Cowley quoting Jermaine on rios trade

Princess Dye

Paraphrasing, i should say...

Says that Jermaine gave him the old "it is what it is" line...pro athlete cliche #1 right there.

More importantly, JD told him there's no truth to the thought that he was emotionally hurt by the trade. Essentially saying he's a pro and all fine with it.

Was discussed at the end of the 3 oclock hour for those who later will want to hear on 670's casts.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)
Paraphrasing, i should say...

Says that Jermaine gave him the old "it is what it is" line...pro athlete cliche #1 right there.

More importantly, JD told him there's no truth to the thought that he was emotionally hurt by the trade. Essentially saying he's a pro and all fine with it.

Was discussed at the end of the 3 oclock hour for those who later will want to hear on 670's casts.

yea right

I think that we should want any pro to desire to be out there everyday.

The problem is when they dont wanna be out there, just collecting a check.

Dye has said nothing wrong, in my view. For him to call the Rios trade shocking or confusing is fair....there's nothing anti-team about that...it's his opinion, and he wants to play.

For him to take it farther...then yes, i would disagree with the apparent majority opinion that JD was out of line. Of course when yr slumping, anything you say is magnified. Were he still killing the ball, no one here would have a problem with the exact wording of his past statement. None.

Edited by Princess Dye

Anytime Dye wants to start improving these post ASB numbers let us know.

.184 BA

.292 OBP

.288 SLG

.580 OPS

4 homers

His numbers are so off he must be hurt.

His first half numbers

.302 BA

.375 OBP

.567 SLG

.942 OPS

20 homers

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 04:03 PM)
Anytime Dye wants to start improving these post ASB numbers let us know.

.184 BA

.292 OBP

.288 SLG

.580 OPS

4 homers

His numbers are so off he must be hurt.

His first half numbers

.302 BA

.375 OBP

.567 SLG

.942 OPS

20 homers

WOW! talk about two different guys!!

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 09:06 PM)
Since the ASB Dye's average has dropped from .302 to .267. He is batting a measely .197 in the month of August. Until he finds his swing again, he shouldn't even question or worry about who KW aqcuires.

He didn't question it as far as what I can see. Dye is a veteran and has the right to express is opinion if he wants, however, all I have ever seen from Jermaine Dye is that he is a team player. Dye might be slumping but so are a lot of others on this team and it seems that some folks are in constant search for scapegoats. Rios is here now and what has be done so far himself? There is no need for individual comparisons to make as you win or lose as a team.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 04:18 PM)
He didn't question it as far as what I can see. Dye is a veteran and has the right to express is opinion if he wants, however, all I have ever seen from Jermaine Dye is that he is a team player. Dye might be slumping but so are a lot of others on this team and it seems that some folks are in constant search for scapegoats. Rios is here now and what has be done so far himself? There is no need for individual comparisons to make as you win or lose as a team.

I hear ya. Good post. They all need to suck it up, start hitting the hell out of the ball. As Walker would say. "We need to start playing 'loosy goosy' ball

Rios and Dye have really struggled and I think both need to get things fixed. However, when it comes to Dye, I don't see how anyone can question his character. The guy is one of the classiest guys in baseball and up until this recent stretch has been one of the most consistent Rf'ers (and by consistent, I mean consistently good) in baseball since he put on a White Sox uniform.

Has his era ended, maybe, although I still think he's got some good baseball left in the tank and I hope he can get out of this ugly rut.

Since no one is taking Dye's perspective (completely guessing this might be it..)

But players slump. From the player's perspective: do you take away someone's atbats when their average slides for a few months? Plenty of vets get to play through big slumps.

Obviously we need to do what we need to do....but from the player's point of view, they want to play - they dont want to feel like anyone's knocking at the door to take time away from them.

Obviously we want the player to produce, but now we have two RFs who cant hit...not just one!

Edited by Princess Dye

Those second half numbers are still better than what Rios has given us. Man, he is going to be overpaid.

Is Rios another guy to loaf mentally and physically after getting the huge contract? So far the answer is yes. He has a chance to prove that wrong next year, but he's been a pathetic hitter with the Sox so far.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 06:19 PM)
Rios was brought in to play CF, not RF.

