Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 07:59 PM)
I'm just making sure they know that their 1% chance of losing to us is a little off. Really don't care if I get flamed. Talking trash is what make sports fun so if they can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen.

Maybe we'll find out in the NIT.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)
The Illini have no excuse for losing those games. Pretty much the same as ISU has no real excuse for losing to teams like Niagra.

Yes, and if U of I beat Niagara then I'd expect that same thing from you. If I don't have the right to bring up that stat after being told my school has no hope of beating U of I then something is wrong.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 08:06 PM)
Yes, and if U of I beat Niagara then I'd expect that same thing from you. If I don't have the right to bring up that stat after being told my school has no hope of beating U of I then something is wrong.

Nobody said ISU has no hope in beating U of I, you have just over-exagerated the issue the entire time and have been annoying as hell doing so, even more so than Jimbo. Fact of the matter is the Illini are clearly the superior team, obviously in a given game anything can happen but if they went headsup vs ISU more likely than not U of I wins. End of issue.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 08:10 PM)
Nobody said ISU has no hope in beating U of I, you have just over-exagerated the issue the entire time and have been annoying as hell doing so, even more so than Jimbo. Fact of the matter is the Illini are clearly the superior team, obviously in a given game anything can happen but if they went headsup vs ISU more likely than not U of I wins. End of issue.

Jordan4life specifically said 1%, and a couple others agreed. I'm not looking back to get names, but it happened. The real fact of the matter is U of I has done nothing to show me they are "clearly the superior team." I've said over and over again that U of I would be the favorite but for some reason everyone here thinks I have ISU blinders on and think they would win 85% of the time.

After being told U of I is clearly the superior team from people like you, its nice when something happens that makes U of I look less superior. So I am going to post it.

Edited by kev211

If we are gonna make retarded arguments based upon single games and matchups then where are ISU's wins the caliber of Clemson and Vanderbilt? Oh right I forgot, they don't exist.

I could give a s*** about the stupid comparison but c'mon.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 08:40 PM)
If we are gonna make retarded arguments based upon single games and matchups then where are ISU's wins the caliber of Clemson and Vanderbilt? Oh right I forgot, they don't exist.

That's true enough I guess, but Illinois is quite likely to go 1-8 down the stretch in the Big Ten...by the end of the year I don't think anyone will feel like Illinois is a favorite to win any given game.

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 10:10 PM)
That's true enough I guess, but Illinois is quite likely to go 1-8 down the stretch in the Big Ten...by the end of the year I don't think anyone will feel like Illinois is a favorite to win any given game.

Im assuming you have them beating Iowa next so you really think it is likely that Illinois will lose 8 in a row?

Ya, guys sorry I said U of I would be the favorite vs ISU multiple times. This entire thread I have been saying over and over and over again that ISU would not be the favorite, that U of I would be the favorite and win 75% of the time. I'm really sorry you guys can't take your U of I blinders off though. I just pointed out a true statistic that we beat Utah at their place with ease, and beat Bradley at home with ease. Illinois could not beat either on a neutral court, let alone do it with ease. But since you guys can not stomach not being the best team in the state I am done with this thread, good luck I'm just an ISU homer who doesn't know s***.

Have fun in the National Championship Illinois it is much deserved and clearly you are hands down the best team in the nation :notworthy

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 08:40 PM)

I could give a s*** about the stupid comparison but c'mon.

Give me 1 reason why Clemson is a quality win looking at their schedule their only real win is vs UNC, who isn't really that great this year. Congrats on your Vanderbilt win though, that makes you head an shoulders above ISU. Must be nice having teams worth a s*** allowing you to schedule them.

You've lost to Bradley, Utah, Georgia. When you can give me a solid reason why your "clearly a superior team to ISU," I'll be willing to listen.

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 06:57 AM)
We really should make you kids a completely different thread for this ISU/U of I nonsense.

Why can't we just say that all the Illinois-based teams are underachieving this season besides maybe Northwestern?

Thats the word on the Wisconsin scout site as well. Although its just talking about a thread started on a Pitt board. Supposedly it was by a first time poster, but then backed up by a 5 year poster. The story was that the scholarship players had been told and then some of them started posting on twitter and other social networks. All of those posts have been allegedly been removed.

At this point Id say its nothing more than a rumor. Although Pitt has always been one of the top 5 most likely teams.

LOL, UNC is about to lose at home by around 15 to the consensus last place team in the pre-season ACC pick Virginia Cavaliers.

Reminds me of the 02-03 dark days. This team doesn't have much talent, and Roy won't play the talent in favor of the s***ty seniors marcus ginyard and deon thompson.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 09:43 PM)
LOL, UNC is about to lose at home by around 15 to the consensus last place team in the pre-season ACC pick Virginia Cavaliers.

Reminds me of the 02-03 dark days. This team doesn't have much talent, and Roy won't play the talent in favor of the s***ty seniors marcus ginyard and deon thompson.

Seven McDonald's All Americans isn't a lot of talent? Granted the Wear twins and Drew were laughable selections but still. And I haven't watched as much UNC as you obviously but Thompson is a hell of a lot better option than the Wear twins and John Henson. And he is having a great season statistically.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 11:55 PM)
Im assuming you have them beating Iowa next so you really think it is likely that Illinois will lose 8 in a row?

