Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 07:04 PM)
NW needs to stay away from that horrible trap zone if they want to stand a chance.

They're screwed no matter what D they play in this game. They sure as hell aren't quick enough to play them man-to-man, we've seen what happened with the matchup zone, and I doubt the 1-3-1 will fair much better.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 07:06 PM)
They're screwed no matter what D they play in this game. They sure as hell aren't quick enough to play them man-to-man, we've seen what happened with the matchup zone, and I doubt the 1-3-1 will fair much better.

If a team doesnt have anyone to stop Turner or at least slow him down, they are hard to beat. If you let Buford get warmed up, its over.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 07:34 PM)
Zoom, was Shurna highly recruited? I could see how teams could overlook him because he's a bit unorthodox, but he's a hell of a player. Someone needs to buy him some proactiv though.

He was a 3-star out of Glenbard West, I don't really remember what his other offers were (probably a lot of mid-majors and lower-tier power conference schools). He was listed at like 190 when he signed, so I would imagine most schools saw him as a 'tweener.

Crawford looks like a similar steal out of Naperville Central, though not so much in this game. I'm not sure why he wasn't more highly regarded, but he's our best athlete and can hit the 3. If he learns to find his shots he's going to be a damn good player.

Unfortunately those are probably our only two guys athletic/skilled enough to make a difference against an athletic team like OSU or MSU. Everyone else needed to shoot really well from deep, which obviously hasn't happened.

Ah, thats right, I forgot he was a hilltopper. He's one of those guys where you dont know how he does it, but he produces.

Turner just solidified himself as at least the 2nd best Buckeye in my lifetime with 1,000 points, 500 boards and 300 dimes. Amazing.

Titus almost got himself a steal, but instead decided he didnt want on the score sheet.

Saw Shurna and Crawford in high school. Northwestern was the biggest school after Shurna. Other mids were after him.

When someone told me Crawford was going to NW, I was shocked. Nothing against NW but Wake Forest, and a couple other ACC teams were after him. Guess he wanted to stay close to home.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 04:58 AM)
f*** this Illinois team. Can't hit free throws, can't box out, can't keep a lead. They don't deserve to win

It's a one man team right now. McCamey is really having a great junior season. Davis looks to have found a little confidence in his game, at least. When you're down 8 against a tournament team and have Jordan, Griffey, and Cole on the court...you know recruiting misses over the last few years are killing you.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 11:00 PM)
It's a one man team right now. McCamey is really having a great junior season. Davis looks to have found a little confidence in his game, at least. When you're down 8 against a tournament team and have Jordan, Griffey, and Cole on the court...you know recruiting misses over the last few years are killing you.

FT shooting killed Illinois today. I was happy to see Davis finally play well, we need him if we are going to have a chance to make the tourney. Next two are must wins and if they win those they will be 8-2 in Big 10 play going into the final 8 (I'm just going to assume wins at home against IU and on the road against Iowa). Griffey has actually played well the last two games and will be a really good player. But I agree the 2006 and 2008 recruiting classes are killing this team. That and Bertrand's injury and Legion sucking leads to way too many minutes for Jordan and Cole. But at least Cole did a great job on Hummel tonight. I f'ing hate Jordan. I know we don't have depth but i still would cut his minutes. He doesn't handle the ball that well, he can't shoot, and he is an average defender at best.

I really don't get the way refs have officiated Tisdale the last two games. MSU and Purdue's strategy has been to do nothing but push and shove him and none of it is called yet he gets called for all and any contact. I'm not saying he isn't fouling but he should be drawing way more fouls as well. But the bad thing is he is becoming Randlesque at disappearing once he gets in foul trouble. He needs to learn to play through it. Also, Purdue commits fouls on literally every possession of every game they play (and it is even more obvious in person). What a complete bulls*** style of defense. They definitely subscribe to the theory that if you foul on every possession refs won't call a lot of it so you get the advantage. And there may not be a more overrated defender in Big 10 history than Kramer. If it wasn't for the holding and grabbing he would get torched consistently. And the short ref tonight should lose his job. That guy was clueless.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 09:36 PM)
What happened to Purdue? They have no confidence in their game at all. Just a few weeks ago, they looked amazing against WVU. Seems like some really bad recruiting for Purdue since the outstanding junior class.

Purdue is done once those JRs leave. And Painter flat out quit on the 2012 class from Indiana which is loaded. Their recruiting is going really poorly.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 10:06 PM)
Illinois just came out flat in the second half. Seems like McCamey just dribbles around in circles until the lane opens up briefly, then gets swatted on the way up.

yeah, McCamey's the problem.....28pts (7/14) with 9 assts and 2 steals to 3 turnovers. It's true that his FTs were bad, but McCamey is giving them a chance to win games. He could lead the Big Ten in assists this season while playing on a pretty bad team.

Illinois has myriad problems...but defense is clearly the biggest one.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 11:49 PM)
yeah, McCamey's the problem.....28pts (7/14) with 9 assts and 2 steals to 3 turnovers. It's true that his FTs were bad, but McCamey is giving them a chance to win games. He could lead the Big Ten in assists this season while playing on a pretty bad team.

Illinois has myriad problems...but defense is clearly the biggest one.

Yeah, the one thing that bothers me about this team is the lack of focus/intensity for the whole game as well as the bad defense, which is unexpected from a Weber-led team. The lack of a big post presence hurts, but last years team wasnt much bigger and was way less talented, and they won more games and were a good defensive team.

When Tisdale cant stay on the floor, McCamey and Davis are your only real scorers, and Davis hadnt shown up in about 4 games. You'd rather not watch McCamey just dribble around the whole time, but what other choice does he have? Pass it to JJ or Cole? The freshmen DJ and BP3 are showing skills offensively and are able to create their own shots, but they still make too many bad decisions and take basdly contested shots. Keller has just disappeared since his offensive barrage vs. Gonzaga.

This team is the pure definition of a bubble team, possibly sneak in the tourney and win a game or two, or just NIT it up. With the potential shown and the future recruits (Richmond) the future is looking up, as long as Weber can reach these guys about playing defense and showing up for all 40 minutes.

It was probably because I only saw the second half when things just were not going well. And agreed about Purdue, they get away with a lot of pushing and grabbing, but I guess more credit to them if they can get away with it. Honestly can't stand Kramer, and he truely is overrated on D. He is a huge liability on offense too. Purdue goes as Johnson goes, and the statement about Painters recruiting is dead on. Indiana in 2012 has the potential to have 5-6 top 20 players, and I don't think Purdue even has any scholarships left to give out. I read that two of the guys committed had yet to even play HS ball. He has all of his eggs in one basket on Branden Dawson for 2011, who is a 5 star getting big time looks from all over now. If he chooses elsewhere, that'll hurt their program big time. If Moore, Johnson, and Hummel all stay for next year, they have enormous potential if they can have a young big man step up.

Also, where the hell does John Hart come from and pull Purdue through? Maybe Painter should give all of Byrd, Smith, and Wohlfords minutes to him because those three flat out suck.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 10:36 PM)
Staiger quits the Cyclones. Down to 7 scholarship players for Texas Tech tomorrow night: C Hamilton, F Brackins, F Gilstrap, F Dendy, G Garrett, G Christopherson, G Buckley.

Don't worry, I'm sure Brackins and Gilsrap will go off for 30 and 15 each.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 11:37 PM)
Heads, how much longer can McDermott last in Ames? Staiger left the team today to play overseas.

Who knows. Of those 7 scholarship players, only Hamilton, Dendy, Christopherson and Garrett are decent bets to be back next year.