Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 11:29 PM)
BTW, awful coaching by Weber tonight. Illinois had all the momentum when they cut it to 6 points, and he decided to bring in the most unproductive hyped player in history, Alex Legion. The offense really never recovered the rhythm they had.

It would also help if Mike Davis had a testicular implant. Because he is clearly missing his balls. Bringing in Legion didn't really hurt. He actually had a nice block shot in that stretch towards the end. What killed us was when Bill Cole came back in, lost English who drained a 3 and then English made the prayer on the next possession to seal it.

But Legion is absolutely terrible.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 05:32 AM)
It would also help if Mike Davis had a testicular implant. Because he is clearly missing his balls. Bringing in Legion didn't really hurt. He actually had a nice block shot in that stretch towards the end. What killed us was when Bill Cole came back in, lost English who drained a 3 and then English made the prayer on the next possession to seal it.

Davis plays like he's a video game character. He just jumps up and down in the same spot he started at. Never drives to the rim, and can't play defense.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 11:35 PM)
Davis plays like he's a video game character. He just jumps up and down in the same spot he started at. Never drives to the rim, and can't play defense.

And it really doesn't make sense because he is obviously a really good athlete. And generally when you have a guy like that they are great shot blockers yet he never tries to block shots, he doesn't even attempt to play help defense and he never goes up strong around the basket.

Also, this is the first year under Weber the team is underachieving significantly to their talent. There is way too much talent in the starting lineup for this team to have the losses it does. Part of it is coaching and part of it that while talented the JR class and McCamey and Davis in particular just don't play with intensity. They both are lazy on D and when their shots aren't falling it gets in their heads. Davis especially is just a very mentally weak player.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 10:29 PM)
BTW, awful coaching by Weber tonight. Illinois had all the momentum when they cut it to 6 points, and he decided to bring in the most unproductive hyped player in history, Alex Legion. The offense really never recovered the rhythm they had.

The coaching may have been the reason they lost, but it was mostly because they refused to slow it down until late in the 1st half. Mizzou had the horses to win slow, half-court battles last year, but this year they've really struggled when they don't control the tempo. It's extremely hard to run with Mizzou and Illinois didn't slow down themselves. It helps that Mizzou runs a couple guys deeper. Tisdale and a couple others looked gas when Missouri made that final run.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 10:46 PM)
Also, this is the first year under Weber the team is underachieving significantly to their talent. There is way too much talent in the starting lineup for this team to have the losses it does. Part of it is coaching and part of it that while talented the JR class and McCamey and Davis in particular just don't play with intensity. They both are lazy on D and when their shots aren't falling it gets in their heads. Davis especially is just a very mentally weak player.

I dunno if I would call it underachieving 12 games into the season. He's got 2 freshman with a world of talent but who continue to make bad decisions, a junior that has the skill set to play in the NBA but a physicality level of a 2 year old girl, and practically zero bench. On top of that he's stuck between letting his guys run (scoring 80+ a night) or focusing on defense (which they just can't do). One thing I noticed last night was that their defensive rotation was AWFUL. Everyone collapsed inside and then forgot about the guys behind them.

In reality this team should be 10-2 right now with losses to Clemson and Mizzou. The really haven't looked outmatched at any time except the first half of the Clemson game. Their losses are from really bad decision making and giving up on games. They still have two first team all-big ten players in McCamey and Tisdale. And if McCamey gets it in his head that he's one of, if not the, best PG in the Big Ten, I think he can win PotY. He's got a Frank Williams ability to drive and score, he just has to do it more.

I still think a sweet 16 run is an achievable goal, but not unless they grow some desire and play smarter basketball.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 10:20 AM)
I dunno if I would call it underachieving 12 games into the season. He's got 2 freshman with a world of talent but who continue to make bad decisions, a junior that has the skill set to play in the NBA but a physicality level of a 2 year old girl, and practically zero bench. On top of that he's stuck between letting his guys run (scoring 80+ a night) or focusing on defense (which they just can't do). One thing I noticed last night was that their defensive rotation was AWFUL. Everyone collapsed inside and then forgot about the guys behind them.

In reality this team should be 10-2 right now with losses to Clemson and Mizzou. The really haven't looked outmatched at any time except the first half of the Clemson game. Their losses are from really bad decision making and giving up on games. They still have two first team all-big ten players in McCamey and Tisdale. And if McCamey gets it in his head that he's one of, if not the, best PG in the Big Ten, I think he can win PotY. He's got a Frank Williams ability to drive and score, he just has to do it more.

I still think a sweet 16 run is an achievable goal, but not unless they grow some desire and play smarter basketball.

Illinois's starting lineup is as talented as anyone's in the Big 10. My concern is that the JR class and Keller lack the intensity and fire you need to be great. You see it time and time again that they just don't play with intensity on D and they make a lot of really lazy plays on offense. I can live with the freshmen making dumb mistakes, all freshmen do, but there is no excuse for the JRs to be playing like that. And this is the first time that I can say an Illinois's team coached by Weber lacks effort on the court. Even the team two years ago that was terrible played hard every game, they just didn't have any offensive weapons. Last years team finished 2nd in the Big 10 based largely on effort.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
The what?

You know, the way you treat people in this thread isnt even remotely funny anymore. You dont even discuss basketball anymore, you just tell everyone how great Kansas is, the end.

In fact, the condescending tone from a lot of people in this thread trumps most threads on this entire site and needs to stop.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)
You know, the way you treat people in this thread isnt even remotely funny anymore. You dont even discuss basketball anymore, you just tell everyone how great Kansas is, the end.

In fact, the condescending tone from a lot of people in this thread trumps most threads on this entire site and needs to stop.

The worst thing that ever happened to this thread was Mario Chalmers hitting that jumper.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
Well, Calipari stupidly not fouling and Douglas Roberts and Rose choking at the FT line contributed significantly as well.

Yet they were still up 3 with time winding down. Damnit!

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 26, 2009 -> 08:57 PM)
Yeah, I'd definitely be coming back that night. I don't know anyone down there anymore.

Next year I'll have my own apartment and can go to every game over break. Stupid ISU and their 2 years on campus rule.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)

Good to know, but that is honestly the first time I had heard of MVC v MWC tourney.

I will talk wholesome bball talk once conference games start, the preseason games just dont matter that much in the end to me.

If I come off cocky, I apologize, not my general intentions.

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker