the OFFICIAL this team is really frustrating me thread

SockMe

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 09:14 AM)
I don't think it is just Linebrink. Almost all of our pitchers have been brutal with 2 outs, and even worse with RISP and 2 outs. I don't know the stats, but I know it is bad. Also, I know our bullpen has been pretty bad with inherited runners. Those two are recipes for disaster.

yeah over the last month it has gotten much worse. Even the guy you can count on(Thornton) is getting touched up

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 09:21 AM)
yeah over the last month it has gotten much worse. Even the guy you can count on(Thornton) is getting touched up

I'm actually dumbfounded that opposing scouts haven't figured out that he throws nothing but a steady diet of lazer straight fastballs down the middle of the plate.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 09:24 AM)
I'm actually dumbfounded that opposing scouts haven't figured out that he throws nothing but a steady diet of lazer straight fastballs down the middle of the plate.

He has good location of his fastball, when he elevates it around the hands, it is almost unhittable. Also, he has been burying his slider in the dirt a lot lately and that has gotten him a lot of Ks.

For Thornton it is all about location, when he doesnt have it, he gets hit hard.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 07:19 AM)
Woke up to see that Detroit is finally starting to hit their stride. Twins as well. Oh well.

Its going to be between the Twins and Tigers. The Twins are on fire. Good for them to keep it interesting. Something we are not capable of doing.

Kenny Williams is seeing that he cant compete with the big boys UNTIL we get a legit leadoff hitter,get rid of S#ITBRNK,and get Alexi outta of SS.

Also i love JD but he needs to be outta of the line-up this is not the time to let him work outta his slump and keep hitting lazy pop ups to the infield!

I honestly don't think Dotel's actually better than he was last year.

His WHIP is near 1.5 and he's allowed over half of his inherited runners to score.

His ERA was pretty good before the Boston game the other night, but eh...

He was having a good stretch recently, but I really don't think he's all that good this year.

QUOTE (buckweaver @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 08:24 AM)
Add some preseason perspective to this thread to keep yourselves from pulling the rest of your hair out. Experts picked the Sox to be about 10 games under .500 (I truly thought .500) and the the Cubs to be one of the best teams in baseball...make it to the World Series...one of the top two or three teams to win it.

August 26: Sox are at .500, organization on the upswing, feeling good about the years to come, and have the opportunity to put the young team and some revered veterans through an actual pennant race b/c they're in a mediocre division. The only reason we're gnashing teeth is because they've stayed in the race...not a bad place to be.

On the North side, Cubs are in a free fall, just a game over, no realistic chance at making the playoffs, just saw their ace (hole) pitcher get blown out by the worst team in AAA, have a bunch of malcontents signed to really bad long-term contracts, and have no young players to really hope will turn into stars (the riot's probably the player he will always be and Soto saw his rookie season as his MVP year). The only thing they have going for them is a new owner.

Always true regardless...but it's REALLY better to be a Sox fan today.

Drink well, my friends.

I'll drink to that!

QUOTE (C_LEE45 @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)
your right about pods, but his D and base running sucks, contenders yankees,red sox,angels

Ellsbury,jeter,figgins, so my #1 thing would be figgins in the off season.

Don’t look at this in a vacuum. Look at the players you listed and their teammates. This isn’t the result of being a great lead-off hitter, it’s simply being a good HITTER surrounded by other good HITTERS, and honestly, Ellsbury is more of a good base runner then anything.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 08:24 PM)
I’m sorry. I know there’s a difference between being a fan of the game and a student of the game, but taking issue with both these things is both petty and absurd.

Then you misunderstood the point of my post. Those things have their place but my point was that people get a lil too angry and tend to lash out rather than read a post a few times getting its full meaning before they respond. There's lot of lurkers who probably would like to contribute more but don't because in reality people are much braver on a message board then they would be face to face .

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 03:44 PM)
There's lot of lurkers who probably would like to contribute more but don't because in reality people are much braver on a message board then they would be face to face .

I'm the opposite. I go up to people and punch them in the face in real life if they even look at me sideways.

I know there is 'Dotel love on this board.

He has been far from effective IMO. I haven't examined all the stats, but my own eye tells me he's a base on balls machine and a guy I don't want on my team.

I hope we get rid of him.

Only guys worth a s*** in our pen are Carrasco who is good for what he's asked to do; Bobby and Thonrton.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 06:30 PM)

He has been far from effective IMO. I haven't examined all the stats, but my own eye tells me he's a base on balls machine and a guy I don't want on my team.

Only guys worth a s*** in our pen are Carrasco who is good for what he's asked to do; Bobby and Thonrton.

Then your eyes be deceiving you.

Dotel is better than 65% of current day major league relievers. (non-closers)

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 11:30 PM)

Through August 9, his BB/9IP was at 7.0. He's currently at just over 6.0, but his WHIP ratio is still in the 1.50 range.

I don't know how, but his ERA stood at 2.59 before the August 24 game in Boston. This is why meatheads are defending his 2009 performance. To me, he's just been lucky as hell. More than 70% of the guys that he has walked up to this point have been left stranded. He has 62 K in 49 IP, but that doesn't explain everything. I think that he might have a horseshoe stuffed way up his ass. Maybe even a gerbil.