Ozzie, I've Put You On Notice

Steve9347

I tend to be an Ozzie supporter, but I get tired of the team being "tight" all the time. Isn't one of Ozzie's talents supposed to be loosening up the clubhouse? Steve makes some good arguments in his article, but I think Ozzie gets 2010 for a full year with these new players. If he doesn't get it done, it will be time to seriously consider a new direction.

I agree with his statement that Ozzie can't handle a bullpen. Yes, sometimes the pieces he has to work with suck, but I have never liked his timing for taking out starters and switching relievers. I am also tired of the team always appearing to be too tight. If the other team beats you because they are better, you tip your hat to them. If they beat you because you make stupid mistakes that you shouldn't be making, that just sucks. THAT said, unless something really bad happens the last part of this season, Ozzie probably should get a full year with this squad. Or half a year, if he really sucks.

I hate to blame managers for their teams lack of execution.

Thats never quite been my style.

I say say lack of execution because most of our losses do in fact come more from lack of execution than they do playing a Dewayne Wise. There has been numerous errors, poor base running, inabilities to get a guy in from 3rd with under 2 outs, and just horrible pitching from our bullpen for me to solely blame Ozzie.

I think he has botched quite a few things and its on him to make sure this team is prepared but lets get real, these guys are veterans, you shouldn't need Ozzie to tell you not to be swinging for the fence on every pitch because its floating in at 66mph.

They shouldn't need him to light a fire under their ass.

This one to me is solely on the veterans. They show no life. From Dye to Linebrink, Thome, Buehrle, back to Contreras. And until this past week - Konerko wasn't doing anything either.

If you look at our kids - they're playing like they have a pair. Beckham is playing well, Quentin is playing well, Floyd and Danks have been pitching great.

So I don't know if I am going to point to Ozzie just yet. He makes his mistakes and I don't think he can really do anything further to light a fire under these veterans. I don't think they react to it anymore and I'd rather see some of them go then Ozzie. Not because I love the guy - cuz I dont. But just simply because I think it may finally be time for a change in personel.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 09:07 AM)
I tend to be an Ozzie supporter, but I get tired of the team being "tight" all the time. Isn't one of Ozzie's talents supposed to be loosening up the clubhouse? Steve makes some good arguments in his article, but I think Ozzie gets 2010 for a full year with these new players. If he doesn't get it done, it will be time to seriously consider a new direction.

I really think the fault of the team playing "tight" is not on the manager....but rather the press and the fan base. When the city and the fan base is constantly saying "you suck" over and over, it puts a lot of pressure on the team and they tend to underperform.

The greatest example of this is the St Louis Cardinals. Over the years, they've gone through a lot of personnel in the clubhouse. They've been managed by Tony LaRussa for many years (who is far being laid back and loose). However, their fan base has always supported them, always been behind them, and (for the most part) not been critical. This results in players being loose and creating a a good environment (that may players really enjoy playing in).

If this team is ever to win another world series, it has to have a "loose" attitude again and become a clubhouse that players enjoy being a part of......however, I don't believe that atmosphere stems from the manager.....I believe it is created more by the fan base and the support (or lack of support) that it shows.

Steve,

I respectfully disagree. The White Sox under Ozzie Guillen and KW have been about as successful as any time in franchise history.

Sure I may disagree with some of the moves Ozzie makes, but its easier to remember the times he made a bad decision.

I assume that most people are frustrated with this team, but at the same time its not really Ozzie that has caused this team to give away games. Some of the players who the team needed to rely on (especially offense) are just not producing at the level necessary to compete every game. The Sox have no offensive stud, and there is nothing Ozzie's managing can do about that.

Im not about to make any changes after this season, it just wasnt a team that I had a lot of confidence in. Next year should be the team that is judged. If they cant come together as a cohesive unit, then yes you have to look at Ozzie. But right now I just dont believe its his fault, and Ive been one of the more critical posters on his in game abilities.

Edited by Soxbadger

I'd rather put Contreras, Dye, Linebrink, and Pena on notice. Dotel hasn't exactly torn it up this season either.

This team is full of overpaid veterans whose production doesn't match their salaries. Thankfully, their will be a house-cleaning this winter.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 08:15 AM)
I agree with his statement that Ozzie can't handle a bullpen. Yes, sometimes the pieces he has to work with suck, but I have never liked his timing for taking out starters and switching relievers. I am also tired of the team always appearing to be too tight. If the other team beats you because they are better, you tip your hat to them. If they beat you because you make stupid mistakes that you shouldn't be making, that just sucks. THAT said, unless something really bad happens the last part of this season, Ozzie probably should get a full year with this squad. Or half a year, if he really sucks.

