Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 01:26 PM)
Nation's hardest conference?

Big 12 has 2 National title contenders, 1 presumably good team (K-State) and then others.

Id say the "hardest conference" right now is ACC or Big East. ACC has 4 ranked teams, Big East has 6.

Even the Big 10 has 4 ranked teams.

Just not sure by what objective standard Big 12 could be considered the "hardest conference". Its not #1 in RPI or Kenpom either. (In both of those ratings Big 12 is number 2, although in rpi has significantly lower SOS.)

K State is vastly overrated. Their best win is what? Dayton, Xavier, @ UNLV? Nothing top tier there. Losses to Ole Miss and at Missouri aren't great losses either. Yet K State is top 10 in the rankings, good thing rankings don't matter in basketball. Of course they host Texas tonight so this will be put to the test.

ACC proved it's not in a good year after the Big Ten/ACC Challenge. Big 12 is probably a solid #2 in the conferences.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 10:25 PM)
ACC proved it's not in a good year after the Big Ten/ACC Challenge. Big 12 is probably a solid #2 in the conferences.

People put way too much stock into the B10/ACC Challenge to determine the strength of either conference.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 10:45 PM)
There is no real good way to ever judge conferences.

I just was wondering what would make anyone think Big 12 was #1?

I can see arguments for a variety of different conferences, just Big 12 seems a stretch.

I think the depth of the conference is a great measure. Iowa really drags down the Big 10, as that's an automatic victory really, as is DePaul in the Big East. Miami is a pretty strong last place team in the ACC this season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 03:36 PM)
People put way too much stock into the B10/ACC Challenge to determine the strength of either conference.

That's fine, but the Big Ten isn't good and won it. The ACC is usually a large amount better.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
I can see arguments for a variety of different conferences, just Big 12 seems a stretch.

To say a variety of different conferences have a better argument than the Big 12 is simply ignorant to Big 12 basketball this season. We'll see what happens in the tournament, but the Big 12 has 2 top tier teams and a lot of depth. 3-9 are all capable of making the tournament and will beat each other up in conference season.

To say a variety of different conferences have a better argument than the Big 12 is simply ignorant to Big 12 basketball this season.

No it really isnt.

Big 12 has 2 excellent teams KU and Texas, who could potentially meet in the National Championship game.

The rest of the conference is a whole bunch of teams who have beat no one and played no one. There is a reason why the SOS rank for the conference is 6.

But go ahead and believe what you want, the only people who will say that the Big 12 is the best conference are people who go to or went to a Big 12 school. I have no horse in this race, Im not saying that the Big 10 is the hardest, but I can come up with no objective rationale where the Big 12 is the hardest.

ACC and Big East are harder than the Big 12, harder is top to bottom. Big 12 will not get the most tournament bids of any conference, they probably will get less than the Big East (doesnt really count due to size) but also less than ACC, Big 10.

Big 12 will probably get the same amount of bids as SEC.

But I guess that makes them the hardest conference??

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 05:12 PM)
No it really isnt.

Big 12 has 2 excellent teams KU and Texas, who could potentially meet in the National Championship game.

The rest of the conference is a whole bunch of teams who have beat no one and played no one. There is a reason why the SOS rank for the conference is 6.

But go ahead and believe what you want, the only people who will say that the Big 12 is the best conference are people who go to or went to a Big 12 school. I have no horse in this race, Im not saying that the Big 10 is the hardest, but I can come up with no objective rationale where the Big 12 is the hardest.

ACC and Big East are harder than the Big 12, harder is top to bottom. Big 12 will not get the most tournament bids of any conference, they probably will get less than the Big East (doesnt really count due to size) but also less than ACC, Big 10.

Big 12 will probably get the same amount of bids as SEC.

But I guess that makes them the hardest conference??

I never said Big 12 was the hardest, but to say it's 4th is flat wrong. Most recent Bracketology has 8 from the Big East, 7 from the ACC, 6 from the Big 12 and 5 from the Big Ten. It's at least in the argument for 2nd best (Big East being my clear #1). There are 8 Big 12 teams in the RPI top 50 as opposed to 4 from the Big Ten and 4 from the ACC.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 05:22 AM)
The Texas/KSU game has been a terribly played basketball game.

