If Ozzie benched Swish for Wise

Princess Dye

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 04:19 PM)
this season would've been over before July had Dye not hit .302 before the break.

Keep it in mind while you're kicking a world series MVP out the door.

Shall we keep Contreras in the rotation? He was arguably the 05 staff ace.

I think one thing that separated this organization from the Cubs, especially the 80s-90s Cubs, is their willingness to make moves that you need to make.

The Cubs kept trotting out lovable favorites like Dunston,Grace, long after their peak usefulness. The organization has long been a business first, contending-hopefuls second. Meanwhile, things like the White Flag trade, while unpopular --were our best course of action. We've won.

The Sox will do things the public doesnt like, but they have to be done. It's like raising a kid. You do things for the kid that are for their best interests, even though they dont realize it/like it.

I'm not like people here that are hating on Dye verbally, I just feel like it's time the organization either keep him here super cheap, or cut ties. More likely the latter.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 08:06 AM)

I think one thing that separated this organization from the Cubs, especially the 80s-90s Cubs, is their willingness to make moves that you need to make.

The Cubs kept trotting out lovable favorites like Dunston,Grace, long after their peak usefulness. The organization has long been a business first, contending-hopefuls second. Meanwhile, things like the White Flag trade, while unpopular --were our best course of action. We've won.

The Sox will do things the public doesnt like, but they have to be done. It's like raising a kid. You do things for the kid that are for their best interests, even though they dont realize it/like it.

I'm not like people here that are hating on Dye verbally, I just feel like it's time the organization either keep him here super cheap, or cut ties. More likely the latter.

And it doesn't help that the general American public is incredibly stupid.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 06:06 AM)

That's an incredibly silly comparison. Contreras hasn't been consistently good since early 2006. Dye was hitting over .300 with 20 HRs right before the ASB.

Dye's already been dropped in the order and has gotten several days off lately. What else do you want them to do? DFA him?

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 12:19 PM)
That's an incredibly silly comparison. Contreras hasn't been consistently good since early 2006. Dye was hitting over .300 with 20 HRs right before the ASB.

Dye's already been dropped in the order and has gotten several days off lately. What else do you want them to do? DFA him?

It wasnt a comparison of players though. Just the situations. What was brought up is -- paraphrased:"think about 05 before you let him go"

In my view, you should never think about 05 for anything having to do with 2009 or 2010. 2005 is for the DVD player alone.

I would agree if someone said i'm being too finicky but it's just a consideration that some make which bothers me. Here's the exact quote

Keep it in mind while you're kicking a world series MVP out the door.
Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 12:17 PM)
Dye might get more days off, but he isn't getting benched. The reason Swisher got benched is because he acted like an idiot on a day that Ozzie gave him off. Dye is a professional, and isn't going to show up his manager or other players.

I think someone could question why Dye stayed in the 3 spot of the lineup for so long, but there is no way the Sox are going to bench a guy whose produced like Jermaine has over the past few years. He's healthy and in a funk, but when he gets out of it, he'll get out of it big and he might damn well carry the Sox to a surprising post-season birth.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 10:25 AM)
It wasnt a comparison of players though. Just the situations. What was brought up is -- paraphrased:"think about 05 before you let him go"

JD and Contreras' situations aren't similar either. One has produced recently, the other hasn't.

Regarding the 2005 WS MVP quote, there's some truth to that in JD's case. Giving a guy like JD the boot in late August would be nothing more than a juvenile attempt to "punish" him for a month and a half of slumping. That's not how you treat a veteran player who has done a ton for your organization. You move him down in the lineup and/or give him more days off.

I completely agree that veterans shouldn't be given free passes for 2005. But you still need to treat them with respect. If Kenny were to DFA somebody like JD or Jose at this point in the season, it would clearly be out of spite (and unnecessary, with the rosters expanding on Tuesday). A move like that is going to reflect negatively on the organization (just as the White Flag Trade and JR's involvement in The Strike impacted the Sox's ability to sign FA's back in the '90s). If the Sox revert to their classless tactics of the '90s, say goodbye to being able to trade for guys like Thome and Peavy again. They'll reject a trade before you can say "no-trade clause."

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 10:40 AM)
I think someone could question why Dye stayed in the 3 spot of the lineup for so long, but there is no way the Sox are going to bench a guy whose produced like Jermaine has over the past few years. He's healthy and in a funk, but when he gets out of it, he'll get out of it big and he might damn well carry the Sox to a surprising post-season birth.

Stop making sense.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 10:40 AM)

Are we really sure he's healthy?

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 12:25 PM)

In my view, you should never think about 05 for anything having to do with 2009 or 2010. 2005 is for the DVD player alone.

I would agree if someone said i'm being too finicky but it's just a consideration that some make which bothers me. Here's the exact quote

Nice.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 01:48 PM)
Ozzie doesn't usually protect hurt players. If he was hurt, something would have came out by now. Just like it did with Paulie's thumb injury.

It could be that Dye's hurt, but hasn't said anything to Ozzie, Herm, or anybody else.