Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)
Sad that people picked Howland as a top 5 coach in the nation also.

Have you seen the guys track-record? He built Pitt into a national top 15 program, turned UCLA back into a power-house (3 final four apperances in 4 years) and he's having a down season.

UCLA should never be this bad though.

Gophers crushed NIU tonight by 41, winning 89-48. Blake Hoffarber continues his hot streak, setting the single game three-point record in Gopher history with 8 en route to 26 points, while Lawrence Westbrook added 15 of his own. All in all, a pretty enjoyable win :)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 12:25 PM)
American beat DePaul last night? Wow.

Yeah that really is embarassing. I don't get it either. DePaul, while still a Big East whipping boy, should be better this year and American, who occasionally has a decent team, is not gonna even contend for the Patriot League this year.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)
Ouch. White leaves Minnesota.

That sucks, but I'm not too broke up about it. I'd rather not keep people like him around, regardless of how talented at basketball they are.

Still, I doubt this is the last we hear about him.

How about my old confrence the MAC beating up on the Valley! Ohio beats up on Illinois State by 18! My old school, Ball State did beat the hapless Indiana State Sycamores, as well, even though the REAL Cardinals down in Muncie aren't much this year.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 12:48 PM)
Yeah that really is embarassing. I don't get it either. DePaul, while still a Big East whipping boy, should be better this year and American, who occasionally has a decent team, is not gonna even contend for the Patriot League this year.

DP had played some really good games this year against solid opponents. I don't know WTF that was!

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 01:48 PM)

DePaul should switch places with Memphis.

Yesterday at the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame banquet Bobby Knight openly questioned why Calipari (sp?) is still allowed to coach after leaving two teams on bad terms with the NCAA. Basically saying the lack of integrity is one of the reasons he's glad he's not coaching anymore. Good to see a prominent college basketball figure come out and question Calipari.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 09:47 AM)
Yesterday at the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame banquet Bobby Knight openly questioned why Calipari (sp?) is still allowed to coach after leaving two teams on bad terms with the NCAA. Basically saying the lack of integrity is one of the reasons he's glad he's not coaching anymore. Good to see a prominent college basketball figure come out and question Calipari.

Yep. Agreed. Vitale and the rest of ESPN seem to be sucking Calipari's cock (thanks to the huge Kentucky fan base). So it's nice to hear someone question it.

Knight also made a couple of other good statements about the fact that players aren't student-athletes anymore. For example, players can qualify to play in the tounament by attending a measily 6 hours of class in the first semester, and none in the 2nd semester.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 08:42 AM)

Ha, we can probably be anywhere from 1-6 on that list. We've got to be the most unknown team in the nation so far. We have 5 blow out wins against absolute garbage teams but our two losses have come against a top 25 on the road where we had 3 or 4 guys who didn't even practice that week; and at a place where we haven't won at since the 90's with out our 2nd best player.

We have the biggest, most athletic, most offensively gifted team we've had in my 5 years in Carbondale and yet it's impossible to know just how good we are at the moment. Tonight should at least show us something, not that USD is special but the game is away from Carbondale and The Terreros have at least beat some decent teams this season unlike the rest of the cupcakes we've pasted so far.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 09:09 AM)
If both of the Freemans(especially Tony) continue to be hampered by injuries, the Salukis will have a tough year ahead of them. If they could get past that, they could put up a nice run in the MVC this year.

Sounds like Tony has gotten almost completely healthy. John's injury doesn't seem to be getting better unfortunately, it appears he's just going to have to try and tough that one out the rest of the season.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 07:42 AM)

Of course ESPN would say that. They're just promoting the big schools because it makes their company more money.

Everyone and their mother knows that ISU is the best Illinois team and always will be. Have you seen Osiris play? He's the best player in the nation.

QUOTE (Felix @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)
Of course ESPN would say that. They're just promoting the big schools because it makes their company more money.

Everyone and their mother knows that ISU is the best Illinois team and always will be. Have you seen Osiris play? He's the best player in the nation.

I love how you continue to do that, and yet I've posted nothing close to this.

I said ISU could beat U of I 25% of the time, and that the top 2-3 valley teams could hang with the 6-8 B10 teams. Yeah I'm out of line with both of those and just a stupid fanboy.

ISU has hit a two game rough patch, it happens you learn from it and hopefully emerge better. Its not like Minnesota didn't lose to Portland though which isn't solid mid-major in your guys book though because they lost 3 times.

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 07:42 AM)

I like the part where once again it wasn't as ISU fan who said U of I was 5th best in the state, or even posted these rankings when they were 5th best. Everyone keeps doing things like this and sarcastically making fun of us for being ridiculous fanboys but in reality we haven't said anything out of line in this thread.

Congrats on being ahead of us, both of us haven't beaten a good team yet so we can't really say whose better yet until conference play starts.

edit:

I'm referring to SIU being ahead of us in the last sentence.

Edited by kev211