sign him IMO. If he could help the kids, it would be awesome. If not, his best days have passed anyway.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 05:14 PM)
Doesn't Harrison have a pretty large reputation of being a loner and not having very my friends on teams he plays for?

I honestly don't know. I'll be the first to admit I am 100% fair weather football fan. It ranks under baseball, hockey, and basketball for me.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 05:14 PM)
Doesn't Harrison have a pretty large reputation of being a loner and not having very my friends on teams he plays for?

Yes, he also has a rep of needing TONS of reps in practice because he relies so much on being precise and having exact timing, which isnt a luxury the Bears can afford him.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)

If Harrison didn't have a bad rep I'm convinced he'd have been signed by at least 5 teams by now. There's a lot going on under the surface with him that most teams aren't talking about.

I actually heard that the big thing preventing Harrison from signing is the fact that he's not a practice player and because of that he looks poor in workouts and teams are hesitant to give him a shot.

If Dungy is talking him up that is a good thing though since he was his coach for a few seasons and knows him pretty well.

I am very much against threads that are started linking to a Bleacher Report article. Quick, I'll go write an article that the Bears are close to trading for Brandon Marshall. It still won't matter.

That site and what is reported on it is completely worthless.