Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 02:42 PM)
I said this game is a joke because the refs have completely sucked.

If you cant see that, then I dont know what else to say.

And its not commenting about a foul or 2, thats fine, there are going to be questionable calls.

But you said that this game hasnt been called in favor of Illinois, and thats just not true. Not that i dont expect that theyll get calls, but dont act like some how Wisconsin has been given a break here.

How many times do I have to say that was posted halfway through the first half

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Illinois can still get in if they win Thursday (although if they only win 1 in Indy, it'd be very close a la 2007.) But considering it's a team that really has no heart, no intelligence, and questionable coaching, combined with being in a free fall, why would anybody assume they can do that? Finish the regular season with 3 straight home losses, 4 home losses out of 6 games, and 5 losses out of 6 overall. An impressive collapse when a tourney bid once seemed a pretty safe bet.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I can't believe the Illini got screwed by the refs AGAIN

Good to see that 3 of the top 6 finalists for the Cousy award are from the Chicago area and were unsuccessfully recruited by Bruce Weber. If Weber can't turn it around next year, hopefully Billy Gillespie will want to come back to Champaign after he takes ISU to the sweet 16 next year.

Oh, and Steve Lavin is a tough listen, ugh.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 03:09 PM)
Illinois can still get in if they win Thursday (although if they only win 1 in Indy, it'd be very close a la 2007.) But considering it's a team that really has no heart, no intelligence, and questionable coaching, combined with being in a free fall, why would anybody assume they can do that? Finish the regular season with 3 straight home losses, 4 home losses out of 6 games, and 5 losses out of 6 overall. An impressive collapse when a tourney bid once seemed a pretty safe bet.

Not that is really matters but won't they be playing their first game on Friday?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
No you're right, my bad. I think they play Wisconsin again.

Yeah Wisconsin again on Friday, awesome... :lolhitting

It would be better to be lower than the 5th seed just to add a win against a subpar team on Thursday

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 04:25 PM)
Yeah Wisconsin again on Friday, awesome... :lolhitting

It would be better to be lower than the 5th seed just to add a win against a subpar team on Thursday

Well if Illinois were the #6 seed instead of the #5, they'd play Penn State. Penn State has shown itself to be dangerous lately, so that wouldn't even be a sure thing.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 03:28 PM)
Well if Illinois were the #6 seed instead of the #5, they'd play Penn State. Penn State has shown itself to be dangerous lately, so that wouldn't even be a sure thing.

I suppose. I just don't even really know what to say at this point, such an outrageously disappointing finish to the season.

This has to be one of the mentally softest/weakest teams in America.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
No you're right, my bad. I think they play Wisconsin again.

I think if Michigan can somehow pull off the upset in East Lansing, then we would play MSU. But the Wolverines are already 0-3 from behind the arc so its probably not their day.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 04:30 PM)
I suppose. I just don't even really know what to say at this point, such an outrageously disappointing finish to the season.

Well, their two starting big men are absoultely soft, couple of wimps. Then you have McCamey, who is a mental midget (he had quite the meltdown down the stretch today), and additionally you have a somewhat inconsistent freshman in Richardson and a wildly inconsistent one in Paul. It's just a weird team.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)

Mike Davis is easily the mentally softest player in America.

DMac is the rare player who played Illinois into being in great position to make the dance and then almost single handedly blow it (not that he didn't have help). His play the last week has been embarrassing. 4-18 against Minny with the terrible turnover late where if they go ahead they very likely win the game. Deciding to not even attempt to guard Diebler on Tuesday leading to his barrage of wide open 3s when Illinois was playing well and had a chance to pull ahead in the 1st half. And then again today getting abused on defense, having a terrible turnover at a key time, and shooting the ball horribly. Also, Mike Davis still sucks and Richardson has completely disappeared. Cole has actually been playing well lately and Tisdale had a good game today, but just terrible play this last week.

As for the comment that Weber has gotten less out of this team than any coach in America has gotten out of theirs that is just downright laughable. Roy Williams and Paul Hewitt have way more talent and have actually done less than Weber. Rick Barnes has taken a team that has as much talent as really anyone in America out of the Top 25 rankings and a 9-7 record in the Big 12. Billy Donovan has a talented team squarely on the bubble. Jim Calhoun at UConn has been horrible this year and I probably can name a few others if I tried hard enough.

Also, Mike Davis still sucks. I thought the reffing was fair and sitting on the court pretty much every foul was legit. Wisconsin hacks a lot, just like Purdue (Illinois has been guilty of this in the past as well) so when they get refs that call it tight they are going to get called for a lot of fouls. With that said, I hate Jim Burr with a passion and he needs to go ahead and just die already. He is absolutely clueless out there and is on a ridiculous power trip every time he is on the court.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 04:34 PM)
Well, their two starting big men are absoultely soft, couple of wimps. Then you have McCamey, who is a mental midget (he had quite the meltdown down the stretch today), and additionally you have a somewhat inconsistent freshman in Richardson and a wildly inconsistent one in Paul. It's just a weird team.

Tisdale is weak but he isn't really soft. He battles in the post, doesn't shy away from contact and isn't scared to take big shots (maybe the best clutch player on the team). Unfortunately he just isn't strong enough to always hold position and he is also playing too many minutes because the bench has been terrible and he wears down over the course of games.

Davis on the other hand plays like a p**** far too often.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 03:09 PM)

They have to win the B10 tourney to get in, they will be in the NIT.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 12:28 PM)
No way, if they win 2 games the Illini are in without a doubt.

For sure. Wins over Wisconsin & Ohio State would make it six top 25 wins and gets them a bid easily. However, they suck and aren't gonna beat OSU so thats a moot point. One win over Wiscosnin makes it a toss-up I think.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 12:28 PM)
No way, if they win 2 games the Illini are in without a doubt.

I guess 2 wins would do it, not sure 1 win over Wisconsin gets them in, they have a 74 RPI and have been falling fast.

Of course they need to beat the team that just flat out beat them a few days prior.

Edited by RockRaines

I give them a 5% chance to win against WIS. Even if they do though, I dunno that I want them in the tourney. At best they're a 10-12 seed, which just means they'll get trounced in the first round.

Who knows, maybe this'll become a Hoosiers moment and with elimination truly on the line, they'll put together a couple of nice wins and make something of this roller coaster season.

This line of thinking/belief is why I hate being a sports fan. Totally delusionsal, but I can't help myself.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 06:55 PM)
If Illinois beats Wisky and OSU they are 100% in. If they beat Wisky they are very likely in the tourney. If they lose, sadly the bubble is so bad they would still have a slim shot although they sure as hell wouldn't deserve it.

If they lose to Wisconsin, they're out. Their RPI is awful, and with 13/14 losses and losing 5 of their last 6, they'd have no shot.