FIRE WALKER

PeavyTime

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to ask a serious question:

Do you really believe that is what Walker tells them that?

Walker is a coach on a team run by Ozzie Guillen who loves contact and small ball.

Do you really believe that he has a coach who is telling the players the opposite?

Or is the simplest answer that the players are just not listening to Greg Walker?

Im sorry but most Sox players after they leave the Sox do not all of a sudden become amazing hitters. Most of these players are pretty set on their ways and do not really take well to coaching.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 07:22 PM)
yep, I'm sure our lineup full of veteran hitters and great hitting youngsters know absolutely nothing about baseball an blindly follow what Walker says.

I'm sure that Walker also controls how fast our aging sluggers swing their bats.

Seriously, when the core of a team's lineup is on the down-slope of their careers, is it any wonder that they can't score consistently?

Nope.

A hitting coach is a cliche. He's the whipping boy for when things are going bad.

A good hitting coach makes available tapes, extra BP, talking things over with hitters. I've always been shocked at those who put a lot of stock in a hitting coach.

Name me the good hitting coaches in baseball.

It's all cliche.

Our hitters suck because they suck.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 07:51 PM)
Nope.

A hitting coach is a cliche. He's the whipping boy for when things are going bad.

A good hitting coach makes available tapes, extra BP, talking things over with hitters. I've always been shocked at those who put a lot of stock in a hitting coach.

Name me the good hitting coaches in baseball.

It's all cliche.

Our hitters suck because they suck.

I wouldn't mind bringing in somebody different next season, as this team just doesn't seem to be responding to him. Perhaps they'd benefit from a different instructor with a different approach.

That said, I agree that the vast majority of the blame goes onto the players. Some of the guys that we're paying $10+ million a year just aren't that good anymore. It's the younger guys (Quentin, Beckham, A.J., Pods... and those last two aren't exactly spring chickens) who are producing right now.

The Sox need to bring in that guy from Texas. He's the best. So what if the Rangers are near the basement in avg. and obp. The're 2nd in homers. Yet another ridiculous thread. Hitting coaches are as good as the players they coach. Jayson Nix leads off and the Sox score 2 runs? If you're surprised, you don't know s*** about baseball.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 09:06 PM)
I want to ask a serious question:

Do you really believe that is what Walker tells them that?

Walker is a coach on a team run by Ozzie Guillen who loves contact and small ball.

Do you really believe that he has a coach who is telling the players the opposite?

Or is the simplest answer that the players are just not listening to Greg Walker?

Im sorry but most Sox players after they leave the Sox do not all of a sudden become amazing hitters. Most of these players are pretty set on their ways and do not really take well to coaching.

And what's the use of a hitting coach who doesn't have his players' ears? Fire him either way.

Somebody from the coaching staff needs to go. When a team underachieves as much as this team has/does, then management catches some of the blame.

Greg Walker is awful. It's not how he tells the players to swing, it's more of hits philosophy at the plate. He believes in taking a lot of pitches. More often than not, Sox players take the first pitch fastball down the middle of the plate. Then the rest of the at-bat the players are down in the count left to swing at worse pitches. Watch the next game and take note of how many Sox players take fast balls and how they are ALWAYS down in the counts 0-2 or 1-2 playing from behind thanks to Walker's philosophy of seeing a lot of pitches. It's absolutely stupid, you should swing at "your pitch," no matter what the count. Beckham used to swing at the first pitch when he got up and it led to a lot of his early success, and now even he doesn't do it. And it's no surpise Rios comes to the Sox and enters an 8-40 slump once Walk got a hold of him.

Blaming Walker for Rios' total crap at bats is simply wrong.

It's on Rios. He better get his act together to earn that money next year. He's been utterly crap. Many chances to drive in key runs and he ALWAYS fails (so far in the Sox uniform).

You think Rios, with his reputation, is listening to anybody much less Walker?

I agree he should be fired, just to give people something else to talk about next year.

The Sox better develop a plan for next year. Returning all the same position players and banking on our rotation excelling will not be the answer.

We have to totally rebuild the bullpen and get rid of some of the elder statesmen to go with our supposed great rotation.

Edited by greg775