IF the team plays tight, I think you have to look at the so-called leaders of the team and ask some questions cause there is no way that the team plays tight because of Ozzie.

Quietly I think Konerko's leadership style will be put on notice. No guy on the team plays tighter than him (well, maybe Q) and I think having that style coming from your leader hurts. Not sure how Thome is but he doesn't seem like the vocal leader either and in theory I really think the offense lacks real leadership. Hopefully Beckham can become that guy in time.

And no, I'm not saying that Thome/Konerko/Dye aren't good character guys, they are, but none of them are the type of leader I think this team needs. In the pen, well the whole f***ing thing is a disaster. Thornton is starting to get over-worked and how can you blame Ozz, he's the only guy whose worth a s*** right now.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 08:21 AM)
It would be a shame if Ozzie did not surpass Jerry Manuel in time spent as sox manager. There are quite a few people on this forum who know they would do a better job as sox manager. Anyone know how some of these message board posters can score an interview with KW?

Ozzie does a tremendous job handling his players and he's really awesome at handling starting pitchers and I actually think he's pretty good at handling the pen as well. Plenty will b**** at me for saying that, but when every guy you trot out gets lit up (excluding Thornton), how the hell is it Ozzie's fault?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 10:30 AM)
Ozzie does a tremendous job handling his players and he's really awesome at handling starting pitchers and I actually think he's pretty good at handling the pen as well. Plenty will b**** at me for saying that, but when every guy you trot out gets lit up (excluding Thornton), how the hell is it Ozzie's fault?

I don't want to see a Bobby Cox-like dynasty with Ozzie at the helm, but it's the players that aren't producing. This isn't the NFL, where the better coaches and coordinators "outsmart" the inferior ones. The Sox are sucking right now because the players aren't getting it done on the field, not because Ozzie isn't getting it done in the dugout or because Greg Walker isn't getting it done during pre-game BP.

I'd rather put Contreras, Dye, Linebrink, and Pena on notice. Dotel hasn't exactly torn it up this season either.

This team is full of overpaid veterans whose production doesn't match their salaries. Thankfully, their will be a house-cleaning this winter.

Great post, WCSox. I agree with you 100 percent.

Oz can't pitch Thornton every game. He's the only halfway reliable set up guy and he's sometimes wild as s***.

Kenny's the one who acquired these rag arm relievers who might as well put the ball on a tee.

It's rebuilding time and I hope we have enough pieces where it won't be too painful.

On paper our starting rotation should be excellent next year IF Mark returns to being Mark and Danks/Floyd continue their improvement as reliable to great starters in Sox uniforms. Peavy we need to be that ace type guy and hopefully one of our young guys will be No. 5.

I wish we'd have kept Poreda or Clayton ... maybe one of them could have been serviceable in the pen.

As far as Oz, it would have been interesting if we had this 2-8 1-9 type road trip performance in May or June.

You go 2-8 or 1-9 as we are doing on this trip early in the year ... wow interest can fall in a team in a hurry.

Would Oz have imploded? Would KW have canned him? Maybe not but 1-9 mighta put us in the tank for good early on.

I find it hard to criticize Oz too much; he's no different from any manager, though. If we're out of it in May or early June any season, sure he could be canned.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
I really think the fault of the team playing "tight" is not on the manager....but rather the press and the fan base. When the city and the fan base is constantly saying "you suck" over and over, it puts a lot of pressure on the team and they tend to underperform.

The greatest example of this is the St Louis Cardinals. Over the years, they've gone through a lot of personnel in the clubhouse. They've been managed by Tony LaRussa for many years (who is far being laid back and loose). However, their fan base has always supported them, always been behind them, and (for the most part) not been critical. This results in players being loose and creating a a good environment (that may players really enjoy playing in).

If this team is ever to win another world series, it has to have a "loose" attitude again and become a clubhouse that players enjoy being a part of......however, I don't believe that atmosphere stems from the manager.....I believe it is created more by the fan base and the support (or lack of support) that it shows.

If that was the case, then the Yankees would have never ever won a world series, cause that fan base is as critical as can be.

The reason the fans are saying "you suck" is cause they are underperforming. No one was calling out JD in the first half, cause he was playing like an All-Star. But he has hit under .200 since the break, and that was not caused by the fan base. His underperformance has caused the fans to be critical of him.

If a player cant handle the press/fans talking about how bad he is playing, then he needs to switch jobs or go sign with the Nationals where it doesnt matter anyway.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)

What fantasy world do you live in?