Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 06:21 PM)
2 divisions of 7, most teams dont play if they arent in the same division.

Do all Big 12 teams play each other in football?

No.

Play all in division and a rotation of 3 from the other. ISU, in the fall, plays all 5 North teams plus Oklahoma, Texas and Texas Tech. After a couple of years, those 3 are traded out for Baylor, Oklahoma State and Texas A&M.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 11:45 PM)
UNI found a way to beat WSU tonight. 3 game lead!

Ya, you guys pretty much wrapped up the league tonight so congrats on that.

Just wait until we take you guys down at Arch Madness. :lolhitting

Damn it, that's not even funny :(

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 10:49 PM)

Does SIU have any chance to be good next season?? I know Dillard only a sophomore so he should be back and I thought I remember a player from Minny or Wisconsin transferring over that was pretty good but dont know much else. Just transferred to Siu this year and dont know much about the athletics, always rooted for the Illini before.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 10:49 PM)

lol Arch Madness, gotta love the name. I haven't followed UNI as well this year since I graduated and left the area, but I was looking at their stats and they only get 10 assists per game, which seems REALLY low. I've only watched one game and they were pretty sloppy, which I understand is how they usually play this year. I don't expect them to do much in either Arch Madness or March Madness.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 11:54 PM)
Does SIU have any chance to be good next season?? I know Dillard only a sophomore so he should be back and I thought I remember a player from Minny or Wisconsin transferring over that was pretty good but dont know much else. Just transferred to Siu this year and dont know much about the athletics, always rooted for the Illini before.

Hard to say. The talent is there but we're just so terribly coached so I can't give you a perfect answer here. To make a long asnwer short, yes we have a chance to be good, very good in fact but unless a coaching change is made, I'd expect a middle of the road Valley team. Now, if Lowery is replaced by a competent successor and everyone stays, I'd expect real big things from this group. Unfortunately, Lowery's not going anywhere so that point is moot.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 11:56 PM)
lol Arch Madness, gotta love the name. I haven't followed UNI as well this year since I graduated and left the area, but I was looking at their stats and they only get 10 assists per game, which seems REALLY low. I've only watched one game and they were pretty sloppy, which I understand is how they usually play this year. I don't expect them to do much in either Arch Madness or March Madness.

Terrific defensive team. I wouldn't expect much more than a 1st round win in the NCAA's but if you get the right matchups, you never know.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 06:21 PM)
2 divisions of 7, most teams dont play if they arent in the same division.

Do all Big 12 teams play each other in football?

No, but I think missing more than 1/3 of the conference is too much. Play everyone in your division for 6 games and you only play 2 out of division games, missing 5 teams. I think 14 is just a bit too big.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 12:12 AM)
No, but I think missing more than 1/3 of the conference is too much. Play everyone in your division for 6 games and you only play 2 out of division games, missing 5 teams. I think 14 is just a bit too big.

You could easily just play 9 conference games. The Pac 10 does that every year.

Well at least Illinois has learned how to beat all the other bad teams in the Big Ten, now the real fun starts. 6 of the last 8 against the top four big dogs. I dont expect them to do much with it, but they will have every chance to earn themselves a tourney bid. Saturday would be a nice time to start with College Gameday in town for MSU, and with Lucas possibly slowed down by injury.

Northwestern has like the exact opposite schedule, 6 of their last 8 Big Ten games vs. Indiana, Iowa, & PSU. If they can win all these games that they are supposed to win, maybe they can snag that long awaited tourney bid, which would be awesome for them.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 07:25 AM)
Well at least Illinois has learned how to beat all the other bad teams in the Big Ten, now the real fun starts. 6 of the last 8 against the top four big dogs. I dont expect them to do much with it, but they will have every chance to earn themselves a tourney bid. Saturday would be a nice time to start with College Gameday in town for MSU, and with Lucas possibly slowed down by injury.

Northwestern has like the exact opposite schedule, 6 of their last 8 Big Ten games vs. Indiana, Iowa, & PSU. If they can win all these games that they are supposed to win, maybe they can snag that long awaited tourney bid, which would be awesome for them.

I really don't know what to expect in these games. So far Illinois has played a good amount of "top" teams, and have played well for 25-30 minutes, but haven't been able to finish. MSU they had the lead at half, but got knocked out pretty early in the 2nd. Against Purdue it was the same story (though they should have won that game). It's not a matter of talent, it's a matter of desire. Here's to hoping the coaches can get it in their heads that this stretch is their season, and if they win 3-4 of those games, they can get where they want to go.

