Brad Penny released..

prochisox

Penny granted release, making room for Wagner

Veteran right-hander Brad Penny requested and received his release tonight in a move that clears a roster spot for reliever Billy Wagner and gives Penny time to join a new team before postseason rosters are set.

“I asked for my release and I got it,” Penny said.

Speaking after last night’s 3-2 victory over the White Sox, Penny thanked the Red Sox for taking a chance on him.

“I enjoyed playing with all of the guys,” he said. “I played for a great manager on a great team. I had a great time. I enjoyed it. I wish things had worked out better, but that happens.”

Penny will be placed on release waivers tomorrow and clear them on Monday. He can talk to other teams while on waivers, but he can’t formally enter into a contract until he clears. He would like the opportunity to start, which probably wasn’t going to happen in Boston.

The former All-Star was removed from the rotation after winning just once in his final 11 starts. He was ready to pitch in relief of Tim Wakefield tonight, but Wakefield didn’t need it and after the game Penny huddled with manager Terry Francona and general manager Theo Epstein.

Penny’s goal is to hook on with someone else by the end of August, which would make him postseason-eligible. Even with his numbers not where he wanted them, he was still throwing 97 mph in his final start.

Coming off a serious arm injury, Penny was one of the team’s low-cost flyers this offseason. He signed a one-year, $5 million contract with another $3 million in potential incentives, though he fell short of all of them.

After a slow start, he pitched well. He went 4-3 with a 3.68 ERA in 12 starts between May 3 and July 4, but then everything fell apart.

He has won just once since June 18 and was removed from the rotation after allowing eight runs in four innings of Friday’s 20-11 loss to the Yankees. He finished his Red Sox career 7-8 with a 5.61 ERA.

“I had some bad breaks and made some bad pitches,” he said. “But I’m healthy, and that’s what I’m happy about. This isn’t last year, when I was hurt. If that had been the case, I’d be upset.

“All in all I had a great time here. My shoulder is healthy and I’m glad I came here. It was a blessing.”

Penny’s departure creates an opening for Wagner, the left-handed reliever who was acquired from the Mets on Tuesday and is expected in uniform tomorrow night.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/r...oom-for-wagner/

Wouldnt have to rush Peavy if we signed this guy.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 01:18 AM)
Contreras/Colon/Penny/Garcia is a World Series caliber staff.... If it were 2005.

Add '05 Buehrle and Peavy

And you have easily the most dominant staff ever. Thing is, 3 of those guys are completely washed up (Contreras, Colon, Penny) and one is a servicable #5 (Freddy)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 05:59 AM)
oh yeah, and Brad Penny is an NL pitcher. He'll go to the Rockies and pitch wherever and he'll be solid for a month and a half, and then get more money in free agency. The Sox should want absolutely nothing to do with him.

Post of the millenium... I came here to say just this.