Congrats White Sox on reaching 100 errors already

caulfield12

Quote of the Day...

"You won't believe how terrible this White Sox team is defensively..." Anonymous AL Advance Scout to the Yankees' broadcast crew.

Guillen is pissed, pissed, pissed. It seems that the intimation from the announcers is that Guillen didn't want to start Contreras and was forced to against his will by KW.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 01:23 PM)
not sure what the white sox plan on doing to help the defense next year aside from playing rios every day.

Ramirez will be traded. We will have a new SS or 3B next year. I honestly think Beckham could be a great SS in this league.

They have to replace Dye with Quentin...that will help with the range, or find another RFer, and I doubt that will be Vladimir Guerrero, who's about as limited as JD now physically.

I really wouldn't even mind someone like Fr. Gutierrez or Endy Chavez in our outfield, but there's no way in hell I'm relying on Pods to be a starter next year...forget it.

Ramirez moves to 2B (or is traded, or the Nix/Getz platoon again)...Beckham to SS and Fields/Viciedo/Nix (but probably a veteran 3B on a one-year contract while waiting for Viciedo) is the most likely. Fields and Getz definitely look to be the odd men out at this point, although we might need to keep Fields because his value is so low and because Thome AND Dye might both be gone, so we'll need to produce offense somehow.

A better LFer, Rios in CF, Quentin in RF, Beckham/Ramirez up the middle, a better defensive 3B....we're not going to get any better with AJ/Flowers at catcher.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 12:29 PM)
Ramirez will be traded. We will have a new SS or 3B next year. I honestly think Beckham could be a great SS in this league.

Theoretically, if we can get Alexei's production from Getz/Nix at 2B, then we make this trade (because his contract, his age and his Soriano-esque potential production from the middle infield will entice SOMEONE) and find a leadoff hitter (OF), fifth starter and/or rebuild our bullpen as Dotel leaves and Jenks might be out the door as well, although I think KW will hold onto Jenks for one more year because his value is so diminished, even compared to this offseason.

From being the "Cuban Connection," if we ditch Contreras and Ramirez and Viciedo doesn't pan out, that seeming advantage we had in attracting Cubans might be out the window as well.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 01:29 PM)

I don't see him going to SS. They'll probably keep him at 3B for the near future because they have no one else who can play there. Alexei may be going. I think Dye leaving, Quentin being healthy finally and in RF, and Beckham getting a full year at 3B will help tremendously.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 01:31 PM)
They have to replace Dye with Quentin...that will help with the range, or find another RFer, and I doubt that will be Vladimir Guerrero, who's about as limited as JD now physically.

I really wouldn't even mind someone like Fr. Gutierrez or Endy Chavez in our outfield, but there's no way in hell I'm relying on Pods to be a starter next year...forget it.

Ramirez moves to 2B (or is traded, or the Nix/Getz platoon again)...Beckham to SS and Fields/Viciedo/Nix (but probably a veteran 3B on a one-year contract while waiting for Viciedo) is the most likely. Fields and Getz definitely look to be the odd men out at this point, although we might need to keep Fields because his value is so low and because Thome AND Dye might both be gone, so we'll need to produce offense somehow.

A better LFer, Rios in CF, Quentin in RF, Beckham/Ramirez up the middle, a better defensive 3B....we're not going to get any better with AJ/Flowers at catcher.

Ramirez did look good at 2B last year. But he's a terrible SS. The question is what could bring you more in return for a trade- Ramirez or Getz? You could probably get a nice return if you trade Alexie, not so sure about Getz. Figgins plays pretty 3b, i wouldn't mind an infield of Figgins, Beckham and Getz with Nix as the backup.

Quentin in left isn't bad. Rios has added a much needed upgrade in CF. Dye needs to go. We need a RF who has a glove.

In summary: Trade Ramirez. Let Dye walk. And add a couple of defensive minded players who could swing a decent bat.

The great debate of this offseason will be Nix/Getz at 2B (the same Nix who is only 0.18 behind Beckham in OPS), where Ramirez ends up and who will our leadoff hitter be...along with the fifth starter and reconstructing our bullpen, although it trading Jenks seems unlikely right now with his value so low.

