FIRE WALKER

PeavyTime

QUOTE (Special K @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 01:07 AM)
thanks to Walker's philosophy of seeing a lot of pitches. It's absolutely stupid, you should swing at "your pitch," no matter what the count. Beckham used to swing at the first pitch when he got up and it led to a lot of his early success, and now even he doesn't do it. And it's no surpise Rios comes to the Sox and enters an 8-40 slump once Walk got a hold of him.

Walkers take a lot of pitches philosophy? Have you even watched AJ and Alexei bat? Oh, please. Beckham never experienced success by swinging at the 1sat pitch. As I recall, that led to him popping out an enormous amount upon his call up. His success at the major league level comes from taking pitches until he gets one to hit. Hell, that’s the case with almost every successful major leaguer barring Pablo Sandoval.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 12:55 AM)
I'm not saying I'm for it...but I won't be crying a river if it were to happen. I just feel this team is in need of a major shakeup of some sort.

Agreed. See: Colorado Rockies. Something needs to be done. Nobody seems to be accountable. And reading Paulie's comment about this not being football and intensity doesn't factor into baseball didn't sit real well with me either.

I googled "fired hitting coach"

"Struggling to score, the Indians made a major change following yesterday's 6-5 loss to the White Sox -- they fired hitting coach Eddie Murray, a Hall of Famer who was in his fourth year in the position ".

"The Mariners' prolonged slump took its first major victim Monday when hitting coach Jeff Pentland was fired and replaced by Lee Elia."

"The Chicago Cubs fired hitting coach Gerald Perry after 2½ seasons on Sunday in an attempt to spark a sputtering offense."

"The Padres have fired first-year hitting coach Jim Lefebvre. The Padres rank last in MLB in runs and batting average . ..."

"The Mets, seeking to inject some life into a struggling offense, have fired their hitting coach."

"The Philadelphia Phillies fired hitting coach Richie Hebner on Monday, while keeping five other coaches for the 2002 season.

Greg Gross, manager Larry Bowa's bench coach, replaces Hebner. The team will hire a new bench coach.

The Phillies tied for ninth in the National League in team batting average. "

It's what teams do when the hitters aren't hitting. Walker should go.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 01:52 AM)
I googled "fired hitting coach"

"Struggling to score, the Indians made a major change following yesterday's 6-5 loss to the White Sox -- they fired hitting coach Eddie Murray, a Hall of Famer who was in his fourth year in the position ".

"The Mariners' prolonged slump took its first major victim Monday when hitting coach Jeff Pentland was fired and replaced by Lee Elia."

"The Chicago Cubs fired hitting coach Gerald Perry after 2½ seasons on Sunday in an attempt to spark a sputtering offense."

"The Padres have fired first-year hitting coach Jim Lefebvre. The Padres rank last in MLB in runs and batting average . ..."

"The Mets, seeking to inject some life into a struggling offense, have fired their hitting coach."

"The Philadelphia Phillies fired hitting coach Richie Hebner on Monday, while keeping five other coaches for the 2002 season.

Greg Gross, manager Larry Bowa's bench coach, replaces Hebner. The team will hire a new bench coach.

The Phillies tied for ninth in the National League in team batting average. "

It's what teams do when the hitters aren't hitting. Walker should go.

lotta world series victories followed those moves too

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 01:27 AM)
Agreed. See: Colorado Rockies. Something needs to be done. Nobody seems to be accountable. And reading Paulie's comment about this not being football and intensity doesn't factor into baseball didn't sit real well with me either.

I think that quote was a bit odd. I think he meant that you can't just ride intensity in baseball, as it's a very finesse and skills based game, and you can't just give all your intensity once a week, as unlike football, you have possibly six more games.

Honest to god, where was this post on game 163 of last season? The Sox won it with great starting pitching, great defense, a great bullpen, and BY MOTHERF***ING GOD, the home run.

Where was this thread when Greg Walker was the hitting coach of the team that won the World Series in 2005?

Where was this thread when Jermaine Dye resurrected his career in Chicago, and became the best free agent signing in White Sox history?

Where was this thread when Quentin?

Where was this thread when Beckham?

I'm sorry, I'm sick of Walker too, and I think he needs a replacement, but I think he needs to be replaced by someone the organization feels is actually going to upgrade the hitters and improve their ability. If he is going to be replaced with a guy in AAA, I'd rather have Walker. "Lift and pull" still generates a hell of an offense; Earl Weaver can attest to it.

