Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 11:05 PM)
If Hewitt leaves GT, look for GT to be a major player with Tubby Smith. Sounds like there's a good chance it happens if Hewitt leaves.

I certainly wouldn't rule that out, if only because GT is a fairly solid program with a lot of good talent. That being said, all the discussion of him leaving for a crappy program (Oregon or Auburn) is hilarious and has no validity.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 12:30 PM)
I certainly wouldn't rule that out, if only because GT is a fairly solid program with a lot of good talent. That being said, all the discussion of him leaving for a crappy program (Oregon or Auburn) is hilarious and has no validity.

Oregon has $$$

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 04:01 PM)
Oregon has $$$

Given the stage of his career he's in, I don't think that really matters. Why would he leave a program that he just rebuilt for another rebuilding process? It doesn't make sense, especially since he's happy in Minnesota.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 02:06 PM)
Given the stage of his career he's in, I don't think that really matters. Why would he leave a program that he just rebuilt for another rebuilding process? It doesn't make sense, especially since he's happy in Minnesota.

Oregon can put together premium facilities, etc, to the point he may feel like he could turn them into a national title contender. I don't know if he feels like he can do that in Minny.

Again, just potential reasons. I have no idea what he is going to do and I tend to put Iowa and Minnesota in a similar position as job landscape goes. You guys got one hell of a coach and for the big ten's sake hopefully you keep him!

Sounds like Iowa is making a big push at Wichita State's coach, but who knows how true that is. They also have interviewed UTEP's coach Tony Barbee.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)

Why is Oregon a crappier program than Minny BTW? Whens the last time the Gophers won a conference title? Looks like 1982. The Ducks won in 2002 and won the conf tourney in 03 and 07. Oregon has made the NCAA tourney 5 times in this decade, while Minny has only done it 3 times. In those appearances, Oregon made the elite 8 in 02 and 07, Minny last did that in 1990. I understand alot of the success of the Gophers has been washed away due to scandals in the 90's but I still dont understand why you call Oregon a crappy program when they've been more successful than Minnesota has been of late.

Auburn does suck though.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
Why is Oregon a crappier program than Minny BTW? Whens the last time the Gophers won a conference title? Looks like 1982. The Ducks won in 2002 and won the conf tourney in 03 and 07. Oregon has made the NCAA tourney 5 times in this decade, while Minny has only done it 3 times. In those appearances, Oregon made the elite 8 in 02 and 07, Minny last did that in 1990. I understand alot of the success of the Gophers has been washed away due to scandals in the 90's but I still dont understand why you call Oregon a crappy program when they've been more successful than Minnesota has been of late.

Auburn does suck though.

Oregon also has the richest athletic department thanks to the large Nike donations. Afterall, they stole my baseball coach.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 04:19 PM)
Oregon also has the richest athletic department thanks to the large Nike donations. Afterall, they stole my baseball coach.

Actually I believe 1 and 2 are Texas and OSU depending on the year. They constantly battle for the top spot. OSU comes in at around 118 million annually.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 05:27 PM)
Actually I believe 1 and 2 are Texas and OSU depending on the year. They constantly battle for the top spot. OSU comes in at around 118 million annually.

There's a difference between revenue and profit. I think you're quoting raw revenue numbers.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)
Yes, because the budget is about 100 million.

It's also worth noting that each athletic department winds up booking expenses differently. For example, some athletic departments include things like payments on whatever money it was that built their stadium as an expense, others don't.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 04:18 PM)

Auburn does suck though.

My point isn't that Minnesota is a prestigious program. My point is that I seriously doubt Tubby would leave a program that he just rebuilt for another rebuilding process at this stage of his career. You can disagree with that all you want, but I don't think there's much of a doubt that Oregon would be a rebuilding project right now, which Tubby doesn't sound interested in tackling.

EDIT: There's also a lot of talk that Tubby is holding off on fully committing to the Gophers until he gets a new practice facility for the team, which wouldn't surprise me either. It's supposedly something that's been promised to him and he could be using the other "offers" as leverage to get it done.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)

Oregon has ridiculous donor money though that I believe still puts them overall at #1.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
My point isn't that Minnesota is a prestigious program. My point is that I seriously doubt Tubby would leave a program that he just rebuilt for another rebuilding process at this stage of his career. You can disagree with that all you want, but I don't think there's much of a doubt that Oregon would be a rebuilding project right now, which Tubby doesn't sound interested in tackling.

EDIT: There's also a lot of talk that Tubby is holding off on fully committing to the Gophers until he gets a new practice facility for the team, which wouldn't surprise me either. It's supposedly something that's been promised to him and he could be using the other "offers" as leverage to get it done.

But Minnesota is still in a rebuilding mode. It isn't like Minnesota is a national title contender right now. They only got into the tourney this year because they got hot at the right time. Otherwise they'd have been NIT bound.

Sure he's recruited well by Minny standards but lets not think for one minute that Minnesota is a fully built title contender or anything even close to that. Oregon isn't either and maybe it would be a step back but the question is, would one step back allow him to take 2 steps forward more quickly.

And I don't even think Oregon is a big step back from Minny. Oregon has been more relevant than Minny in basketball this decade anyway and they have superior facilities and more money to draw (plus a big time football program as well).

I just don't see Minny being as good as you are saying they are in comparison to Oregon. You are really underselling Oregon.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 05:14 PM)
Oregon has ridiculous donor money though that I believe still puts them overall at #1.

Do you have a number for that? All I remember is them pledging a few years ago to give them 100 million for the start up of an athletic fund. I havent seen any annual numbers on that. As an athletic dept, they are many notches below the top programs since their revenue is around 60 million, so Nike would have to give over 50 million annually to make them the clear favorite.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 08:31 PM)
Both Sweet 16 games tonight have featured truly terrible basketball. Unforced turnovers all over the place along with unbelievably terrible shot selection.

I saw the last few minutes of the WV/WAS game and I heard middle school kids laughing at them.