Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Oct 28, 2009 -> 04:44 PM)
Yes, everyone and their mother is picking Kansas. Dont believe the hype with Kentucky, its like a dirty wet dream there.

Yeah you gotta go with Kansas at this point. Kentucky could be awesome but way too many unknowns aright now. Texas is gonna be a real tough out too. I really like Villanova also.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 28, 2009 -> 03:46 PM)
Yeah you gotta go with Kansas at this point. Kentucky could be awesome but way too many unknowns aright now. Texas is gonna be a real tough out too. I really like Villanova also.

I've got a way too early Final 4 of...

Michigan State,

Texas,

Kansas,

West Virginia

My dark horse is FSU, and my dark, dark horse is Richmond :-).

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Oct 28, 2009 -> 05:10 PM)
I've got a way too early Final 4 of...

Michigan State,

Texas,

Kansas,

West Virginia

My dark horse is FSU, and my dark, dark horse is Richmond :-).

FSU is always a dark horse and they never put it together. Alabi has the potential to be a beast but it's gonna be hard for them to significantly improve the year after losing Tony Douglass IMO

First pre-season Top 25 is out

Coaches Poll

1. Kansas

2. MSU

3. Texas

4. UNC

5. Kentucky

6. Nova

7. Purdue

8. Duke (really? again we're gonna do this with them?)

9. WVU

10. Butler

11. Tennessee

12. Cal

13. Washington

14. UCONN

15. Michigan

16. OU

17. Ohio St

18. Minnesota

19. Miss St

20. Ga Tech

21. G'Town

22. Dayton

23. L'Ville

24. Clemson

25. Syracuse

I think it's a little sickening the love that Calipari gets. Kentucky was awful last year, but his arrival, along with a bunch of untested freshman, get a top 5 spot? Please. Even the Dukies don't get that kind of love (and yes, it's sickening that yet again that team is ranked in the top 10, despite the fact they have done nothing the last decade to warrant it. Is it getting to the point that we can call them the most underachieving program relevant to its ranking/tourney seeding?)

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 08:50 AM)
I think it's a little sickening the love that Calipari gets. Kentucky was awful last year, but his arrival, along with a bunch of untested freshman, get a top 5 spot? Please. Even the Dukies don't get that kind of love (and yes, it's sickening that yet again that team is ranked in the top 10, despite the fact they have done nothing the last decade to warrant it. Is it getting to the point that we can call them the most underachieving program relevant to its ranking/tourney seeding?)

not to mention they lose the nations 6th best scorer from last year...that said they have ridiculous talent coming in....john wall and cousins are legit lottery picks.....we've seen what impact freshman can do for teams over the past few years, even if they are inexperienced

QUOTE (kev211 @ Oct 28, 2009 -> 11:22 PM)
It's more just you can't beat ISU :)

eh, SIU had their way with ISU through their tournament run. Too bad ISU cannot have a similar tournament run while SIU is down and the roles are reversed ;)

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 08:39 AM)

Coaches Poll

1. Kansas

2. MSU

3. Texas

4. UNC

5. Kentucky

6. Nova

7. Purdue

9. WVU

10. Butler

11. Tennessee

12. Cal

13. Washington

14. UCONN

15. Michigan

16. OU

17. Ohio St

18. Minnesota

19. Miss St

20. Ga Tech

21. G'Town

22. Dayton

23. L'Ville

24. Clemson

25. Syracuse

Illini ranked 27th...thats pretty fair, they have huge potential, but are dependent on some young guys stepping up and showing big improvemnt

Although with the loss of Chester Frazier, I am a bit worried they might end up falling short like the 06 Sox, due to a lack of the fire and the passion

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 08:36 AM)
FSU is always a dark horse and they never put it together. Alabi has the potential to be a beast but it's gonna be hard for them to significantly improve the year after losing Tony Douglass IMO

FSU has a ridiculous amount of talent now, almost their entire roster is made up of 4 and 5 star players. They also added a great defender in freshmen Michael Snaer.

FSU, UNC, Duke, and GT have a close four horse race for the most talent in the ACC this year.

FSU, GT, and UNC are more athletic than Duke.

UNC and Duke are better coached, but having UNC at #4 and Duke in the top 10 is pretty absurd. UNC should be around 10-12 at best with questions at PG and SG.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 10:13 AM)
FSU has a ridiculous amount of talent now, almost their entire roster is made up of 4 and 5 star players. They also added a great defender in freshmen Michael Snaer.

FSU, UNC, Duke, and GT have a close four horse race for the most talent in the ACC this year.

FSU, GT, and UNC are more athletic than Duke.

UNC and Duke are better coached, but having UNC at #4 and Duke in the top 10 is pretty absurd. UNC should be around 10-12 at best with questions at PG and SG.