Every offense struggles. If you blame Greg Walker on the Sox not being able to hit pitchers they have never seen (which is currently wrong) or pitchers who have been struggling (which is currently right), then YOU are wrong; you are blaming the advanced scouting staff for not knowing how those pitchers have been attacking hitters recently.

Oh, and against a knuckler, you absolutely swing for the motherf***ing fences; if he doesn't get his knuckler over, and you arent swinging towards Japan, you can have 12 base hits in 6 innings and 2 runs (and I'm sure most would like that more right now. I think those that feel that way are wrong).

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 11:31 PM)
Fire everybody (Exept Herm and Coop, obviously)

Why not fire Coop? Why isn't Contreras struggling, Buehrle struggling, Dotel, Linebrink, Pena and to a lesser degree Jenks struggling and Thornton's recent struggles on him?

The Sox have had several injuries, maybe they should change the trainer.

Firing a coach is usually a desperation move.

A desperation move that rarely works.

I generally dislike mid season firing.

At this point, I've resigned myself to Walker always being here.

I'd like to see what he does with a different team, you know, just to compare ;)

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 07:43 AM)
And as Lostfan points out, can we just bookmark this thread and bump it a few times a year? :lolhitting

You're proving our point. The offense struggles mightily every April and August. When will adjustments be made to address this?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 07:46 AM)
You're proving our point. The offense struggles mightily every April and August. When will adjustments be made to address this?

Perhaps when there is an offense out there that never struggles? Every team goes through a rough patch or two during the season. Better teams, fewer and less severe, worse teams, more often, longer, and more severe. It's the nature of a long season.

I love that movie!!! Awesome idea for a thread!

firewalker1.jpg

Norris and Gossett play Max Donigan and Leo Porter, two soldiers of fortune, whose adventures seem to almost never result in any notable gain, are befriended by an inscrutable woman of mystery Patricia (Melody Anderson). Patricia's map leads them on a quest for treasure in Central America. The name of the movie comes from the powerful guardian of the treasure. Who we never see walk on fire though.

This movie is famous for a fight scene in which Norris singlehandedly defeats almost every male customer in a Mexican bar and destroys the bar in the process.

What other bad 80s action flicks can we discuss as well?

How about Mega Force!?!

Ribbie FTW

If not for bringing up Chuck Norris, but also for making me remember how awesomely bad that movie was. I loved the scene where CN broke the water bottle so he could cut the ropes that were binding him, and Louis Gossett Jr b****ed about it for the entire scene.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 08:32 AM)
Ribbie FTW

If not for bringing up Chuck Norris, but also for making me remember how awesomely bad that movie was. I loved the scene where CN broke the water bottle so he could cut the ropes that were binding him, and Louis Gossett Jr b****ed about it for the entire scene.

Roger Ebert's review of this movie made me love him as a reviewer and as a great writer. He hated it and his review is awesome!

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../611210303/1023

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 09:24 AM)
At this point I would not re-sign Dye, Thome, or Contreras. I only hope we can find a serviceable left handed hitter with pop in the free agent market or in a trade (Alexei).

The only thing that makes think about retaining Thome...his lack of suitors this offseason (due to him being a tough fit, AL only, wants contenders)

So he could come back cheap. Maybe time to drop him in the order though.

I do want a power hitting lefty, but lets say NYY takes Holliday....... if Jason Bay were affordable, I'd have to think about it. Word from my BoSox friends is that Boston will not try to resign him.

That would leave us til 2010 for finding more lefty bats. Assuming Thome lasts the whole year.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 07:27 AM)
Why not fire Coop? Why isn't Contreras struggling, Buehrle struggling, Dotel, Linebrink, Pena and to a lesser degree Jenks struggling and Thornton's recent struggles on him?

The Sox have had several injuries, maybe they should change the trainer.

2nd in the American League in ERA, 10th in runs scored. That's a poor argument out of you.

I feel like I've said this every year of my life now but I don't think firing Walker is going to help that much but it sure as hell isn't going to hurt this club. Even if it just wakes up the offense for a week or so(and that's happened several times after a hitting coach gets fired) then it could be a huge boost to this teams playoff chances.

Apparently, an article I think it was, came out and stated Walker doesn't handle the vets, just the new guys coming up. So with guys like AJ, Thome, Dye, PK, it's all on them. Walker handles guys like Getz, Alexei, Fields, Beckham(though I wouldn't tinker with him at all), Quentin, and god knows about Rios.

I'd say, although I'd like to see Walker fired, he's done somewhat decent. I think there is better out there though. And I want a hitting coach who isn't afraid to coach older guys. Bring back Hriniak.