Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)
We should never be worse than UNI and should never lose to them at home.

It's not a bad loss. You guys and the selection committee painting it as bad loses make it impossible for the MVC or any other non power conferance to get more then one team to the tourney.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kev211 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 05:24 PM)
It's not a bad loss. You guys and the selection committee painting it as bad loses make it impossible for the MVC or any other non power conferance to get more then one team to the tourney.

Ridiculous. When the MVC is good they get more than one bid. In fact I think last year was the only year in the last 10 years that the MVC didn't get at least 2 bids and I think they have gotten as many as 4 in a given year. The Valley sucked last year, get over it.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 04:24 PM)

It's an indictment of our staff.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 05:21 PM)
Ridiculous. When the MVC is good they get more than one bid. In fact I think last year was the only year in the last 10 years that the MVC didn't get at least 2 bids and I think they have gotten as many as 4 in a given year. The Valley sucked last year, get over it.

Two years in a row now that they have only got one bid. The selection committee doesn't want mid majors anymore. less money for everyone.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 07:05 PM)
Two years in a row now that they have only got one bid. The selection committee doesn't want mid majors anymore. less money for everyone.

Come on, if anything the tourney is so popular because of the success of mid majors and underdogs, this isnt football. The NCAA tourney has maybe a small few teams that feel left out each year but its no nearly a "mid major" problem as much as its that some teams dont have the resume.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 07:14 PM)
Come on, if anything the tourney is so popular because of the success of mid majors and underdogs, this isnt football. The NCAA tourney has maybe a small few teams that feel left out each year but its no nearly a "mid major" problem as much as its that some teams dont have the resume.

Years ago, but the at large selections for non major conferences has been dropping every year since the MVC sent 4 teams. More and More mediocre BCS conference schools are getting the at larges. I'll never understand sending a middle of the road ACC or Big 12 school over a smaller conference team that actually had a great year.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 04:45 PM)
Anyone who was interested in Royce White, here is a video of his first action this season.

http://wcco.com/video/[email protected]

Youll notice he holds his block well against the Security Guard who is attempting to apprehend him for theft.

Awesome, and awful. Thanks for linking to that :)

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 08:14 PM)
Anyone else see the end of regulation to the Tx Tech vs Washington game? Crazy stuff

thats gotta be tough to reverse that call in front of a home crowd that just rushed the floor, but I think it was the right call, still had the ball in his hand at zeros

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 02:21 AM)
thats gotta be tough to reverse that call in front of a home crowd that just rushed the floor, but I think it was the right call, still had the ball in his hand at zeros

Yeah, after maybe seeing it for the 5th time, you could see it was still on the finger tips.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 07:17 PM)
Years ago, but the at large selections for non major conferences has been dropping every year since the MVC sent 4 teams. More and More mediocre BCS conference schools are getting the at larges. I'll never understand sending a middle of the road ACC or Big 12 school over a smaller conference team that actually had a great year.

Because having a good year in a mediocre conference with a mediocre schedule doesnt prepare a team for a tourney like a team in a good conference with a tough schedule. If the school is qualified, they'll get in.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 08:17 PM)

Name me team from a smaller conference that has had a great year that didn't get in the tournament.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 08:39 PM)
Name me team from a smaller conference that has had a great year that didn't get in the tournament.

4 mid majors got at large bids last year. 30 of the 34 at large bids went to power conference teams.

There is no argument here. It's become impossible to get into the tournament if your not a power conference team unless you win your conference tournament. The regular season no longer matters.

If your a power conference team you have to play your way out of the tournament, and a mid-major has to play themselves in.

I hope the selection committee remembers the game Creighton gave Michigan, and the game Bradley beat U of I this march when the Valley gets one bid, and the Big Ten gets 7.

Teams with great seasons should make the tournament, not mediocre teams.

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (kev211 @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 12:38 AM)
4 mid majors got at large bids last year. 30 of the 34 at large bids went to power conference teams.

There is no argument here. It's become impossible to get into the tournament if your not a power conference team unless you win your conference tournament. The regular season no longer matters.

If your a power conference team you have to play your way out of the tournament, and a mid-major has to play themselves in.

I hope the selection committee remembers the game Creighton gave Michigan, and the game Bradley beat U of I this march when the Valley gets one bid, and the Big Ten gets 7.

Teams with great seasons should make the tournament, not mediocre teams.

Define a great season then. You still didnt answer his question BTW, you just gave the numbers of teams that got bids, that is not evidence that its harder for teams to get in just because they are from a small conference. I would argue that most of those mid major teams are much more mediocre with good records than a team from a big conference would be with an average record. The NCAA tourney lets in qualified teams based on their resumes, this includes who you've played, who you've beat and who you played in your conference that season. With medicore conferences, of course you have to play your way in, because your competition level is total crap compared to a team that runs an ACC, B10 etc schedule.

Even look at your example, because a team gave an avg team in the Big Ten a game, you think it makes a conference warranted to get another bid. That is just little man syndrome. Is there more than one team in the Valley that could survive a B10 schedule?

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 08:28 PM)
Because having a good year in a mediocre conference with a mediocre schedule doesnt prepare a team for a tourney like a team in a good conference with a tough schedule. If the school is qualified, they'll get in.

I agree totally. Finishing in the middle of the pack in the ACC or Big East, etc. is more deserving then 2nd or 3rd in a mid major in most cases. Hey I went to a MAC school ( Ball State) that has had sucess in the tourney, but c'mon most times the champ let alone the runner up would not be in the upper half of the major confrences. Play in an inferior confrence you better win it. I would suggest giving the bid to the regular season champ not confrence tourney champ for mid majors. Oh, but that would bring less money to the mid major!

Edited by JuiceCruz16

And if anything I think Gonzaga has proven that the NCAA isn't stopping mid majors from becoming regular contenders. Have 2-3 solid years, win a game or two in the tourney each year, schedule a good non-conference schedule and you'll become an annual consideration even if you don't win your league. SIU was like that for a number of years.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 07:10 AM)
Is there more than one team in the Valley that could survive a B10 schedule?

Yes. And in the last 4 years the Valley has finished above at least one power conference in the rpi twice, so lets not pretend the Valley is some s***ty conference here or even "mediocre," it's a pretty solid conference. But I know, I know, the Valley has some how figured out the rpi formula and that's the only reason some thing like that could possibly happen. And if some of us have "little man syndrome" it's because some of you guys need to get off your damn high horse. Saying only one team from the Valley could survive in the b10 is ridiculous or saying that Illinois State would only have a 1 percent chance of beating Illinois is absolutely insane. Not saying the Valley is better than b10 because it isn't but some of you guys think your league is sooooooo much f***ing better just cause it's the big 10 and just because the Valley is a "mid major" league.

I'm not a big ten guy, but c'mon the Valley is NOWHERE near the big 10. They are a solid mid major conference, but night in night out playing the step up in competition every game I doubt any team would finish in the top 5-6 in the Big 10 if it played in it, let alone have two or three teams that would compete for the confrence title. The Valley might have won 2 games tops in a Valley/ACC challenge. Maybe 2 tops. Top to bottom night in night out playing in the ACC, BIG 10, Big East, Big 12, etc. is just a totally different animal them playing in the Valley or the MAC. etc. I have more respect for 6th/7th in a typical major confrence season then 2nd or 3rd in a typical mid major confrence season in most years. Just a much tougher road to go through night in and night out.

Edited by JuiceCruz16