Getz has really proven to be injury-prone this season...and very streaky. He needs to put up a .340-.360 OBP to be effective with his lack of power, and he hasn't done that consistently in 2009. His main advantage now is a LH bat (especially with Pods on his way out probably) and his speed.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)
not sure what the white sox plan on doing to help the defense next year aside from playing rios every day.

Yeah, no kidding. This team has awful fundamentals.

I honestly can't see Nix in the 2010 starting lineup at SS or 2B. He's looked average-to-below-average at 2B and was nothing short of a butcher at SS. And it's really unfortunate, because he has a ton of fielding talent, a lot of power at the plate, and is hitting relatively well right now.

Guys, I see absolutely NO WAY we trade Alexei in the offseason. No way. The reason is the guy seems to be a .275 20 and 80 guy in the MIDDLE INFIELD making only ONE MILLION per year. How much would we pay for this production at the middle infield in the market? We need guys like this to offset the big contracts of Rios, Peavy, Paulie, etc. This guy is a bargain.

That said, I agree, move AR back to 2B (I thought he was above average there last year) and Beckham to SS. Dye to DH and get another outfielder.

3B to be decided

My .02

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
Yeah, no kidding. This team has awful fundamentals.

I honestly can't see Nix in the 2010 starting lineup at SS or 2B. He's looked average-to-below-average at 2B and was nothing short of a butcher at SS. And it's really unfortunate, because he has a ton of fielding talent, a lot of power at the plate, and is hitting relatively well right now.

He's clearly the better option over Getz :lol:

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
Guys, I see absolutely NO WAY we trade Alexei in the offseason. No way. The reason is the guy seems to be a .275 20 and 80 guy in the MIDDLE INFIELD making only ONE MILLION per year. How much would we pay for this production at the middle infield in the market? We need guys like this to offset the big contracts of Rios, Peavy, Paulie, etc. This guy is a bargain.

That said, I agree, move AR back to 2B (I thought he was above average there last year) and Beckham to SS. Dye to DH and get another outfielder.

3B to be decided

My .02

Dye is not coming back.

They have to leave Nix at 2B (and not move him around as the utility player), Beckham at SS and let them play together every single day in Spring Training and during the regular season.

Ramirez is the one asset (certainly not Getz or Fields) that can get some talent back to fill the holes at 3B, leadoff/OF, fifth starter and the bullpen.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 07:51 PM)

3B to be decided

My .02

Alexei doesn't get traded. Ozzie ssays that Beckham-Ramirez and Getz are the future

Time for a do-over. Move Lexi back to second and acquire a stopgap veteran shortstop again like we did OC two years ago.

Leave Gordon at third.

Part of our defensive inability has to be attributed to the overall attitude of the team and the garbage we've had at the 4 and 5 spots in our rotation. Another reason is inexperience and youth all over the infied, and yet another is a defensive hole in CF when BA or Rios weren't out there and RF when Rios wasn't out there.

Next year we'll have more experience in our IF and our IF will have all of ST to work together at their positions. Our pitching staff will be a lot better (assuming none of our top 4 get hurt and miss large chunks of time) and this should make a better winning environment which can only help our defense by keeping the players' heads in the games.

Our #1 priority over the offseason should be an above-average defensive RF, preferably with a lefty bat if we can find one. This will keep Rios in CF and will really help our OF D as a whole. After that, I'd like to pick up another lefty in the pen and possibly a lead-off hitter if we can fit one in. We won't need a ton of work though and I don't think we're as far away from being a title contender as our play this season would seem to indicate.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 05:52 PM)
Our #1 priority over the offseason should be an above-average defensive RF, preferably with a lefty bat if we can find one. This will keep Rios in CF and will really help our OF D as a whole. After that, I'd like to pick up another lefty in the pen and possibly a lead-off hitter if we can fit one in. We won't need a ton of work though and I don't think we're as far away from being a title contender as our play this season would seem to indicate.

After looking through the 2010 free agents, I'm genuinely convinced the player you're asking for doesn't exist. Or at least not without a trade.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 11:31 AM)

I think the whole reason the Sox traded Brandon Allen is that Viciedo is bad at 3rd and will be playing 1st.