A bar league softball team is more athletic than Duke.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see FSU play well. I'm a UCONN guy but since FSU is my football team I've always rooted for them too. It just seems every year they get these good recruits and every year something happens where they are great one week and then go out and get some awful losses the next. I just don't have much faith in them. They lost a bunch of their scoring from last year and I still think they are another year away, which of course means Alabi goes pro and isnt around for it and the cycle continues...

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 08:39 AM)

Coaches Poll

1. Kansas

2. MSU

3. Texas

4. UNC

5. Kentucky

6. Nova

7. Purdue

9. WVU

10. Butler

11. Tennessee

12. Cal

13. Washington

14. UCONN

15. Michigan

16. OU

17. Ohio St

18. Minnesota

19. Miss St

20. Ga Tech

21. G'Town

22. Dayton

23. L'Ville

24. Clemson

25. Syracuse

:)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 09:00 AM)
eh, SIU had their way with ISU through their tournament run. Too bad ISU cannot have a similar tournament run while SIU is down and the roles are reversed ;)

It be nice, but the selection committee doesn't give as much at larges to mid majors anymore. ;)

Edited by kev211

AP Poll:

1. Kansas 27-8

2. Michigan St. 31-7

3. Texas 23-12

4. Kentucky

5. Villanova

6. North Carolina

7. Purdue 27-10

8. West Virginia 23-12

9. Duke 30-7

10. Tennessee

11. Butler 26-6

12. Connecticut

13. California 22-11

14. Washington 26-9

15. Michigan 21-14

16. Ohio St. 22-11

17. Oklahoma 30-6

18. Mississippi St.

19. Louisville 31-6

20. Georgetown 16-15

21. Dayton 27-8

22. Georgia Tech

23. Illinois 24-10

24. Clemson 23-9

25. Minnesota 22-11

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)
AP Poll:

1. Kansas 27-8

2. Michigan St. 31-7

3. Texas 23-12

4. Kentucky

5. Villanova

6. North Carolina

7. Purdue 27-10

8. West Virginia 23-12

9. Duke 30-7

10. Tennessee

11. Butler 26-6

12. Connecticut

13. California 22-11

14. Washington 26-9

15. Michigan 21-14

16. Ohio St. 22-11

17. Oklahoma 30-6

18. Mississippi St.

19. Louisville 31-6

20. Georgetown 16-15

21. Dayton 27-8

22. Georgia Tech

23. Illinois 24-10

24. Clemson 23-9

25. Minnesota 22-11

When I saw a newspaper article today about TN being preseason #10, I was a bit surprised. I didn't realize we had that much respect this year. I mean, I've always thought we were going to be good, but I didn't think the rest of the country would think so.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 09:22 AM)
A bar league softball team is more athletic than Duke.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see FSU play well. I'm a UCONN guy but since FSU is my football team I've always rooted for them too. It just seems every year they get these good recruits and every year something happens where they are great one week and then go out and get some awful losses the next. I just don't have much faith in them. They lost a bunch of their scoring from last year and I still think they are another year away, which of course means Alabi goes pro and isnt around for it and the cycle continues...

The only player we lost is TD. Don't get me wrong, he was amazing at FSU, but I feel that Leonard was forced to run the offense through him. This also meant a lot of bad shots and turnovers trying to get him the ball. I expect to see more offense from the team as a whole this year although we lost Toney, especially since everyone besides him is coming back. Coach Ham is also trying to use the teams athleticism to his advantage and wants to up the tempo which will be nice to see from a Florida St team. I don't expect to beat Ohio St (which I'm upset we're on the road again this year, I've only seen one Big 10/ACC game in my four years and it was vs Minn). I don't expect to win the ACC this year at all, but I do think we make the dance again. I also wish we played Duke and UNC at home, but what can you do. I hope Soloman comes back too after this season, but he is already receiving the hype. That being said, I can't wait for Tuesday for the exhibition game to see Snaer and Shannon (built like a Clemson PF) play. I also expect Gibson to have a break out year. Hopefully I get to Disney too over Thanksgiving break to see the Old Spice Classic Tournament.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Oct 28, 2009 -> 03:41 PM)
?? Do you mean Kansas?

Now that I am aware of what the Polls look like, yes, Kansas is the early favorite. I still like Kentucky even with the unknowns.

Of course i want Purdue to win it all :)

I go to Purdue and absolutely despise the basketball team. I hope Indiana can surprise a few people this year with the freshman, hopefully Purdue. Looks like they are going to have a pretty good year though. The one player I can't stand in college bball is Chris Kramer, but he's going to be key for their team this year.

Edited by He_Gawn