Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 11:22 PM)
Obviously this is all pending whether or not he's found guilty, but it's amazing how some people can basically throw their lives away.

It is incredible, and obviously hopefully he wasn't involved. If he is does Tubby get rid of him? Two thefts in only a few months on campus after getting kicked out of a High School before he got to Minny it isn't exactly a great track record.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 10:32 PM)
It is incredible, and obviously hopefully he wasn't involved. If he is does Tubby get rid of him? Two thefts in only a few months on campus after getting kicked out of a High School before he got to Minny it isn't exactly a great track record.

I can't say I'd be surprised if that happened. I seem to remember an article before White came here about how Tubby had sat him down to make sure there wouldn't be any problems when he got here. Obviously, that hasn't stuck at all if this latest allegation is true.

White has had a s*** eating look on his face after both of the two exhibition games this year too. After each game the players walk by the student section giving high fives and such, and after both games White basically looked like he was soaking it all in as the prodigal son of Minnesota. He really needs to learn that he needs to be accountable for his actions and no matter how good you are at basketball, it doesn't matter if you keep f***ing things up.

This is true regardless of whether this latest thing is true or not. From the sound of that article, White was just in the dorm at the same time of the crime, so there isn't anything too obvious linking him to it. It sounds like he's just being considered a suspect (like everyone else that was in the dorm at the time), and there haven't been any other claims yet. Hopefully it stays that way and nothing comes from it.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 11:36 PM)
Well, NU's tournament chances just took a big hit. Kevin Coble injured his foot. No diagnosis yet, but early reports range from several weeks to the whole season if he needs surgery. <_>

That blows. I like Coble a lot. I've got a thing for goofy lookin' white dudes that can ball their ass off.

Season opener is tonight for the Gophers! Both our exhibition games were complete blowouts and I'm expecting more of the same tonight against Tennessee Tech, but I'm pumped that regular season college basketball is back. This is the second best time of year behind only baseball season :)

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 11:56 AM)
Season opener is tonight for the Gophers! Both are exhibition games were complete blowouts and I'm expecting more of the same tonight against Tennessee Tech, but I'm pumped that regular season college basketball is back. This is the second best time of year behind only baseball season :)

Good god, when does Minny play a real team?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)

We play Butler on November 26 as part of the 76 Classic. The field is pretty good, with Butler, Clemson, UCLA, Texas A&M and West Virginia all taking part.

I'm not really sure what you expected if you're surprised by the fact that we played two easy teams for exhibitions and then started the season with some pushovers. Most/all teams do this :P

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)

When does any team play anyone good in the first week or two? I think Seth Davis of SI had this same complaint, why isn't there a huge blockbuster set of games to open the season? You have a "preseason" just like in baseball, why do you need 4-5 games of Div II or really awful Div I games before those tournaments start (which less face it, at best there's 2-3 of those that have games with good teams going head to head - coaches v cancer, maui [clearly the best] and one more I can't remember the name of).

I dunno, a minor complaint since college BB is the best sport of them all.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 01:08 PM)
at best there's 2-3 of those that have games with good teams going head to head - coaches v cancer, maui [clearly the best] and one more I can't remember the name of

76 Classic!

Brandon Paul breaks an illini record by scoring 22 points his first game, previous high by a freshmen's debut was 21 points. Both Paul and Richardson looked good out there, for the short time i saw him cant say the same for Griffey.

Edited by GoodAsGould

I noticed Legion was playing in garbage time. Not sure if that is a good sign that Paul will be starting, if he didn't tonight.

It's odd seeing Paul wear #3 in blue and orange after watching him wear #23 for the last 3 years in the blue and gold. Great start for him.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 10:09 PM)
I noticed Legion was playing in garbage time. Not sure if that is a good sign that Paul will be starting, if he didn't tonight.

It's odd seeing Paul wear #3 in blue and orange after watching him wear #23 for the last 3 years in the blue and gold. Great start for him.

Paul is starting, he and Richardson are awesome. Legion is going to just be a scorer off the bench. He will have some huge games and be a completely non factor in games as well.

Gophers took care of Tennessee Tech 87-50 last night despite struggling with their shot for much of the first half. We didn't play great, but that's what these games are for. Lawrence Westbrook really went on a tear in the second, ending up with a team high 22 points on 9/13 shooting. As per the norm, Damian Johnson did a little bit of everything. He's by far my favorite player to watch.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 11:28 PM)
Rumor Royce White has been expelled from Minnesota. That sucks. http://twitter.com/Fox9Sports

We'll see if this is true. If so, I can't really blame the school for doing it, but I'd hope that they would have substantial evidence linking him to the laptop theft. I don't really blame them for doing this though. One of the stipulations of him coming here was shaping up his act, and it doesn't look like he's done that. It's a shame to say goodbye to his type of talent, but that's just how it goes.

Beat writer for the Star Tribune claims that Royce's status is "unchanged"

http://twitter.com/GophersBBGuy/status/5710130850

That's a pretty good sign, I think. I sent a text message to a buddy of mine that works for the team, but he hasn't replied yet (and I doubt he will, leaking these types of things would probably be frowned upon :P). Hopefully this is just a baseless rumor and Royce ends up contributing for the Gophers at some point this season.

Edited by Felix