Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 09:36 PM)
Im saying its funny that your whining about calls when your team has the clear advantage, the only real poor call was the 3rd foul on Turner.

LOL, ok buddy. You are right, the refs really hate Illinois.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 04:40 AM)

They get the short end of the stick EVERY game they play. I still say that if the current fan base ever had to deal with a game at Duke, there might be a riot on Illini message boards. The ironic thing is that WHarris and WS99 are two of the best minds in these threads, so I'm not calling them out at all.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 10:42 PM)
They get the short end of the stick EVERY game they play. I still say that if the current fan base ever had to deal with a game at Duke, there might be a riot on Illini message boards.

Well we did have Deron get taken out with 2 weak first half fouls against them in the tourney when we were taking it to them early in the game. Does that count?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 09:40 PM)

When did I say that, just laughed when you complained about s*** not being called on Illini given the huge free throw disparity and the fact Ive been watching the game and the only really poor call against Ohio State was the 3rd foul on Turner.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 04:43 AM)
Well we did have Deron get taken out with 2 weak first half fouls against them in the tourney when we were taking it to them early in the game. Does that count?

Haha, I remember that game. As bad as it is playing them in the tournament, games at Cameron are infinitely worse.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 09:43 PM)
When did I say that, just laughed when you complained about s*** not being called on Illini given the huge free throw disparity and the fact Ive been watching the game and the only really poor call against Ohio State was the 3rd foul on Turner.

LOL, and once again you are trying to use a free throw disparity to prove that the refs are favoring one team over the other. Bad calls and total fouls called have ZERO correlation, zero. Just because Illinois is hacking more than OSU doesnt mean that the refs have missed every call on the buckeyes.

As for that being the only bad call, I'd love to list some more than that, but I really dont care because at the end of the day it really doesnt matter as much as the talen disparity between the two teams.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 09:43 PM)
Yessss, another Illinois fans vs. all conversation!!

No, it wont be that, its a ridiculous argument with the basis that at the end of all basketball games, if the fouls arent even for both teams than the refs favored one over the other.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 09:51 PM)
Ohio State is a team that could legitimately rail almost anyone in the tournament or at the same time lose to a team seeded much lower and significantly less talented.

Pretty much any team with size can take them down, or a cold shooting night. They play well against teams that dont have length in the backcourt and dont press much. They are only 6 deep, so really a good team could tire them out pretty easily. A dominant big man would cause alot of problems if Lauderdale got into foul trouble.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 10:53 PM)
Pretty much any team with size can take them down, or a cold shooting night. They play well against teams that dont have length in the backcourt and dont press much. They are only 6 deep, so really a good team could tire them out pretty easily. A dominant big man would cause alot of problems if Lauderdale got into foul trouble.

I think Kentucky would potentially be a terrible matchup for OSU. Patterson and Cousins would destroy them and their guards are big enough and athletic enough to stay with OSU's wings.

For anyone who has followed big ten basketball, you know the home team gets homer calls. Two major Illinois runs in this game were shut down on phantom calls. I dunno how anyone can deny this. It has less to do with the games being called in favor of one team or another, and everything to do with the home team ALWAYS getting bailed out by the refs killing momentum. Illinois was up 4, and three possessions in a row Ohio State manages to get the ball to kill the momentum. Illinois is down 6, makes a run, and gets killed by another 2-3 possessions in a row that goes Ohio States way. Yeah, OSU is clearly the driving team so they're going to get more calls and get to the FT line more. But it's not a consistent game when you let guys play physically and then magically decide that three possessions in a row its not.

This Illinois team was screwed by the schedule. They're clearly a decent team as every major opponent they've faced they've been able to hang with them for the majority of the game (save for the 2nd half @msu and the first game against osu). Their downfall was playing down to their competition. I still think all they have to do is win one more game (either against Wisky or another in the tourney) and they're in. They have good quality wins and their bad losses were in the first month of the season.

Edit: And I'll add that the biggest weakness of this team is Jeff Jordan. He is awful. He's not a threat to do anything on the offensive end, picks up his dribble in horrible situations, and just doesn't help the offense flow. I'd say about 3 losses of this team are squarely on him being absolutely awful and allowing opponents to increase their lead while McCamey is on the bench.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 09:53 PM)

Yup, foul trouble and cold shooting are clearly the two biggest things to worry about.