My prediction for the remainder of the year:

MSU - win (momentum win)

@WIS - loss (no chance)

OSU - win (desperate, must have win)

@PUR - loss (Weber owns Painter, but this'll be a tough game)

@MU - loss (or win - this seems like a good trap game that they won't take seriously since Michigan has a bad record)

MINN - win (or loss - seems like another trap game...they'll win one of these games and lose the other)

@OSU - loss (no chance)

WIS - win (another desperate, must have win)

I think that gets them in the tourney, even with a loss in the first round of the BTT.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 09:53 AM)
I really don't know what to expect in these games. So far Illinois has played a good amount of "top" teams, and have played well for 25-30 minutes, but haven't been able to finish. MSU they had the lead at half, but got knocked out pretty early in the 2nd. Against Purdue it was the same story (though they should have won that game). It's not a matter of talent, it's a matter of desire. Here's to hoping the coaches can get it in their heads that this stretch is their season, and if they win 3-4 of those games, they can get where they want to go.

My prediction for the remainder of the year:

MSU - win (momentum win)

@WIS - loss (no chance)

OSU - win (desperate, must have win)

@PUR - loss (Weber owns Painter, but this'll be a tough game)

@MU - loss (or win - this seems like a good trap game that they won't take seriously since Michigan has a bad record)

MINN - win (or loss - seems like another trap game...they'll win one of these games and lose the other)

@OSU - loss (no chance)

WIS - win (another desperate, must have win)

I think that gets them in the tourney, even with a loss in the first round of the BTT.

Hmmm, in the Weber vs Painter era, here are the results of each matchup, not including Purdue recently beating the Illini.

Date Site Winner Score

1/28/06 Champaign Illinois 76-58

1/27/07 West Lafayette Purdue 64-47

1/19/08 West Lafayette Purdue 74-67

2/2/08 Champaign Purdue 83-75

3/14/08 Indianapolis Illinois 74-67 (OT)

12/30/08 West Lafayette Illinois 71-67 (OT)

Purdue has the lead 4-3.

So, how again is that owning?

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 11:22 AM)
Hmmm, in the Weber vs Painter era, here are the results of each matchup, not including Purdue recently beating the Illini.

Date Site Winner Score

1/28/06 Champaign Illinois 76-58

1/27/07 West Lafayette Purdue 64-47

1/19/08 West Lafayette Purdue 74-67

2/2/08 Champaign Purdue 83-75

3/14/08 Indianapolis Illinois 74-67 (OT)

12/30/08 West Lafayette Illinois 71-67 (OT)

Purdue has the lead 4-3.

So, how again is that owning?

Hmm. I guess I'll take that back. I figured it was more like 5-3 Illinois, with Illinois winning games it shouldn't (like both wins last year).

Thinking about it some more I'm starting to warm up to the idea of 96 teams if it's done properly.

The top 32 teams would get a "bye". Programs like mine at Texas Tech would have a much better chance of being in the tournament every year. However, I hope they call this first set of games something different from the tourney, maybe the Play In or something similar. This Play In could take place on Tuesday between selection Sunday and the first set of games on Thursday. That way you could still keep the current statistics on teams making the actual Tourney and new skew them.

The teams from the power conferences that are just on the border of the tournament would end up with the seeds 9-16 most likely, and the "lesser" teams from small conferences would likely be stuck with the 16-24 seeds.

What you would likely see is more middle of the pack power conference teams matching up with the "bye" top 32 teams. In this fashion you would likely starting seeing some #16 vs. #1 seed upsets in the future. You would have teams like Oklahoma State, Virginia etc vs. UNC, UK etc instead of Morehead State vs. UNC to begin the tourney.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 01:38 PM)
Thinking about it some more I'm starting to warm up to the idea of 96 teams if it's done properly.

The top 32 teams would get a "bye". Programs like mine at Texas Tech would have a much better chance of being in the tournament every year. However, I hope they call this first set of games something different from the tourney, maybe the Play In or something similar. This Play In could take place on Tuesday between selection Sunday and the first set of games on Thursday. That way you could still keep the current statistics on teams making the actual Tourney and new skew them.

The teams from the power conferences that are just on the border of the tournament would end up with the seeds 9-16 most likely, and the "lesser" teams from small conferences would likely be stuck with the 16-24 seeds.

What you would likely see is more middle of the pack power conference teams matching up with the "bye" top 32 teams. In this fashion you would likely starting seeing some #16 vs. #1 seed upsets in the future. You would have teams like Oklahoma State, Virginia etc vs. UNC, UK etc instead of Morehead State vs. UNC to begin the tourney.

But that's the problem. The tournament is awesome because of the potential cinderella story. In that scenario you basically have an average major conference team that's beating a top major conference team. That happens every week. It's more rare to have a George Mason beat not just one, but three or four top major conference teams. Not to mention an expanded tournament would completely ruin the importance of the regular season.

If their so big on expansion then they should have a mini-tournament (say 8 teams) that would play for something like a 12-13 seed. That way you end the whole bubble talk and you're not diluting the overall field.