Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 11:57 PM)
If you guys think your refs are bad. Try playing in the valley. I'm sure some of the SIU fans can tell you they protect the slow, white kids from the cornfields.

Refs throughout college basketball are just absolutely horrible. I'm actually surprised when I watch a game these days where I don't notice the officiating.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 11:00 PM)
Refs throughout college basketball are just absolutely horrible. I'm actually surprised when I watch a game these days where I don't notice the officiating.

You are right about this. They are brutal everywhere.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 10:59 PM)
Paul is plenty quick and has defense has improved over the course of the season but he just takes amazingly bad shots. His first step is actually really explosive but he needs to improve his ball handling and shot selection.

Paul is obviously athletic in that he can jump like crazy, but I have a hard time judging how quick he is because he doesn't have the handle to drive and he still gets beat on defense with some regularity. He may be quick and I just can't see it yet. Some guys are athletic (Brown) and yet seem to lack lateral quickness.

Also Illinois doesn't send their opponents to the FT line a lot, the exact opposite in fact so you are completely wrong on that point.

It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. So, let's just say that tonight I thought UI hacked OSU. A lot. OSU was bigger and faster and it showed.

Also who would are the players you would have liked to see take the ball to the basket during Weber's tenure.

Recruiting is part of it, but coaching is as well. You don't have to rely on someone beating their man one-on-one off the dribble to penetrate. You can run an offense that involves screening and cutting to get offense going to the hoop. UI doesn't do that. They pass they ball around the perimeter hoping that the speed of the passing and motion of the players will get them a clear jump shot at some point. Your point about not having a guy that can break a defense on his own is true, but it is a fact that Weber's offense is not one that generates a lot of shooting fouls.

Also, two years ago Illinois was 199th in 3PA/FGA so not sure how the offense has never changed. The problems the last few years have been personnel based much more so than coaching based.

They generate a lot of long 2s, not necessarily 3s, in my estimation. Maybe I'm mistaken about that as well, but it seems like a very jump shot heavy offense to me.

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 12:26 AM)
They generate a lot of long 2s, not necessarily 3s, in my estimation. Maybe I'm mistaken about that as well, but it seems like a very jump shot heavy offense to me.

The last two years have been very heavy on jump shots which is based heavily on the personnel. Meacham was a spot up shooter, Davis and Tisdale both love the midrange jump shot. Richardson has been primarily a shooter but has shown the ability to hit the pull up J and get to the rim at times, Cole can only shoot jump shots. DMac has been the only player the last 2 years that can really get to the rim but he still doesn't finish that well consistently and prefers the jump pull up jump shot to taking it all the way to the rim. The 04-05 team was heavily dependent on 3's but also generated wide open 3's for great shooters on a consistent basis and that offense worked perfectly for that team. The 05-06 team was somewhat dependent on the 3 but was a very good offensive team in large part due to Augustine's offense and being a very good offensive rebounding team. The 06-07 and 07-08 teams with Pruitt at C took less jump shots but still took quite a few because the guards were very one dimensional (with McBride and Meacham being the 2Gs and also that Warren Carter was just an absolute stud his SR year and scored mostly on jump shots). I'd say Weber's offense is more geared towards jump shots than some but also leaves a lot of room for guys to take the ball to the rim. He also has shown a willingness to pound it inside when he has the personnel to do so.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 11:26 PM)
Paul is obviously athletic in that he can jump like crazy, but I have a hard time judging how quick he is because he doesn't have the handle to drive and he \Recruiting is part of it, but coaching is as well. You don't have to rely on someone beating their man one-on-one off the dribble to penetrate. You can run an offense that involves screening and cutting to get offense going to the hoop. UI doesn't do that. They pass they ball around the perimeter hoping that the speed of the passing and motion of the players will get them a clear jump shot at some point. Your point about not having a guy that can break a defense on his own is true, but it is a fact that Weber's offense is not one that generates a lot of shooting fouls.

Two words: Mike Davis. The motion offense is dependent on movement and screens on the backside. Mike Davis refuses to move around the court at all. Only when the shot clock gets to 10 does he finally come out to set a screen for a pick and pop.

I'll say it again too, the major issue with this team is not having a 2nd point guard. The margin of error is so small, especially when you play on the road, you just can't afford a 6-8 point swing. Jeff Jordan sucks at running an offense to the point where it's now expected that when he's in the game the team will not score any points. You just have to hope they play a little D. I dunno why Weber hasn't given him the reigns to at least attempt a couple of pull up jump shots when he's in the game. At least that way "Jeff Jordan does actually shoot the ball" would be on the scouting report. As it is, teams know he can't do anything with the ball, so the entire offense shuts down.

