Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (kev211 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 02:45 AM)
Good thing it's still this year. But they'll only be down 1-2 years. Our freshman class we have this year is legit so they will be good in 2ish years hopefully, and we have one great commitment already this year.

Enough ISU talk, i bet the Kansas 2nd string team could beat ISU by 30.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 01:08 PM)
Most of those guys are depth/role player types outside of Lucas, who won't be eligible until the second semester, and possibly Brown (haven't really seen him play). There's a reason that Texas struggled with their backcourt at times last year: it was all of those guys getting minutes and Abrams being forced to play the point for long stretches.

Bradley is clearly the most talented player in the bunch and should get considerably more PT than the rest of those collected masses. I don't think it's a stretch to say he could replace most of AJ Abrams' production. That's a bit different than Henry's situation where Collins is clearly ahead of him on the list of scoring options and Taylor likely is as well.

The problem is that Bradley isn't a PG, and would be out of position like AJ Abrams was as you mentioned. Bradley has senior Justin Mason, sophomore Varez Ward, and red-shirt frosh J'Covan Brown all in the 6'2 SG role vying for minutes along with Bradley.

There's no doubt that Bradley is the most talented, but there's just too many talented cooks in the kitchen at the SG position for UT for Bradley to put up 15ppg. Never mind the post scoring ability with James, Pittman, Johnson, Jordan Hamilton, etc etc. I do admit that UT really needs his outside shooting this year.

I'm guessing he posts somewhere between 10-12 ppg and returns to school for a heralded sophomore campaign.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
The problem is that Bradley isn't a PG, and would be out of position like AJ Abrams was as you mentioned. Bradley has senior Justin Mason, sophomore Varez Ward, and red-shirt frosh J'Covan Brown all in the 6'2 SG role vying for minutes along with Bradley.

There's no doubt that Bradley is the most talented, but there's just too many talented cooks in the kitchen at the SG position for UT for Bradley to put up 15ppg. Never mind the post scoring ability with James, Pittman, Johnson, Jordan Hamilton, etc etc. I do admit that UT really needs his outside shooting this year.

I'm guessing he posts somewhere between 10-12 ppg and returns to school for a heralded sophomore campaign.

Balbay and Lucas will probably get the bulk of the point guard minutes, but especially early in the year while Lucas can't play I suspect Bradley will get some time there. He's not a real PG, but with his driving ability he should be able to make some plays by default, kind of like Wade does in the NBA. Abrams was much more of a spot-up shooter, so playing off the ball suited him much better.

Mason will probably get most of his minutes as the third guard/SF as the role player/spot-up shooter much like last year, which really only leaves him with Ward and Brown fighting for minutes. Bradley is very likely to win that battle convincingly.

Texas is going to average in the high 70's/low 80's, there should be quite a few points to go around. It's also in his favor that most of their other guard options like Balby, Ward and Mason are pretty limited offensively and they will need some production from the perimeter to complement James, Pittman and Johnson down low. Their only real options to do that are Bradley, Lucas and Hamilton and Avery seems to be the most likely to do that by a fairly wide margin.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Gophers beat Duluth tonight 114-47. Damian Johnson was his typical awesome self with 16 points, 10 boards, four assists, seven steals and three blocks. This was the first time I've ever seen the Gophers score 100 and probably the last, but it was pretty damn enjoyable. Duluth had more turnovers than points well into the second half, they couldn't do anything.

Which was expected, it was exhibition :P

QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 10:41 PM)
Gophers beat Duluth tonight 114-47. Damian Johnson was his typical awesome self with 16 points, 10 boards, four assists, seven steals and three blocks. This was the first time I've ever seen the Gophers score 100 and probably the last, but it was pretty damn enjoyable. Duluth had more turnovers than points well into the second half, they couldn't do anything.

Which was expected, it was exhibition :P

Jim Boheim says @#$! you. :-)

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 07:09 PM)
So for our last exhibtion game on Saturday we get to play Southern Indiana and THE Jamar Smith. Thought some of you U of I fans might find that interesting.

SIU pulled out a two point win with a last second tip-in. Jamar put up 23, 11 of those in the fourth. Dude could have been good in division one, but he has no one else to blame except for himself for his problems

So Ga Tech beat a solid IUP team in overtime today. I normally don't care about exhibition games, but after all the coverage the Syracuse game received last week, I'm thankful GT won. GT played the 2nd half without Shumpert, who was in control of the game in the first half. With all of that said, I just wanted to vent that I think Paul Hewitt is a good man, but he's the worst f***ing coach in any sport in any league. He's living off of one tournament run in which he had amazing guards and that team still had to barely survive all 5 victories in the tournament. I can only hope he gets fired after this season if the team fails to make the tournament, as Lawal/Favors/Shumpert are all supposedly going to declare for the draft. Thanks for letting me vent, that makes me feel better.

Last exhibition for the Gophers today, facing off with MSU Moorhead tonight. It should be another blowout, although I doubt we'll crack triple digits again. I've got a feeling that was a one time thing :P (although MSU is fairly awful, so I guess it's possible)

Gophers beat MSU 98-49. We played much worse than we did against Duluth, but still didn't let up more than 50 points and still nearly hit triple digits. I think that's a testament to how much more talented this team is than past years teams, although it could also just mean that MSU and Duluth are godawful teams that anyone could score 100 on.

Season starts on Friday, I absolutely cannot wait.

Edited by Felix

The kid is a moron. How can you be this stupid when you're given a chance by a Division I school to play basketball? That doesn't even consider the fact that he's been considered talented enough to possibly play in the NBA some day, and he's basically throwing it away by being an idiot.

Obviously this is all pending whether or not he's found guilty, but it's amazing how some people can basically throw their lives away.