Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Tarheels will be very interesting to watch this year. Strickland or Drew will have to be pretty solid if they are going to be anywhere near 4 or 6 as the meaningless pre season polls predict. If they get solid play at the point they can be dangerous to be back in the final four, but that's a big IF.

As for Kentucky, hell yea I would have them that high. Wall (if eligible) is a D. Rose. Pat Patterson with Cousins, plus the depth and yes they are deserving of a high pre season ranking even with all the new faces to mesh together. I could see it implodeing on them as well, which would be fine with me.

Kansas is a well deserved pre season #1. So, glad that means next to nothing unlike NCAA football.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 12:25 PM)
When I saw a newspaper article today about TN being preseason #10, I was a bit surprised. I didn't realize we had that much respect this year. I mean, I've always thought we were going to be good, but I didn't think the rest of the country would think so.

you guys didnt really lose anyone, and have Smith Chism Hopson Prince all should be huge contributors.....so in that way, i give your team respect...but on the other hand i'll never respect you guys because your coach is the worlds biggest douche...that and that ugly orange color :D

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 01:27 PM)
The only player we lost is TD. Don't get me wrong, he was amazing at FSU, but I feel that Leonard was forced to run the offense through him. This also meant a lot of bad shots and turnovers trying to get him the ball. I expect to see more offense from the team as a whole this year although we lost Toney, especially since everyone besides him is coming back. Coach Ham is also trying to use the teams athleticism to his advantage and wants to up the tempo which will be nice to see from a Florida St team. I don't expect to beat Ohio St (which I'm upset we're on the road again this year, I've only seen one Big 10/ACC game in my four years and it was vs Minn). I don't expect to win the ACC this year at all, but I do think we make the dance again. I also wish we played Duke and UNC at home, but what can you do. I hope Soloman comes back too after this season, but he is already receiving the hype. That being said, I can't wait for Tuesday for the exhibition game to see Snaer and Shannon (built like a Clemson PF) play. I also expect Gibson to have a break out year. Hopefully I get to Disney too over Thanksgiving break to see the Old Spice Classic Tournament.

And Echefu. That's 30 points and 2 of the top 3 scorers right there between the two of them. I'm just sayin, they continually disappoint.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 08:52 AM)
you guys didnt really lose anyone, and have Smith Chism Hopson Prince all should be huge contributors.....so in that way, i give your team respect...but on the other hand i'll never respect you guys because your coach is the worlds biggest douche...that and that ugly orange color :D

I believe that goes to Calipari.

But yes, I will admit Pearl is a bit of a sleaze.

Im liking the love for the Big Ten to start the season, hopefully they can keep that up by finally winning the ACC-Big Ten challenge and having a good showing in out of conference play.

Personally, I dont see Ohio State nor Michigan that high, I see Michigan below Illinois (just a teensy bit biased there :P ) and I see Minnesota pulling more into the 13-17 range.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)
I believe that goes to Calipari.

But yes, I will admit Pearl is a bit of a sleaze.

Seconded on Calipari. I just don't understand the fascination everyone has with ranking Kentucky so high. So...you lose Jodie Meeks, gain a sleezeball jagbag of a coach, get a heralded, but completely untested group of true freshman coming in, and all of a sudden they are going to rule over not only a deep SEC East, but Top 5-10 in the country?

Please.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 06:42 PM)
Seconded on Calipari. I just don't understand the fascination everyone has with ranking Kentucky so high. So...you lose Jodie Meeks, gain a sleezeball jagbag of a coach, get a heralded, but completely untested group of true freshman coming in, and all of a sudden they are going to rule over not only a deep SEC East, but Top 5-10 in the country?

Patterson very well may be the best all-around player in college basketball this season. I think Wall is overrated, but he's still probably the best point guard in college basketball. Throw in guys like Cousins and Bledsoe to go along with Miller/Orton/Dodson and you have an extremely talented team. Plain and simple, the talent level in college basketball sucks. With any other coach, Ga Tech would likely be a top 5 team as they have 3 potential lottery picks in their starting lineup.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 10:35 AM)
And Echefu. That's 30 points and 2 of the top 3 scorers right there between the two of them. I'm just sayin, they continually disappoint.

