Edward Kennedy dies at 77

whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 12:01 AM)
I can't find the link, but I know I read somewhere that back in the Nixon era, kennedy OPPOSED a version of national healthcare that was proposed back then. I have to find that later.

Hell, Obama's voted against health care legislation. Gov't's got to take over (or at least language that's similiar so that we get that OPTION (please)) or it's not health INSURANCE reform (nice change in language - insurance companies SUCK, get them bastards!).

/back to Kennedy's a saint talk

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 12:01 AM)
I can't find the link, but I know I read somewhere that back in the Nixon era, kennedy OPPOSED a version of national healthcare that was proposed back then. I have to find that later.

He later said he regretted not working more with his political foe in making that happen. It probably shaped his later talents in crossing the aisle and getting things done. Sometimes it takes a few terms before leaders understand how to make bi-partisanship work.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 07:45 PM)
Senator Kennedy politicizes his own funeral. (letter addressed to the Pope, written by the late Senator, read at his funearl)

How can you separate him, or anyone, from their work? Like him or hate him, his life was the Senate, being the Senator from Massachusetts and the causes he fought for. If my funeral was a platform I could urge people to serve youth, I would.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 09:54 AM)
He later said he regretted not working more with his political foe in making that happen. It probably shaped his later talents in crossing the aisle and getting things done. Sometimes it takes a few terms before leaders understand how to make bi-partisanship work.

He is SO bi-partisan. He's reached out to SO many Republicans since he's been president. Oh wait, he's got his hand out, it's shake my hand, do it my way, or f*** you. Bi-partisan my ass.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 01:01 AM)

It was a Nixon plan to mandate all employers offer healthcare insurance for all their employees and although he initially opposed the plan, he did work with Nixon and developed a compromise that he did introduce in Congress. Watergate derailed the plan.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 12:23 PM)
He is SO bi-partisan. He's reached out to SO many Republicans since he's been president. Oh wait, he's got his hand out, it's shake my hand, do it my way, or f*** you. Bi-partisan my ass.

You do know Tex was talking about Sen. Kennedy and not Obama, right?

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)

Perhaps John McCain and other Senate Republicans have been lying?

Sen. John McCain, an Arizona Republican who is the GOP's presumptive nominee for president, had a similar statement.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and to him. We hope and pray that they will be able to treat it and that he will experience a full recovery," he said.

"I have described Ted Kennedy as the last lion in the Senate," a tearful McCain said on his campaign bus in Florida. "And I have held that view because he remains the single most effective member of the Senate."

McCain misses Ted Kennedy.

“No person in that institution is indispensable, but Ted Kennedy comes as close to being indispensable as any individual I've ever known in the Senate because he had a unique way of sitting down with the parties at a table and making the right concessions, which really are the essence of successful negotiations. So it's huge that he's absent, not only because of my personal affection for him, but because I think the health care reform might be in a very different place today.”

McCain urged the President to begin his own bipartisan negotiations under one condition – drop the public option.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 04:39 PM)
How about Kennedy wanting to secretly meet the Soviets to tell them how to counter our president in the 1980s? Great move.

Yep, and with all the Reagan deals before and after it is kind of scary what all goes on.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 08:08 AM)
Its news to me - perhaps you could substantiate it for us.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/08/27/ted-kenne...r-robinson.html

This is about as credible of a source as can be found.And here is a little background on who wrote the piece

Peter M. Robinson is a rese

arch fellow at the Hoover Institution, where he writes about business and politics, edits Hoover's quarterly journal, the Hoover Digest, and hosts Hoover's vidcast program, Uncommon Knowledge.

Robinson is also the author of three books: How Ronald Reagan Changed My Life (Regan Books, 2003); It's My Party: A Republican's Messy Love Affair with the GOP, (Warner Books, 2000); and the best-selling business book Snapshots from Hell: The Making of an MBA (Warner Books, 1994; still available in paperback).

In 1979, he graduated summa cum laude from Dartmouth College, where he majored in English. He went on to study politics, philosophy, and economics at Oxford University, from which he graduated in 1982.

Robinson spent six years in the White House, serving from 1982 to 1983 as chief speechwriter to Vice President George Bush and from 1983 to 1988 as special assistant and speechwriter to President Ronald Reagan. He wrote the historic Berlin Wall address in which President Reagan called on General Secretary Mikhail Gorbachev to "tear down this wall!"

It was a really bonehead move on the part of Kennedy, and really ridiculous.

Interesting piece, but there's a bit of a revisionist history - calling Kennedy's actions providing "aid and comfort" is a bit much. You could make a good argument that it was Reagan/Bush detente with a Soviet Union crumbling from within due to its own economic pressures that were the bigger issues.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 08:12 AM)
I just googled it... Is Forbes good enough?

Gee looks like my link, I guess you have me on ignore :) I feel like Balta :lolhitting

Well written piece, and since he was Reagan's speechwriter, we should expect nothing less.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 08:11 AM)

This is about as credible of a source as can be found.And here is a little background on who wrote the piece

Peter M. Robinson is a rese

Interesting. I guess he believed a continuation of detente would be more effective than the Reagan strategy. Good thing Kennedy didn't get anything done, since he was way off base. Besides, even if he had good ideas, that's an underhanded thing to do to the President in any case, and incredibly inappropriate.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 01:08 PM)
Interesting. I guess he believed a continuation of detente would be more effective than the Reagan strategy. Good thing Kennedy didn't get anything done, since he was way off base. Besides, even if he had good ideas, that's an underhanded thing to do to the President in any case, and incredibly inappropriate.

After a couple years cooling off, I think Reagan provided more detente to the Soviets than nearly any other President since Roosevelt.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
After a couple years cooling off, I think Reagan provided more detente to the Soviets than nearly any other President since Roosevelt.

I'd say, sort of. He was providing detente at the higher levels, but doing everything possible to crumble their infrastructure under the hood.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
I'd say, sort of. He was providing detente at the higher levels, but doing everything possible to crumble their infrastructure under the hood.

Believe it or not, that's somewhat of a legacy of the Carter administration. It was Carter that presided over requests to restart the arms race with the USSR after their invasion of Afghanistan in 1979 and 1980.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 02:16 PM)
Believe it or not, that's somewhat of a legacy of the Carter administration. It was Carter that presided over requests to restart the arms race with the USSR after their invasion of Afghanistan in 1979 and 1980.

As I understand it, Congress was doing that more or less without Carter's support. Maybe I am misremembering.