Regardless, we simply matchup horribly with you guys. Oh well, hopefully we can pull it out this weekend vs. UW

I love DMac's offensive game but he just kills us with his D. That is two games against OSU where Richardson and Paul did a really solid job on Turner but Diebler kills us with wide open 3 after wide open 3 because of DMac's defense or lack thereof. There isn't a guard in the NBA that wouldn't score 50 if McCamey was guarding them for 35 minutes.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 10:01 PM)
You have to love the Villain wearing a Club Tril shirt during pregame.

Titus dropped some tears when he was announced. I thought it was nice that they focused on how much he's given to charity with the club tril tshirts and whatnot.

Also love seeing Sullinger in the crowd tonight, he'll be frustrating posters on here shortly.

Also Turner with a TERRIBLE game, yet still dropped 16 and 12

Edited by RockRaines

I have a serious question about one of the calls in today's game by the way. Why did OSU get possession at the end of the half on the inadvertent whistle when they clearly didn't have the ball when the play was blown dead and then also get the ball to start the 2nd half? It should have been OSU's ball because they had the possession arrow and then the possession arrow should have switched. Obviously this didn't affect the game but am I misinterpreting the rule or is this just typical Ed Hightower garbage officiating?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 10:16 PM)
I have a serious question about one of the calls in today's game by the way. Why did OSU get possession at the end of the half on the inadvertent whistle when they clearly didn't have the ball when the play was blown dead and then also get the ball to start the 2nd half? It should have been OSU's ball because they had the possession arrow and then the possession arrow should have switched. Obviously this didn't affect the game but am I misinterpreting the rule or is this just typical Ed Hightower garbage officiating?

Yeah, they never explained that. Most likely Hightower bulls***. It was like he was trained to blow the whistle when he hears a buzzer.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 09:47 PM)
LOL, and once again you are trying to use a free throw disparity to prove that the refs are favoring one team over the other. Bad calls and total fouls called have ZERO correlation, zero. Just because Illinois is hacking more than OSU doesnt mean that the refs have missed every call on the buckeyes.

Illinois should have a huge disparity in FTAs almost every game for 2 reasons:

1) Their idiotic version of the motion offense results in bad long range jump shots almost every possession. No one takes it to the hoop. Early in the season Tisdale could draw some fouls in the post, but by now everyone knows to shove him away from the basket. There hasn't been any change in the offense for years, let alone this season, that would alter this dynamic.

2) Illinois is over-matched athletically against almost any team they play. Richardson is the only player close to having real quickness for them on the floor. And yet they never play zone. They hack a lot as result.

If you see an IL game where fouls are even, it's a sign the refs have been very biased in favor of IL. The FTA disparity is the sign of a bad team that is badly coached, not bias by the refs.

Edited by hitlesswonder

If you guys think your refs are bad, try playing in the valley. I'm sure some of the SIU fans can tell you they protect the slow, white kids from the cornfields.

Edited by kjshoe04

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 11:44 PM)
Illinois should have a huge disparity in FTAs almost every game for 2 reasons:

1) Their idiotic version of the motion offense results in bad long range jump shots almost every possession. No one takes it to the hoop. Early in the season Tisdale could draw some fouls in the post, but by now everyone knows to shove him away from the basket. There hasn't been any change in the offense for years, let alone this season, that would alter this dynamic.

2) Illinois is over-matched athletically against almost any team they play. Richardson is the only player close to having real quickness for them on the floor. And yet they never play zone. They hack a lot as result.

If you see an IL game where fouls are even, it's a sign the refs have been very biased in favor of IL. The FTA disparity is the sign of a bad team that is badly coached, not bias by the refs.

Paul is plenty quick and has defense has improved over the course of the season but he just takes amazingly bad shots. His first step is actually really explosive but he needs to improve his ball handling and shot selection. Also Illinois doesn't send their opponents to the FT line a lot, the exact opposite in fact so you are completely wrong on that point. Also who would are the players you would have liked to see take the ball to the basket during Weber's tenure. Deron did when he was here but that team was so efficient at getting great shots he didn't need to do it very often. DMac attacks when given the opportunity but doesn't always finish well. DJ and Paul will be able to do it more but neither is great off the dribble yet. Frazier, Meacham, McBride just aren't guys who are going to be able to take someone off the dribble. Dee couldn't do it at any point in his career. It is nice to say players should take it to the basket but you have to have guys capable of making those plays, that is a recruiting issue. Also, two years ago Illinois was 199th in 3PA/FGA so not sure how the offense has never changed. The problems the last few years have been personnel based much more so than coaching based.