I can't believe I forgot Uche. That's how little he showed up last year. Injuries really slowed him down. I can't wait for tomorrow night.

just picked up tix for Illinois @ Northwestern game. Its always my favorite game to go to, the little high school gym is usually over half orange, and its on a Saturday night this year. If NW could have some success and get some more fan support, I think that gym could be a big home court advantage for them. Its so small, I'm sure its gotta get pretty loud if packed with all Wildcat fans.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 03:00 PM)
Patterson very well may be the best all-around player in college basketball this season. I think Wall is overrated, but he's still probably the best point guard in college basketball. Throw in guys like Cousins and Bledsoe to go along with Miller/Orton/Dodson and you have an extremely talented team.

Yup, complete agreement here. Since the regular season starts a week from today with a few games, I'll throw in my pre season final four pick:

Kansas

Kentucky

Texas

Butler

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 2, 2009 -> 10:20 AM)
just picked up tix for Illinois @ Northwestern game. Its always my favorite game to go to, the little high school gym is usually over half orange, and its on a Saturday night this year. If NW could have some success and get some more fan support, I think that gym could be a big home court advantage for them. Its so small, I'm sure its gotta get pretty loud if packed with all Wildcat fans.

I just got a couple for Ohio State @ Purdue. Love that the NCAA hoops season is almost here. Go TAAAAAAAAR HEEEEEELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was at the game last year & I'd say it was a fun experience.

The student section is usually pretty good, but there are far too many alums that buy good seats and never show up. Against a lot of Big Ten teams it is often 50-50 or worse.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 2, 2009 -> 04:05 PM)
I've got my tickets for ISU vs. UIC on the 23rd. Should be a fun game. Hopefully alot of Redbird fans in attendance.

I believe I'm gunna go to that game. I'm really thinking we take over that arena.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Nov 2, 2009 -> 07:28 PM)
I believe I'm gunna go to that game. I'm really thinking we take over that arena.

Probably. UIC's student body doesn't support the team. The only game I remember us selling out was against Georgia Tech in '04 which Cedric Banks almost singlehandledly beat #2 Georgia Tech. Heck of a game, but free throws cost us. Other than that, our Pavillion doesn't sell out for jack unless it's the opposing team's fans coming in.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 2, 2009 -> 08:20 PM)
Probably. UIC's student body doesn't support the team. The only game I remember us selling out was against Georgia Tech in '04 which Cedric Banks almost singlehandledly beat #2 Georgia Tech. Heck of a game, but free throws cost us. Other than that, our Pavillion doesn't sell out for jack unless it's the opposing team's fans coming in.

When I was in high school I was a bit of a UIC fan, Banks and Bailey were a blast to watch back than.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 12:42 PM)

Please.

Well, Kentucky isn't tested at all yet, but the amount of raw talent they have matches anyone in the country. Just because they won't necessarily mesh for a little while doesn't mean they can't still beat teams strictly off talent. In the age we're in of college basketball in which freshmen have and will continue to dominate the game (thank you one and done rule, which I can't stand) it's not that far off to give a class supposedly as talented as theirs credit before they've "proven" anything.

I would bet money on John Wall being the #1 pick in the NBA Draft next year, do you really think he needs time to adjust to the SEC East? I'm aware the SEC East is "deep" this year, but that's not saying that much. Calipari, regardless of what you think of him, has proven he can take star studded freshmen and make it into a great team. There's no reason to believe he can't and won't do that this year.

I understand the argument, but strictly off talent give me 10 teams that have more than Kentucky as of now.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 03:00 PM)
Plain and simple, the talent level in college basketball sucks. With any other coach, Ga Tech would likely be a top 5 team as they have 3 potential lottery picks in their starting lineup.

Agreed on this. The college basketball talent level will continue to decline until something is done about the one year rule. It doesn't allow any progression of teams, as some who rely on freshmen are constantly rebuilding. And those who can't consistently bring in a top class year in and year out will not compete consistently for titles. It creates all sorts of problems and pressure that college basketball does not need.

Agreed on Ga Tech as well. Paul Hewitt is horrible. Him and John Brady need to hang out. One Final Four and absolutely nothing else. Once Jarrett Jack it's been a complete downfall of a program that was about as hot as can be, everyone loved those teams. If they fail to do anything this year, he should be gone.