Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 11:43 AM)
A win in a must-win situation is a good win. Dunno how you can disagree with that.

a good win in that situation last night would have been a game that wasn't within two possessions in the final two minutes. They did nothing to make me think any better of them yesterday. Still a sloppy, dumb, two man team that is going nowhere this year.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SnB @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)
a good win in that situation last night would have been a game that wasn't within two possessions in the final two minutes. They did nothing to make me think any better of them yesterday. Still a sloppy, dumb, two man team that is going nowhere this year.

So, a 10 pt win over a team that they've won/lost by a point the last like 5 times they've played isn't progress?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 09:26 AM)
Nice win for Illinois. Thought they were going to lose yet another game they were leading, but they weathered the storm and controlled the last 10 minutes. I think the biggest problem with this team is Jordan. He's awful. He's less of a threat on the offensive end than Frazier, and that's really saying something. Teams practically ignore him, so it's really 4 on 5 and the offense just stops. Cole is a threat, Keller is a threat. I dunno why Jordan gets any minutes at all. I understand that you gotta give Richardson/McCamey/Paul a breather, but those three should be the guard rotation, and Tisdale/Griffey/Cole/Davis/Keller should be the front court rotation.

I agree, the kid only shoots if he's wide, wide, wide open. If he could somehow drive to the basket or hit an occasional slightly contested shot, which I dont know if hes capable of, then maybe the defenses would show him a little more respect. Turns out the injury to Bertrand hurts more than anyone realized. It would be nice to have an extra guard in the rotation, cause as awesome as Bubba is, he still shouldnt see the floor.

(1) These guys have the talent and the tools to be really good. You can tell that. They look like robots sometimes, that just do what the coaches have tought them. This was evident when penn state made their run and got up by a couple baskets. Illinois ran set plays, got the ball to Tisdale, who made a 6-8 foot hook shot. They need to have more of an edge though, which has been lacking all year. They need a killer drive. They become content with a 10 point lead. They need to get up by 20 before they do that.

So often they look just like the offense last year. The difference is we have way more players who can create their own shot this year, as opposed to Meachem & Frazier, but it still hasnt changed much.

(2) The expectations for this team were unreasonable. This team relies on two freshman and three juniors, with another freshman coming off the bench. As talented as Paul, Richardson and Griffey are, they're not the John Wall type recruits that can lead teams. They need to mature and continue to learn the game. Next year should be a good year, but even then expectations can't get out of whack.

Unreasonable expectations are pretty standard from the Illini fanbase, but I think the overachievement of last years team led to that. Especially with Richardson/Paul replacing Frazier/Meachem. With all these players getting one more year of experience and a few top 100 freshmen, especially Richmond, next year should be good, will see what Weber can do with all the talent. If this years team wins the next two vs. Indiana & Iowa, then somehow goes at least 2-2 vs. the top four after that, maybe they have a chance for the tourney, but I'm definitely not holding my breath for it.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 09:32 AM)
Reports on South Carolina boards are that DeMarcus Cousins punched a fan on the way off the court last night. Calimari will figure out a way to sweep this one under the rug I'm sure.

And reports are true on this one, but I wouldn't expect much to come from it...Cousins is a timebomb waiting to go off at the wrong time, but he is an absolute beast on the court.

And, oh yeah, how about my boys!! Downey is going to sorely be missed next year, but damn if it isn't fun watching him this year.

All the talk about Pac-10 only getting one bid is well deserved, some of the results in the conference are f***ed.

Washington beat Seattle (1st season in Division 1) by 47. Seattle won at Oregon State by 51. Oregon St. won at Oregon, who won at Washington.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 10:14 PM)
All the talk about Pac-10 only getting one bid is well deserved, some of the results in the conference are f***ed.

Washington beat Seattle (1st season in Division 1) by 47. Seattle won at Oregon State by 51. Oregon St. won at Oregon, who won at Washington.

Washington has been a disappointment, I felt they were going to be a good team come March and sleeper. Can't win on the road though.

Winner of that conference is in, rest are basically screwed besides maybe Cal, but they still need to win more games.

On the other hand, good win for Purdue yesterday! :headbang

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 09:01 AM)
This really pains me to say, but Syracuse is really good. I've been saying they're overrated all year but I think I'm wrong.

The Big East is brutal every year.

Seton Hall (12-7), Providence (12-8), Marquette (12-8), and St John's (12-8) will probably have no chance to get to the NCAAs even if they win 17 or 18 games. Even UConn, ND, 'ville, USF, and Cincy may struggle to get in.

Syracuse (20-1)

Villanova (19-1)

West Virginia (16-3)

Georgetown (15-4)

Pittsburgh (16-4)

Notre Dame (15-6)

Connecticut (13-7)

Louisville (13-7)

Cincinnati (13-7)

S. Florida (13-7)

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 02:14 PM)
Is it me or is Demetri McCamey the worst handler of a basketball in the country in terms of dribbling and controlling the ball? I mean Demetri can be very good at times passing, shooting and driving, but he sucks at dribbling.

I guess you haven't seen Luke Loucks.

I am incredibly dissappointed in the lack of progress this Illini team has made thus far into the season. They should be handling these bad teams easily now instead of playing dumb basketball like in the beginning of the season.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 06:43 PM)
Demarcus Cousins, Calipari and Kentucky are everything that is wrong with college basketball.

im glad im not the only one who thinks so....hard for me to not be biased in this game but cousins is such a thug....this kentucky team is clearly the most talented team in the country tho IMO

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 07:50 PM)
ISU 66 Bradley 47.

That makes ISU 2-0 vs Utah and Bradley and the Illini are 0-2 vs those same schools.

Nobody has said anything about Illinois/ISU in weeks and you bring it up. Prepare to get flamed and probably rightfully so.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 07:55 PM)
Nobody has said anything about Illinois/ISU in weeks and you bring it up. Prepare to get flamed and probably rightfully so.

I'm just making sure they know that their 1% chance of losing to us is a little off. Really don't care if I get flamed. Talking trash is what make sports fun so if they can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen.

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 09:59 PM)
I'm just making sure they know that their 1% chance of losing to us is a little off. Really don't care if I get flamed. Talking trash is what make sports fun so if they can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen.

The Illini have no excuse for losing those games. Pretty much the same as ISU has no real excuse for losing to teams like Niagra.