Yes, but having the viable CF for next year basically destroyed any use for Dye in 2010. Quentin now slots over to RF and, since the new acquisition is also right-handed, there's a need for a lefty power bat. That leaves Thome in and Dye out.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 06:48 PM)
Yes, but having the viable CF for next year basically destroyed any use for Dye in 2010. Quentin now slots over to RF and, since the new acquisition is also right-handed, there's a need for a lefty power bat. That leaves Thome in and Dye out.

Huh? Why does Quentin have to move to RF, when there's nobody to take his place in LF? (Unless you consider Pods an option for next year. I don't.)

Rios being right-handed also has nothing to do with JD's 2010 status. His contract and play down the stretch this year do.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 09:19 PM)
Huh? Why does Quentin have to move to RF, when there's nobody to take his place in LF? (Unless you consider Pods an option for next year. I don't.)

Rios being right-handed also has nothing to do with JD's 2010 status. His contract and play down the stretch this year do.

Quentin is a natural RF, and LF is usually where you stick the worst defender (the easiest to fill).

And yes, I believe it definitely has something to do with Dye's status. It's pretty obvious that at least one of Thome and Dye are gone, and since we aren't lacking in RH power, Dye is the odd man out.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 09:23 PM)
Quentin is a natural RF, and LF is usually where you stick the worst defender (the easiest to fill).

That's not really true. LF and RF require different skill sets. LF demands more speed, but less arm strength. RF demands the opposite. This is why guys like Johnny Damon and Juan Pierre play LF and guys like JD and Vlad Guerrero play RF. Quentin is somewhere in between and can play either competently.

And yes, I believe it definitely has something to do with Dye's status. It's pretty obvious that at least one of Thome and Dye are gone, and since we aren't lacking in RH power, Dye is the odd man out.

Yes, but that has nothing to do with Rios. Kenny isn't over-paying Rios to play a corner OF position.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 11:29 PM)
That's not really true. LF and RF require different skill sets. LF demands more speed, but less arm strength. RF demands the opposite. This is why guys like Johnny Damon and Juan Pierre play LF and guys like JD and Vlad Guerrero play RF. Quentin is somewhere in between and can play either competently.

Yes, but that has nothing to do with Rios. Kenny isn't over-paying Rios to play a corner OF position.

I don't think the acquisition of Rios ALONE means that Dye is gone, but the sum of a few different factors, all of which have been repeated over and over on this site.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 09:36 PM)
I don't think the acquisition of Rios ALONE means that Dye is gone, but the sum of a few different factors, all of which have been repeated over and over on this site.

Again, Rios was brought in to play CF. There is no pressing need to move Quentin to RF because the Sox don't have a viable long-term option at LF right now. The acquisition of Rios will have no impact on Dye, and your argument that it will doesn't make any sense.

What WILL have an impact on Dye's future with the Sox is the following:

1. Dye's contract is up and the end of this season and he'll most likely want a multi-year deal

2. Dye will be 36 in January

3. Dye has been in a massive slump for a month and a half and he's currently sporting a very average .825 OPS

4. Dye's defense has degraded to the point where he should be relegated to DH

5. Thome is sporting an .883 OPS

6. Thome bats left-handed

7. Thome will be more open to signing a one-year deal for less guaranteed money than Dye

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 10:35 AM)
Again, Rios was brought in to play CF. There is no pressing need to move Quentin to RF because the Sox don't have a viable long-term option at LF right now. The acquisition of Rios will have no impact on Dye, and your argument that it will doesn't make any sense.

What WILL have an impact on Dye's future with the Sox is the following:

1. Dye's contract is up and the end of this season and he'll most likely want a multi-year deal

2. Dye will be 36 in January

3. Dye has been in a massive slump for a month and a half and he's currently sporting a very average .825 OPS

4. Dye's defense has degraded to the point where he should be relegated to DH

5. Thome is sporting an .883 OPS

6. Thome bats left-handed

7. Thome will be more open to signing a one-year deal for less guaranteed money than Dye

As I said, many factors make Dye unnecessary. We seem to be in agreement. I feel that the acquisition of Rios is one of these factors, but you don't. The end.