Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 06:19 PM)
Totally. For all the talk every year about all of the bubble teams, how many of them actually make any noise in the tournament? I think George Mason is the only double digit seed in the last 20 years or so to make the Final Four. And now you wanna add more mediocre teams?? No thanks.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)
So it sounds like there is a good chance that the NCAA tournament will be expanding to 96 teams. Way to ruin the best postseason sports NCAA. And way to continue to prove you are arguably the biggest joke of an organization in the world. This is the dumbest idea ever. There aren't even 65 deserving teams in a single season let alone 96. I hope everyone joins me in boycotting the NCAA tournament due to the expansion if this happens.

As much as I'd like to see the tourney format stay the same, you'll be in a serious minority on this.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 12:13 AM)
As much as I'd like to see the tourney format stay the same, you'll be in a serious minority on this.

Oh I know, but aside from Illinois games I am going to have no desire at all to watch that first round of games. There are enough mediocre teams in the tournament now, they don't need to add 31 more.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 04:08 PM)
Makes me sick to my stomach just hearing about expanding the tourny. It's the best thing in sports, LEAVE IT THE f*** ALONE

FTW.

You add more teams, it means a lot of blow outs in the first week.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 05:08 PM)
Makes me sick to my stomach just hearing about expanding the tourny. It's the best thing in sports, LEAVE IT THE f*** ALONE

Yep. This is inexcusable. The NCAA tournament is the closest thing to a perfect event as there is in sports. And even as is there are a bunch of teams that really deserving each year. To use an example the Illinois team that was a bubble team 3 years ago, now I argued then and will argue now they deserved to be in a 65 team field. However, that team was mediocre and really didn't add anything to the tournament. And that is true for generally at least 5 or 6 teams every year. And now we want to add 31 more of those teams, some of which are going to struggle to be over .500 (I could easily see a major conference team finish under .500 not win their conference tourney and make the NCAA field). The entire first weekend will be watered down, and who the hell is going to want to watch a 9 seed face a 24 seed in the first round. There won't be any magic when there is an upset like that and it will be terrible basketball. I'm sure we are all looking forward to those 16 v. 17 seed matchups between teams that finished below .500 in major conferences. Picture the 4th place team in this years Pac 10 facing the 11th place team from the Big East. Ugh

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 05:12 PM)
FTW.

You add more teams, it means a lot of blow outs in the first week.

I'm not sure that is true since I'm assuming the top 32 teams would get byes. In actuality it would produce an incredible amount of crappy basketball between nothing but bubble teams and low major champions. That sounds like fun doesn't it.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 06:30 PM)
Maybe they could just have a play-in weekend. Take 16 of the "auto-bid" teams that never win and have them play down til four of them are left. The "winners" will have played for the right to get slaughtered by the #1 seeds.

That'd be absolutely no fair to anyone. There aren't 16 conferences that are bad enough to do that. I'm sure Kansas would have loved to have faced Davidson in the first round a few years back or Western Kentucky the last few years or Cornell this year, etc etc etc

It's perfect the way it is, leave it alone, the end.

Kind of funny how willing they are to change something that works so great in March Madness when nobody asked to change it, but they are totally unwilling to change the BCS to a playoff format when people have been screaming about it for years.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 09:06 AM)
Kind of funny how willing they are to change something that works so great in March Madness when nobody asked to change it, but they are totally unwilling to change the BCS to a playoff format when people have been screaming about it for years.

All about the $$$$$$$$.

What sucks is that this will kill the regular season now. Teams in the ACC/Big10/BigEast/etc always aimed for a minimum of .500 to basically be assured a tournament bid. Now teams finishing 7-9 or 8-10 will be getting. Also I bet we see some of the "bubble" teams start scheduling really soft OOC because they wont need those signature OOC wins and the high SOS ranking since their conference will basically give them a top 100 RPI as long as they hover around .500 in conference.

This will probably but an end to the NIT.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 09:23 AM)
All about the $$$$$$$$.

What sucks is that this will kill the regular season now. Teams in the ACC/Big10/BigEast/etc always aimed for a minimum of .500 to basically be assured a tournament bid. Now teams finishing 7-9 or 8-10 will be getting. Also I bet we see some of the "bubble" teams start scheduling really soft OOC because they wont need those signature OOC wins and the high SOS ranking since their conference will basically give them a top 100 RPI as long as they hover around .500 in conference.

This will probably but an end to the NIT.

I know, but both properties are mad moneymakers. And they are tweaking the one that doesnt need it

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 04:34 PM)
So the new rumor floating around on a Wisconsin site is that 3 teams will join the Big 10:

Pitt, Syracuse and Rutgers

Ugh, these rumors are stupid. How do you manage a 14 team conference schedule for football?