If Ozzie benched Swish for Wise

Princess Dye

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 09:29 AM)
I'm for it, but Ozzie is exceedingly loyal, which is both good and bad. You won't see Dye benched for awhile yet.

I cant wait til we have the first manager to visibly use laptops in the dugout.

I am not anti-ozzie but that loyalty thing really has hurt us. Honestly we probably won it in 05 because a lot of longstanding bonds had just been broken, a lot of the team was brand new.

Edited by Princess Dye

Wow. Some pretty amazing sentiments on this site the last few days. I could see Ozzie doing the "Dye needs a few days off to clear his head" thing, but he's not going to bench him. Maybe if this slump lasts another couple of weeks, but not sooner than that, IMO. Sure, maybe some of it is "loyalty," but it is also a long history of production. People act like the only reason some of these guys have jobs is because of 2005 but ignore their production since then.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 10:49 AM)
Wow. Some pretty amazing sentiments on this site the last few days. I could see Ozzie doing the "Dye needs a few days off to clear his head" thing, but he's not going to bench him. Maybe if this slump lasts another couple of weeks, but not sooner than that, IMO. Sure, maybe some of it is "loyalty," but it is also a long history of production. People act like the only reason some of these guys have jobs is because of 2005 but ignore their production since then.

Right, cause we can really afford another few weeks with our #3 (although not last night) hitter hitting under .200..

Actually, you're right. The season is over anyways. Let him hit his way out of the slump, no matter what the cost.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
We're screwed if Dye doesn't turn it around. Kotsay is horrible. Though if Dye can turn it on for September, he can carry us to the division title. Dye should be hitting 6/7 until then. But it's worth sticking with Dye over substituting Kotsay for him.

I agree Kotsay is horrible. Hes not a division winning starting player, hes a Washington Nationals player. And in a sense Ozzie did chose Kotsay over Dye when he pinch hit him last Sunday instead of Dye and he swung at a pitch that bounced in front of the plate. I really never want to see Kotsay in the lineup. Turdy Thirty

Bench Jermaine Dye for Mark Kotsay? Really? I agree Kotsay would put up better numbers than JD has over the past month, but that doesnt put us much closer to winning the division. To turn this around, we need JD to hit like he did in the first half, or at least close to his career norms. If he doesnt, its probably over, which is what its looking like more and more

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 08:35 AM)
Right, cause we can really afford another few weeks with our #3 (although not last night) hitter hitting under .200..

Actually, you're right. The season is over anyways. Let him hit his way out of the slump, no matter what the cost.

I'm glad to see that Ozzie finally moved him down in the lineup. I'd definitely give him more days off than usual, but benching a recently very-productive veteran like Dye permanently is tough to do. Further complicating matters is the fact that Kotsay isn't much of an improvement.

The Sox are going to live or die with Thome, Dye, and Konerko. They either start playing NOW, or they'll be watching the playoffs from their couches.

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)

Last I checked, Dye wasn't the #3 hitter anymore. You win or lose based on your stars. Dye is one of this team's stars, and he's going to get a very, very long leash. Teams win divisions with guys like Dye, not Kotsay, and that's not a knock on Kotsay, it's just who Dye and Kotsay are at this point in their careers.

On a different point, we can argue about the "right" way to treat players. This isn't a "2005" argument, it's an argument about a guy that's produced pretty much every year he's been with the team.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
I'm glad to see that Ozzie finally moved him down in the lineup. I'd definitely give him more days off than usual, but benching a recently very-productive veteran like Dye permanently is tough to do. Further complicating matters is the fact that Kotsay isn't much of an improvement.

The Sox are going to live or die with Thome, Dye, and Konerko. They either start playing NOW, or they'll be watching the playoffs from their couches.

I agree completely.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)
Last I checked, Dye wasn't the #3 hitter anymore. You win or lose based on your stars. Dye is one of this team's stars, and he's going to get a very, very long leash.

And this doesn't just apply to sports. You throw veterans in any profession under the bus "to send a message" and your organization's reputation will suffer. Those who adamantly disagree with this have likely never managed another human being in a work environment before.

Dye's track record indicates a very good chance that when he gets out of his slump (assuming its not due to an injury), he'll hit big - so you have to keep playing him. Its actually the smart move.

But you sure don't have to play him every day. I'd be for playing Kotsay and Rios in CF a bit more, giving Dye maybe every third day off, for now.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)
And this doesn't just apply to sports. You throw veterans in any profession under the bus "to send a message" and your organization's reputation will suffer. Those who adamantly disagree with this have likely never managed another human being in a work environment before.

I completely agree with you here. I avoided that particular analogy because people like to argue "it's different cause they play a game for a living and make millions!"

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)
Dye might get more days off, but he isn't getting benched. The reason Swisher got benched is because he acted like an idiot on a day that Ozzie gave him off. Dye is a professional, and isn't going to show up his manager or other players.

Wait, what happened?

Edited by Milkman delivers

Aside from all the "proven veteran" reasons that Dye won't be benched for an extended period of time, remember, he's playing for perhaps his final contract. I just don't believe Dye would idly sit by, even if he's hitting .100 the remainder of the season, and allow millions to potentially be thrown away for the sake of this team. Just think, a good September from Dye compared to his current state of comatose could be a significant difference come salaries next season.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)
Aside from all the "proven veteran" reasons that Dye won't be benched for an extended period of time, remember, he's playing for perhaps his final contract. I just don't believe Dye would idly sit by, even if he's hitting .100 the remainder of the season, and allow millions to potentially be thrown away for the sake of this time. Just think, a good September from Dye compared to his current state of comatose could be a significant difference come salaries next season.

That's part of what's so amazing about his production. Most guys seem to play above their career norms leading into a contract year.