It's probably more likely that they go something like 2 and 7, but after Iowa I think every team they play is better than them (I think Ken Pom agrees with that). Illinois is no shoe-in to beat Iowa at Iowa either. They'll be favored there, but it's not like Illinois is really appreciably better than Indiana or even Penn State. (despite the difference in records). Anyway, the last 8 games are a brutal stretch.

In contrast, Minnesota's hard games are mostly out of the way and I think people's impressions of MN will change quite a bit by the end of the season. They should be able to rattle off a bunch of W's and I think have a great shot at making the NCAAs.

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 03:57 AM)
Seven McDonald's All Americans isn't a lot of talent? Granted the Wear twins and Drew were laughable selections but still. And I haven't watched as much UNC as you obviously but Thompson is a hell of a lot better option than the Wear twins and John Henson. And he is having a great season statistically.

Henson is looking like one of the bigger busts in a long, long time. As for Thompson, he puts up solid numbers, but those are padded by going off on bad teams. Against the better teams, he's been a lot more ineffective. He also plays no defense. One scout was quoted as saying this is the worst defensive UNC team they've ever seen.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 10:06 PM)
In contrast, Minnesota's hard games are mostly out of the and I think people's impressions of MN will change quite a bit bu the end of the season. They should be able to rattle off a bunch of W's and I think have a great shot at making the NCAAs.

Disagreed, but I'm pretty pessimistic. We've played like ass this year and will likely end the season without a signature win, save for beating Butler on a neutral court. Without Al Nolen, White or Mbakwe, we don't have much depth and frankly, don't have much talent. We haven't shown the ability to do anything on the road this year, and at this point, we have to be considered on the outside looking in.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 08:57 PM)

That's actually the exact opposite of the current UNC situation. The Wear twins and Henson are playing the best basketball on the team, along with Dexter Strickland. The freshmen are playing at a high level, and the seniors are playing some horrendous basketball. Yet Roy continues to stick with the seniors and UNC gets their ass handed to them. UNC's frontcourt outside of the Wear twins is really, really soft. Ginyard is worse than Jordan at Illinois offensively, he just can't do anything, even layups are a tremendous struggle. Ginyard's surgery last year also killed his quickness and he's now an average defender.

I'll put it this way, Ginyard is 6-28 in his last 6 games, yet he continues to get 30 minutes a game.

Henson plays some tremendous defense and provides rebounding.

There's young talent on this roster, but Roy just won't play it. He's too stubborn.

If Roy finally gives in and lets the freshmen have the minutes, UNC will finish the season as a dangerous team in the ACC tourney. But I'm not holding my breath.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 09:08 AM)
That's actually the exact opposite of the current UNC situation. The Wear twins and Henson are playing the best basketball on the team, along with Dexter Strickland. The freshmen are playing at a high level, and the seniors are playing some horrendous basketball. Yet Roy continues to stick with the seniors and UNC gets their ass handed to them. UNC's frontcourt outside of the Wear twins is really, really soft. Ginyard is worse than Jordan at Illinois offensively, he just can't do anything, even layups are a tremendous struggle. Ginyard's surgery last year also killed his quickness and he's now an average defender.

I'll put it this way, Ginyard is 6-28 in his last 6 games, yet he continues to get 30 minutes a game.

Henson plays some tremendous defense and provides rebounding.

There's young talent on this roster, but Roy just won't play it. He's too stubborn.

If Roy finally gives in and lets the freshmen have the minutes, UNC will finish the season as a dangerous team in the ACC tourney. But I'm not holding my breath.

Ginyard is bad I'll give you that. I still think Thompson is a much better player than the Wear twins or Henson at this point but I could also see UNC surpassing him if given enough minutes. Also Ginyard is a much better offensive player than Jordan. Jordan is a low major division one basketball player who has an incredibly high turnover rate despite never attacking, who can't shoot and has about the most incredible negative impact on a team I have ever seen. He is -66 in Big 10 play. The majority of the team is positive and the next worse number is Keller at -16. That is staggering.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 10:53 PM)
Disagreed, but I'm pretty pessimistic. We've played like ass this year and will likely end the season without a signature win, save for beating Butler on a neutral court. Without Al Nolen, White or Mbakwe, we don't have much depth and frankly, don't have much talent. We haven't shown the ability to do anything on the road this year, and at this point, we have to be considered on the outside looking in.

And gee, Royce White claims to be withdrawing from Minnesota this week. A great season just keeps getting better.

So it sounds like there is a good chance that the NCAA tournament will be expanding to 96 teams. Way to ruin the best postseason sports NCAA. And way to continue to prove you are arguably the biggest joke of an organization in the world. This is the dumbest idea ever. There aren't even 65 deserving teams in a single season let alone 96. I hope everyone joins me in boycotting the NCAA tournament due to the expansion if this happens.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)
So it sounds like there is a good chance that the NCAA tournament will be expanding to 96 teams. Way to ruin the best postseason sports NCAA. And way to continue to prove you are arguably the biggest joke of an organization in the world. This is the dumbest idea ever. There aren't even 65 deserving teams in a single season let alone 96. I hope everyone joins me in boycotting the NCAA tournament due to the expansion if this happens.

Totally. For all the talk every year about all of the bubble teams, how many of them actually make any noise in the tournament? I think George Mason is the only double digit seed in the last 20 years or so to make the Final Four. And now you wanna add more mediocre teams?? No thanks.