ESPN Feature on AJ

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 11:23 PM)
I was in a restaurant tonight and ESPN was on, around 6:30 pm Central time, and they had a 3 or 4 minute feature on AJ. I couldn't hear any of it, but it looked good. Anyone else see it, and can we somehow find it on line? Any help?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4419021

To think that he is the most hated man is baseball is crazy. Has he caused one problem since he's been here?

I think Sox fans have really taken to him and I think he feels the same way about Sox fans. I don't think he ever wants to leave here.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 04:50 AM)
When people boo him, they don't know why they're booing him. Similar to how when they root for the Cubs, they don't know why they're cheering for them.

i dont post here much anymore but you sir owe me a keyboard :lolhitting

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 10:50 PM)
When people boo him, they don't know why they're booing him. Similar to how when they root for the Cubs, they don't know why they're cheering for them.

You, sir, are correct.

I would bet a good amount of money that, if you were to ask someone in a random city why they were booing him, they'd respond with "[stutter][pause]...he's a jerk."

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 08:52 AM)
You, sir, are correct.

I would bet a good amount of money that, if you were to ask someone in a random city why they were booing him, they'd respond with "[stutter][pause]...he's a jerk."

LOL.

I have a friend who's a Yankees fan and whenever we talk baseball if I bring up the Sox he always has to throw in a "I hate AJ Pierzynski" comment. I then always ask why, and his response is always "Cuz he's an asshole". So I ask why is he an asshole? "Cuz he just is. I hate that guy".

So yep, you're 100% correct.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 08:20 AM)
LOL.

I have a friend who's a Yankees fan and whenever we talk baseball if I bring up the Sox he always has to throw in a "I hate AJ Pierzynski" comment. I then always ask why, and his response is always "Cuz he's an asshole". So I ask why is he an asshole? "Cuz he just is. I hate that guy".

So yep, you're 100% correct.

I've had many similar conversations. The people who actually know a little will mention that he was hated on his own teams, and then I'll mention how the Twins loved him and only two pitchers on the Giants disliked him, but they were loud-mouths and brought it to the media...one of which has since apologized to AJ.

The only thing I can't really clear up is the thing about him hitting the coach in the balls. I just say that that was a stupid thing, but most likely a momentary lapse in judgment.

I love to watch AJ play the game. I have ever since he was with the Twins. I wish we had a team full of guys who had the baseball IQ that AJ has. If we did, we would be running away with the AL Central. People don't like him, because they don't like to be made to feel stupid. AJ does that to a lot of players on a field.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 10:57 AM)
I love to watch AJ play the game. I have ever since he was with the Twins. I wish we had a team full of guys who had the baseball IQ that AJ has. If we did, we would be running away with the AL Central. People don't like him, because they don't like to be made to feel stupid. AJ does that to a lot of players on a field.

Everyone who is clamoring for us to trade him in the offseason will really regret that if we ever do. He is such a beneficial part to this ball club. His first pitch swinging can at times be frustrating, but he's just so under appreciated here. It's surprising actually.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 11:00 AM)
Everyone who is clamoring for us to trade him in the offseason will really regret that if we ever do. He is such a beneficial part to this ball club. His first pitch swinging can at times be frustrating, but he's just so under appreciated here. It's surprising actually.

For a little while, yes, but Tyler Flowers will make those regrets pass very quickly.

soxfan_9 commenting on that article is delusional. His comments on the Barret incident sound like they are from a cub fan. Acted like a jerk, ran his mouth, and got punched for it?? I don't know anyone who saw it that way...including my objective cub fan friends. He slapped the plate...after a huge moment in the game. That's it.

Then he comments that AJ elbows first baseman after he is out taking cheap shots like a punk. I have never seen this, but if it happened I would think it's 2 guys that know each other f***in around. If AJ really elbowed someone in a serious manner to start s***...I'm pretty sure the 1st baseman would respond and s*** would get started.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 10:17 AM)
For a little while, yes, but Tyler Flowers will make those regrets pass very quickly.

Replacing a guy who understands the game with a guy who can hit, is about more than the numbers. I really hope AJ mentors the kid a bit, but who knows.

I forgot he was so disliked. Unlike say, Rodman, where it was easy to see why he was disliked, or even dislike him while he played on your team, I find everything to like about AJ and nothing to dislike. Well, besides, as SS points out, we do not have enough of them running around.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 11:17 AM)

No one knows that though. It's not as if AJ is 40 years old. He probably has a couple good years left. We know we are getting a good player with incredible baseball smarts with AJ. Plus, the pitching staff seems to like him and be comfortable with him. Flowers has enormous potential and has impressed at all levels of minor league play, but he has yet to take a major league AB. I have no problem penciling in Tyler as our starter in 2011. But i'm very hesitant to do so next season. I actually think Flowers would benefit greatly a year playing behind AJ. Obviously I wouldn't want him in a pure backup role as that could hurt his development so they'd have to find a way to get him some AB's elsewhere (DH) as well.

While I agree that many fans dont know exactly why they boo him....... c'mon, he'd be exactly the kind of guy on the other team we'd hate. One person I know said he has one of those "punchable faces"

Hell, we've hated him when he was a Twin, no? Most of us dont know these guys personally, but we overblow reasons for both loving or hating pro athletes.

Twin fans have a very specific problem with him. Apparently he once stepped (obviously hard) on Morneau's ankle on a close place at first, and (while I cant say I remember the replay) it's been told to me that the foot did not at all look like it was in his direct line of running.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 10:00 AM)

I keep seeing people saying this, but I honestly can't recall seeing a post about wanting to trade AJ. I'm sure someone will provide a link to one, and I thank you in advance, but I just cannot remember someone saying it.