Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

I just dont get it. I was half paying attention with the game on in the background, and I heard the BU announcer say the Salukis were within 2, and I was like "WTF?? They were just down by 7!"

Fay hits the FT, game tied. Bradley just went away from what was working, they stopped getting it to the open guy and everyone started jacking shots without moving the ball.

Very encouraging start for this team. I would like to see them put together two halves of solid basketball, but right now the second half seems to be enough

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 1, 2010 -> 09:23 PM)
I just dont get it. I was half paying attention with the game on in the background, and I heard the BU announcer say the Salukis were within 2, and I was like "WTF?? They were just down by 7!"

Fay hits the FT, game tied. Bradley just went away from what was working, they stopped getting it to the open guy and everyone started jacking shots without moving the ball.

Very encouraging start for this team. I would like to see them put together two halves of solid basketball, but right now the second half seems to be enough

We upped the pressure. The full court trap was awesome in the last few minutes.

I watched on channelsurfing.net and the Bradley announcers were so biased and upset at the end.

Oh, geez, golly. Saw Illinois State lost to Missouri State. Guess we won't see the Redbird fans for a few hours.

Valley is gonna beat up on each other all year between SIU, ISU, Missouri State, Northern Iowa, and Witchita State.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 1, 2010 -> 09:31 PM)
Should the Bradley announcers not be biased?

It was kind of over the top biased. I understand rooting for your team, but they were seeing things that werent happening. I dont know, Mike Reis calls a pretty fair game for SIU. His form of rooting comes in the inflection in his voice, he gets excited when SIU is doing well, and sounds down when they arent, but he still calls the game very honestly. We are used to that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 1, 2010 -> 05:24 PM)
open containers of alcohol, bags of pot, and 2 guns with altered serial numbers. Not good, not good at all. One would think that if you were going to drive around with your car loaded like that, you would try not to speed.

So, I've decided that the safest way to live in this city is to avoid the sports teams as much as humanly possible.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 1, 2010 -> 09:41 PM)
So, I've decided that the safest way to live in this city is to avoid the sports teams as much as humanly possible.

I dont know Balta, it seems like Tennessee players want to find YOU. All of those football players were busted robbing some kids, werent they?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 1, 2010 -> 10:55 PM)
I dont know Balta, it seems like Tennessee players want to find YOU. All of those football players were busted robbing some kids, werent they?

IIRC they hit a convenience store of some sort.

Edit: gas station. One of the ones down the street from the fcampus.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 1, 2010 -> 09:58 PM)
IIRC they hit a convenience store of some sort.

Edit: gas station. One of the ones down the street from the fcampus.

Yeah, they robbed some kids sitting in a car at the gas station. So make sure if anyone approaches your car you lock your doors and slam on the gas. Even if its an old person. Trust no one

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 1, 2010 -> 09:32 PM)
Oh, geez, golly. Saw Illinois State lost to Missouri State. Guess we won't see the Redbird fans for a few hours.

Valley is gonna beat up on each other all year between SIU, ISU, Missouri State, Northern Iowa, and Witchita State.

No I'm not going to get upset over a loss at MSU, if we lose to them at redbird then I'll be angry.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 1, 2010 -> 10:39 PM)
Royce White was at the most recent Gopher practice, so it sounds like he's not completely done yet (surprise surprise).

Did he release another youtube vid?

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 1, 2010 -> 10:05 PM)
Booker looks like he is wearing cement boots on defense sometimes.

He's not very quick side to side and Lowery isn't putting him in a position to succeed on defense. He shouldn't be chasing guards around the perimeter. The trap needs to go, it was fantastic when we had the guys to run it but it's absolutely brutal now because our team as a whole is just slow as hell rotating. We clearly need to make adjustments defensively and that's the starting point, having a 6'8" guy with long arms and a 35 inch vertical around the basket should help erase some of the easier baskets that teams have been getting by blowing by our guards up top

To be perfectly honest though, it's time for us to start playing some zone. I know it goes against everything our program has stood for but this isn't the same team. Our perimeter defense is just absolutely pitiful, we get blown by up top almost every possession, it's brutal to watch. Switching to a zone should definitely help that.

Lowery's trademark has obviously been defense but this is an offensive team now. He needs to swallow his pride and make these adjustments. If we can stop the dribble penetration just a little bit, we're going to be very tough to beat.

I believe SIU is very close to realizing their potential both defensively and offensively, when they go on their runs they are pushed by defensive turnovers(the trap steal on Maniscalco last night in the closing 2 minutes was huge). The fact that there truly is no quit in them is tremendous. Hopefully Crowder can come back soon and make the bench that much deeper and give Dillard and Freeman a few more rest minutes

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 2, 2010 -> 09:47 AM)
I believe SIU is very close to realizing their potential both defensively and offensively, when they go on their runs they are pushed by defensive turnovers(the trap steal on Maniscalco last night in the closing 2 minutes was huge). The fact that there truly is no quit in them is tremendous. Hopefully Crowder can come back soon and make the bench that much deeper and give Dillard and Freeman a few more rest minutes

The trap worked twice yesterday to my recollection, causing two turnovers. A ton of other times it led to layups, it doesn't work well with this group. Sure you can throw it out there every now and than, but we shouldn't be using it all game.

What got us back into the game was actually the diamond press at the end, that's what caused all the turnovers.

Playing a 2-3 zone for parts of a game makes a ton of sense for this team. Will help keep the dribble drive under control and allow Anthony and Nick to stay around the hoop more instead of chasing guards around the perimeter which all our bigs struggle to do.

I really don't expect any of this to happen though, I'm sure we'll keep struggling defensively with what we've been doing.

QUOTE (SockMe @ Jan 2, 2010 -> 09:52 AM)
about to leave for the Illini game at the UC! Should be a great game. There are only standing room tickets available so it should be packed with ORANGE

wow that's suprising. I've been to 2 of those UC games and the 300 level was usually like 25% full. (decent years too 06 and 07)

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 2, 2010 -> 01:25 PM)
In the last 15 minutes of game time, Gonzaga has made more dumb passes than any team I've seen all season. Illinois should be able to win this game comfortably with the momentum they have.

Still 15 minutes left. Hope they didn't blow their wad.

Jordan has actually been worth a damn this game.

This is amazing, as Gonzaga looked like the best team in the country the first 10 minutes. In the last 17 minutes, they're literally having trouble dribbling and passing the ball. I think they have 16 turnovers in last 16 minutes.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 2, 2010 -> 01:36 PM)
Can someone explain to me how Brandon Paul's follow dunk counted, even though there was a loose ball foul on the rebound? These refs have made some horrible calls today.

I didn't see it, but if the foul was committed on the rebound attempt, it should count. Unless you mean the guy committed a foul on a put-back dunk, then they screwed up.