Sox at Yankees August 30th game thread

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 07:50 PM)
I always thought Macdougal had electric stuff.. I remember he was lights out his first year here. The Sox just gave up on him though.. another terrible move.

Complain about how we handled him, but giving up on him at the time we did was absolutely the right move.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Linebrink is terrible. Williams should be in the minors. Pena is a mental midget. Thorton is burned out. Jenks is okay but isn't the same. Dotel is bone average. Carrasco is a decent middle reliever.

Yep our bullpen SUCKS!!!!!

Oh and im not sure what the hell happened to Dye? He downright sucks. And he has sucked for a long time now. He's a huge reason we suck.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
...And people told me that Masset was nothing special last year when I said I didn't like how we gave up Masset in the Griffey deal.

And he's still nothing special. His numbers in June, July, and now August have been on the climb, and that will likely continue. He just got off to a hot start pitching in the inferior league.

2-6 in the line-up are 1-17 without a walk

McDougal was kind of treated like Vazquez was in that he didn't live up to expectations he was no worse than Linebrink has been.

This entire season is a bust because of inconsistent hitting. Every pitcher needs to be perfect every time out as this team is unable to come from behind or consistently score runs after that 5th inning.

I do not thin the Sox have won more than 5 games when losing after.

I hope this is a wake up call for next year and Ramirez, Quentin, Rios and Beckham can turn into consistently productive hitters which none are at this point in time.

I also wouldn't mind Pods being the lead-off man next year.

Why are people so upset? This team hasn't been trying for a while now, it's been clear we weren't going to be a playoff team for a while now, to the point where some pople still thought we should have traded AWAY veterans at the deadline. The only reason we got our record to a respectable level for a while was we beat up on the national league. With the exception of that fluke homestand against the Angels and Yankees, this team hasn't shown any capability of anything resembling excellence.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)
Complain about how we handled him, but giving up on him at the time we did was absolutely the right move.

I thought we were very patient with MacDougal,dude just couldn't throw strikes consistently with us.

I had no problem when they let him go.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
6 GB.

I hope Minnesota sweeps us.

i never like for us to lose, and i don't think theres a huge difference in drafting say 14th instead of 11th...but in this case, i agree with you, because right now we would be drafting 14th, and there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in drafting 16th and 14th, in draft pick protection for type A free agents, so we best not fall in that lower half of the draft...although i can't see us necessarily signing type A guys

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 03:05 PM)
i never like for us to lose, and i don't think theres a huge difference in drafting say 14th instead of 11th...but in this case, i agree with you, because right now we would be drafting 14th, and there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in drafting 16th and 14th, in draft pick protection for type A free agents, so we best not fall in that lower half of the draft...although i can't see us necessarily signing type A guys

EXCELLENT point.

If the Sox want Figgins they'd be able to sign him while only giving up a 2nd rounder, which doesn't matter a whole lot because we get Morgado's draft spot back (I think).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 02:35 PM)
Anyone who thinks just adding a healthy Jake Peavy to this team and bringing up a couple of minor leaguers and they will be WS contenders next year, probably should go live in Amsterdam.

Yeah, and watch what will happen next season -- there will be a few key injuries, a few players expected to be good who will have down years, and then there will be more excuses.

We'll go into 2010 with high expectations, sure, but I'm not entirely confident in the roster even knowing full well that Williams can add/subtract a few parts in the offseason. There probably won't be anything drastic.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 01:12 PM)
Yeah, and watch what will happen next season -- there will be a few key injuries, a few players expected to be good who will have down years, and then there will be more excuses.

We'll go into 2010 with high expectations, sure, but I'm not entirely confident in the roster even knowing full well that Williams can add/subtract a few parts in the offseason. There probably won't be anything drastic.

When has KW not done a fairly drastic overhaul in the offseason?

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 03:05 PM)

You know, I haven't even thought too much about our draft position. I agree that, at the minimum, we should lose enough to ensure our pick is protected. For this Minnesota series I'm just looking for them to get further embarrassed. At this point, why give ANY positive feelings from this roadtrip?

Also, I don't want Peavy starting for us this season. Lose three in Minnesota, hopefully Detroit wins 2/3 in their next series, so we'll be far back enough to not risk anything with Peavy.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 03:12 PM)

Next year we'll be a lot younger though. And just imagine swapping out Contreras' entire season with Peavy.

We're not going to suddenly be a 100-game winner, but with a few moves to fix our atrocious bullpen and if we can sign a competent 5th starter so that Hudson has someone to battle and our rotation has insurance, we could go pretty far.

Also CQ should be healthy all season. Even with regression from other players, a healthy CQ goes a LONG way.

Bullpen and defense. How can we improve over the off season? Maybe Beckham-Ramirez and Getz improve with experience? Nix is a good sub, but not really all that impressive with the glove. I think it's our [en and having a solid starter or two might help also. Peavy hopefully is healthy and we have a dependable 5th starter. Maybe Freddie Garcia will be in he running for that/ He hasn't shown me any reason not to give him that chance. I would also like a more effective back up catcher. I like the heck out of Thome, but he is just hot or cold anymopre and today he couldn't hit the ball out of the infield. Does he have one more real good year left in him? I would have liked to see Frank Thomas get another shot compared to Thome this year.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
When has KW not done a fairly drastic overhaul in the offseason?

2003 offseason.

Anyways, when has Williams taken on two contracts like Rios and Peavy midseason before? And what can we really expect for upgrades, the trading chips we do have we cant afford to give up (Quentin, Danks, Beckham) and we're not going to outbid anyone on the FA market.