Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 10:15 AM)
I despise the Hoosiers, but I think the fan base needs to be a little patient with Crean. I'd give him at least 5 years to make them a good program again. Any hint of talent left that team after the Sampson debacle, so he's relying on low rated players and walk-ons to compete. He needs to get recruits in, and those recruits need to play for 2-3 years before there's any reasonable expectation that they'll become a decent team. I guess if he's still one of the bottom 3 in the league, then you might question the hire, but really so long as he's in the 8-5 range I think you have to be ok with it for another season or two.

Oh I completely agree and still firmly believe Crean is the right man for the job. Some fans just think IU should be among the elite no matter how bad Sampson depleted the program. Its definitely been tough, but I believe next year is when we'll see some strides being made with Creek and Watford ready to make some noise. The bad part is that the big ten could possibly be even tougher next year.

Also some are saying that Hummel may not still be 100% until midseason or later next year and are questioning whether to redshirt him next year. I can't see that happening as I think he'll be ready, but I guess it could be 9-10 months depending on the severity of the tear. Could be a Carl Landry type situation when you come back and something just isnt right and you decide to sit out the rest of the year. Who knows what will happen. Really could suck not only for Hummel and Purdue, but for their scholarship situation as well.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard zero buzz about Purdue bball recruiting basically since the johnson/moore/hummel class. Their window of opportunity is this year and next. If I'm Hummel, I'm planning to come back next year, even if it's a half season.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 10:33 AM)
I have heard zero buzz about Purdue bball recruiting basically since the johnson/moore/hummel class. Their window of opportunity is this year and next. If I'm Hummel, I'm planning to come back next year, even if it's a half season.

They have a couple decent guards coming in Johnson from Indy etc, but no real studs. They are the supposed leader for Brandon Dawson out of Gary, Ind along with UCLA ( been hearing some Duke interest from Dawson lately though). They are really putting all of their eggs in the Dawson basket for next year as he is a top 10 guy at worst, and their other recruits fit nicely with him as the center piece. If they miss on him the next guy they are all over is also from Gary a stud sophmore Morero.

Painter is going to try to survive and flourish by getting the "region" kids from N.W. IND. to stay at home. If he can succeed they will be very strong year in and year out. Moore, Hummel, and Martin (even though he transfered) were the key to that stellar recruiting class and the template for future success if he can recruit "da Region" well.

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 01:41 PM)
They have a couple decent guards coming in Johnson from Indy etc, but no real studs. They are the supposed leader for Brandon Dawson out of Gary, Ind along with UCLA ( been hearing some Duke interest from Dawson lately though). They are really putting all of their eggs in the Dawson basket for next year as he is a top 10 guy at worst, and their other recruits fit nicely with him as the center piece. If they miss on him the next guy they are all over is also from Gary a stud sophmore Morero.

Painter is going to try to survive and flourish by getting the "region" kids from N.W. IND. to stay at home. If he can succeed they will be very strong year in and year out. Moore, Hummel, and Martin (even though he transfered) were the key to that stellar recruiting class and the template for future success if he can recruit "da Region" well.

They are recruiting a couple of guys from this area pretty hard, who can really help them over the next couple of years. I know Mitch McGary (a Jr) is one, and I have seen him play in person quite a few times. He is going to be really good at the college level. Glen Robinson's kid is a sophomore and already averaging about 17 a game.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 01:52 PM)
They are recruiting a couple of guys from this area pretty hard, who can really help them over the next couple of years. I know Mitch McGary (a Jr) is one, and I have seen him play in person quite a few times. He is going to be really good at the college level. Glen Robinson's kid is a sophomore and already averaging about 17 a game.

Yep, Dawson is the key "get" to make his recruiting class good to possibly stellar if the likes of McGary follow. Have not seen McGary in person yet). The two Johnson's they already have coming in are solid guards. I havent't seen the kid from Whitney Young in person (Anthony Johnson), but I have caught Terone Johnson from Indianapolis when "we" (East Chicago) beat them. They are solid guys if they can get a stud like Dawson they are perfect guards to florish in West Lafayette.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 02:15 PM)
Yep, Dawson is the key "get" to make his recruiting class good to possibly stellar if the likes of McGary follow. Have not seen McGary in person yet). The two Johnson's they already have coming in are solid guards. I havent't seen the kid from Whitney Young in person (Anthony Johnson), but I have caught Terone Johnson from Indianapolis when "we" (East Chicago) beat them. They are solid guys if they can get a stud like Dawson they are perfect guards to florish in West Lafayette.

All these guards are great but they need to recruit more front court players. They got beat this season because they were beat down low, Johnson can't do everything himself.

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 02:15 PM)

I broadcast HS basketball for Michigan City HS in the Duneland. McGary is a very complete big man. To me, despite the injuries this year, he is the DAC player of the year.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 11:34 AM)
That would be so dreamy, but no.

Larry Drew is transferring though.

I don't know that many UNC fans would care of Drew stayed or left at this point.

As for Roy on the hotseat, he just had the best 5 year run that any coach has ever had without the help of Sam Gilbert.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
I hate this Illinois team with all my heart.

wow, that was a pretty bad half. We only had 17 I think the first half against UNI last night. Hopefully ISU doesn't have the same half UI just did.