Yep, one of the most annoying games I've ever seen. Give credit to Kansas State crowd, as they've been the only redeeming aspect of this game. As I said the other day, this might be the worst basketball season in a long time with regards to talent level.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
I was drunk and took a slight bash against ISU a little too hard, we suck this year and I've realized that. Sorry guys and heads.

We most definitely suck this year. I'm just hoping for a miracle come Arch Madness to be honest.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 11:26 PM)
Yep, one of the most annoying games I've ever seen. Give credit to Kansas State crowd, as they've been the only redeeming aspect of this game. As I said the other day, this might be the worst basketball season in a long time with regards to talent level.

Tons of turnovers and terrible shooting. If these are two top 10 teams than this is likely going to be a tournament similar to Florida's first title where there were tons of upsets and a really surprising final 4.

I never said Big 12 was the hardest, but to say it's 4th is flat wrong. Most recent Bracketology has 8 from the Big East, 7 from the ACC, 6 from the Big 12 and 5 from the Big Ten. It's at least in the argument for 2nd best (Big East being my clear #1). There are 8 Big 12 teams in the RPI top 50 as opposed to 4 from the Big Ten and 4 from the ACC.

Who said the Big 12 was the 4th best conference?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 10:45 PM)
Who said the Big 12 was the 4th best conference?

You implied it.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 05:12 PM)
Big 12 will not get the most tournament bids of any conference, they probably will get less than the Big East (doesnt really count due to size) but also less than ACC, Big 10.

The premise of my argument was Big 12 was not the "hardest conference". I was not trying differentiating between 2, 3 or 4. Sorry if that was unclear.

Although I still think that Big 12 may get the least bids of the conferences listed above, but tournament bids is a whole different argument.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 10:26 PM)

Ugh, the last two minutes of that game took freaking 20 minutes.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 11:02 PM)
Sad because I think we have more talent then last year, or the year before it.

Last year maybe, but two years ago we were stacked. Here's to hoping we get hot in the conference tourney. :cheers I just want them to make it to saturday so that the weekend doesn't completely suck.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 09:17 AM)
Last year maybe, but two years ago we were stacked. Here's to hoping we get hot in the conference tourney. :cheers I just want them to make it to saturday so that the weekend doesn't completely suck.

we all need to hope either Jordan Egleseder breaks a leg or that people find his birth certificate and find out he is really 33 years old

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
K State is vastly overrated. Their best win is what? Dayton, Xavier, @ UNLV? Nothing top tier there. Losses to Ole Miss and at Missouri aren't great losses either. Yet K State is top 10 in the rankings, good thing rankings don't matter in basketball. Of course they host Texas tonight so this will be put to the test.

Strike that one... It was a brutal game, but K State did it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 09:22 AM)
we all need to hope either Jordan Egleseder breaks a leg or that people find his birth certificate and find out he is really 33 years old

I hate that man so much. He's 21 and bald. And damn good. Maybe the conference will tell UNI to lose in the conference tourney so we can get two teams in?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 09:50 AM)
Big game in Champaign tonight. Illinois needs the win to maintain hope of contending for the title. Purdue needs a win to stop a 3 game skid. Illinois owned Purdue last year with an inferior team. Hopefully they show up ready to play 40 minutes.

Purdue opened as a 3.5-4.5 point favorite, hoping Illini can continue the dominance over them from last year. Although last years team, despite its inferior talent, actually played hard for 40 minutes, while this years team still is working on that.

A lot of games have been over break this year, but I hope the Orange Krush & the Hall actually show some life today, seems like they have been pretty quiet all year, best crowd was vs. Gonzaga at the UC. I think they need at least a split this week to keep them in the hunt for a tourney bid right now, although it is still early. I'll be in Evanston at the game on Saturday night, its always a good time, very orange crowd.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 10:17 AM)
I hate that man so much. He's 21 and bald. And damn good. Maybe the conference will tell UNI to lose in the conference tourney so we can get two teams in?

he is a beast, they just throw it down to him and he does pretty much whatever he wants. When a man that big can post you up and hit the 10-15 footer, you have some problems, especially with some of the 3 point shooters on that team