Not making the tournament in '07-'08 was not surprising (although just how bad they were was), but it would be pretty impressive for a team with a reasonable amount of talent like this years Illini have to not make the tournament. And if they don't win their next 2 games, I think they're out. The problem is that as talented as the class this year was in recruiting, and as talented as the class next year will be, they still really only have one point guard in McCamey. Unless I'm really missing something, Head and Richmond can't play point either, so this isn't a problem that's going away (although they will be better next year. I think.)

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 12:48 PM)
Not making the tournament in '07-'08 was not surprising (although just how bad they were was), but it would be pretty impressive for a team with a reasonable amount of talent like this years Illini have to not make the tournament. And if they don't win their next 2 games, I think they're out. The problem is that as talented as the class this year was in recruiting, and as talented as the class next year will be, they still really only have one point guard in McCamey. Unless I'm really missing something, Head and Richmond can't play point either, so this isn't a problem that's going away (although they will be better next year. I think.)

If they beat Wisconsin they should be in. 4 top 25 wins and an 11-7 conference record in a good Big 10 should definitely be enough. I don't think a 2nd PG is a huge deal as long as you have other guys who can handle the ball. Bertrand is solid in that regard, and Richmond is a very good ball handler who could definitely bring the ball up for stretches next year, especially since he won't be pressured by the other teams PG. Richardson and Paul need to improve their ball handling going forward and Head is injured so I can't really speak to his current status as a ball handler but he wasn't a bad ball handler (definitely not a PG though).

The 07-08 team sucked, but interestingly they were the 40th ranked team in the Kenpom ratings that year which are usually a very good indication of how good a team is. That team just had an amazing ability to not win close games which was directly related to their struggles to score in general and the fact that their best offensive player was a liability in key situations because he was terrible at the line which directly cost them the IU game, and indirectly cost them several other games.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 01:00 PM)
If they beat Wisconsin they should be in. 4 top 25 wins and an 11-7 conference record in a good Big 10 should definitely be enough. I don't think a 2nd PG is a huge deal as long as you have other guys who can handle the ball. Bertrand is solid in that regard, and Richmond is a very good ball handler who could definitely bring the ball up for stretches next year, especially since he won't be pressured by the other teams PG. Richardson and Paul need to improve their ball handling going forward and Head is injured so I can't really speak to his current status as a ball handler but he wasn't a bad ball handler (definitely not a PG though).

The 07-08 team sucked, but interestingly they were the 40th ranked team in the Kenpom ratings that year which are usually a very good indication of how good a team is. That team just had an amazing ability to not win close games which was directly related to their struggles to score in general and the fact that their best offensive player was a liability in key situations because he was terrible at the line which directly cost them the IU game, and indirectly cost them several other games.

As a guy who has seen Bertrand play probably two dozen times, I don't think he can play point at the Big 10 level. You are probably right about Richmond though because he's so good. As for the tournament, 2 more wins and they are a lock. No more wins and it's NIT team. If they just beat Wisconsin at home and then lose their 1st game in Indy (or lose to them and then win 1 in Indy) it'll be just like '06-'07 where they are like the last team in or first team out. Hopefully if that happens, the result is the same as that year and they sneak in.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 6, 2010 -> 01:45 PM)
Wow. Scottie Reynolds with a wide open 3 to win it and clanked it. WVU wins.

If it went in, I think they may have reviewed it waved it off. Couldnt tell cuz it was irrelevant but looked like the red light was on and ball still in his hand.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 04:09 PM)
As a guy who has seen Bertrand play probably two dozen times, I don't think he can play point at the Big 10 level. You are probably right about Richmond though because he's so good. As for the tournament, 2 more wins and they are a lock. No more wins and it's NIT team. If they just beat Wisconsin at home and then lose their 1st game in Indy (or lose to them and then win 1 in Indy) it'll be just like '06-'07 where they are like the last team in or first team out. Hopefully if that happens, the result is the same as that year and they sneak in.

Bertrand may not be able to play PG full time but he can certainly handle the ball well enough to give you 5-10 minutes at that position off the bench and that is all they need if McCamey stays (which he clearly should since I don't think he has anywhere near a first round pick).

So is there any debate that K state is the most overrated team in the country? Iowa State takes them down in Manhattan. Top 2 seeds don’t lose to the 11th place team in the conference at home. Brackins was fouled out before overtime too. That’s just pathetic and it makes me happy to see K State fail.

I don't want to shock you guys, but UNC just isn't very good.

In all seriousness, getting Thompson and Ginyard out of the program will be a good start, and a few transfers are hopefully in order. There's just a plague with this roster right now, and it needs to be cured.

Oh and @#$! you Pat Knight. Quit like your daddy dips*** did.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 04:36 AM)
I spent some of today wondering who would be GT's new coach. I still don't think he's had a team over 9-7 in the ACC. He's ridden that Final Four for a long time, but methinks that is about to end.

He has a 7 million dollar buyout. Most insiders think he's safe another year, which is absolutely f***ing pathetic. As for your boys, sounds like Landesberg played his last game for UVa.