The Ozzie Guillen job approval/disapproval poll

whitesoxfan101

Ozzie Guillen job approval ranking  

128 members have voted

1. 1. My thoughts on Ozzie Guillen are

• Fire him, he's lost this team and 2005 was a long time ago
    • Keep him, he's won 2 division titles and a world series in 6 years, and deserves patience
    • Ozzie should be on the hot seat....next year.
    • Ask me at the end of this season, I'm not sure yet
    • Keep him forever, he won a World Series!
    • Other

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)
None of these choices really address the issue or problem with this team, but I am not ready to throw Ozzie under the bus regardless

Well what choice would you go with? A Kenny job approval/disapproval poll will probably be on the way soon as well, as I am in offseason mode now. My vote was he should be on the hot seat next year btw. The division will be there for the taking again, and I think we should be good enough to win it if Kenny does his job this winter (although I guess that's not a sure thing is it?)

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 03:19 PM)
I love how so many people here constantly call for the heads of coaches and managers, but express comparatively little outrage at the players' lack of execution.

I don't want Ozzie fired yet, I will wait until I see how 2010 goes before I say that. And I am pretty upset at the players too, I probably want half of the roster to be gone after this season.

I like him and all but don't think alot of players care for him. It's one of the reasons we can't sign free agents, and have cut/gave up talent for nothing. I think a whole new coaching staff is needed or atleast hitting coach/manager because it seems like a lot of guys on the team have given up.

Edited by b-Rye

How can you blame Ozzie for Dye hitting like .120 since the break? Is it Ozzies fault Buehrle has been garbage since his perfect game?

The players performance is what is hurting this team most, more than Ozzie making a bad lineup or bad pitching change.. Thats the problem, the players aren't getting it done.. thats Kenny, not Ozzie.

I think a lot of what we have seen this year has to be on Kenny's desk (and like I said, his approval/disapproval poll is coming soon). But I don't know how you could have watched this team lately and not say that their effort level is well below 100 percent right now, and that goes on Ozzie. Also, the fundementally braindead play we see from this team is a factor. Obviously, part of that is the players might not be too bright, but poor fundementals have to also go to the manager's desk to a certain degree as well.

Keep him, but I want him to snap a lot more in the future.

Now time for my conspiracy theory...

Today I sat there laughing while he had Williams warming up to keep the game within 1 run. Really, Randy Williams? You know he's going to give up at least one run!

So then Williams comes in and does as expected, and now here's Linebrink in the kitchen with his marinara-stained apron on forming big, juicy meatballs in his glove.

Then Ozzie loads the bases for Linebrink. Clearly Ozzie is thinking... I don't know what the hell he's thinking!

So then Tex gets the 3-run bomb that EVERY SINGLE SOX FAN ON THE PLANET knew was coming. Brilliant.

My theory is that Ozzie knew the game was lost and that the offense wasn't going to come back against Hughes and Mariano, so instead of making it a close loss, he opts to bring in the two guys he most abhors and lets them take the game out of reach. Now, not only does Ozzie have another excuse to blame the loss on these guys, but he has a reason to again rip the team a new asshole after the game. Just my two cents.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 08:17 PM)
Well what choice would you go with? A Kenny job approval/disapproval poll will probably be on the way soon as well, as I am in offseason mode now. My vote was he should be on the hot seat next year btw. The division will be there for the taking again, and I think we should be good enough to win it if Kenny does his job this winter (although I guess that's not a sure thing is it?)

We need to look at players not performiong up to expectations and handling their roles. I see the bullpen as a major culprit and defense close behind. Experience might improve the infield defense and trades the bullpen. A healthy Peavy and a solid fifth starter will also help.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 08:27 PM)
Keep him, but I want him to snap a lot more in the future.

Now time for my conspiracy theory...

Today I sat there laughing while he had Williams warming up to keep the game within 1 run. Really, Randy Williams? You know he's going to give up at least one run!

So then Williams comes in and does as expected, and now here's Linebrink in the kitchen with his marinara-stained apron on forming big, juicy meatballs in his glove.

Then Ozzie loads the bases for Linebrink. Clearly Ozzie is thinking... I don't know what the hell he's thinking!

So then Tex gets the 3-run bomb that EVERY SINGLE SOX FAN ON THE PLANET knew was coming. Brilliant.

My theory is that Ozzie knew the game was lost and that the offense wasn't going to come back against Hughes and Mariano, so instead of making it a close loss, he opts to bring in the two guys he most abhors and lets them take the game out of reach. Now, not only does Ozzie have another excuse to blame the loss on these guys, but he has a reason to again rip the team a new asshole after the game. Just my two cents.

Good conspiracy analysis, but when you have an underforming bullpen what do you do? You can only go with what ytou have and as they prove they can'yt do the job you make the notation and get rid of them nin the off season and try and find someone who can do the job. Williams mewlted like Logan used to in his role. Linebrink is really struggling for some reason. Of course it didn't help that the ump blew the call at 1B on what should have been a GIDP, but good pitchers with an edge pitch over that. Our guys can't seem to do that and are so prone to giving up homers it's pathetic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 03:28 PM)
We need to look at players not performiong up to expectations and handling their roles. I see the bullpen as a major culprit and defense close behind. Experience might improve the infield defense and trades the bullpen. A healthy Peavy and a solid fifth starter will also help.

You can't have a middle of the order built around an aging Konerko, Thome, and Dye either.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 02:19 PM)
I love how so many people here constantly call for the heads of coaches and managers, but express comparatively little outrage at the players' lack of execution.

fact: since August 2005, this team has changed a WHOLE lot of names and faces, including signing many big name players and maintaining a top 5-10 MLB payroll.... yet every Aug-Sept including 2005 and since, I've essentially wanted to slit my wrists watching this team the last two months of the season....Ozzie has been the constant during this time and with widely varying staff

when the coach is the only common denominator on an "underachieving" star studded lineup, you have to look squarely at the leader and wonder why so many players, both young and veteran, seem to lose focus, intensity, will-to-win, hustle, etc in the key stretch of the year?

I have been and will always be in the camp that says we won the WS in spite of Ozzie Guillen, rather than because of Ozzie Guillen....as has been stated too many times, the Sox were 0.5 game away from not making the playoffs in 2005 after being up by an ungodly amount heading into August. I also believe the relief of not having one of the biggest collapses in MLB history allowed them to loosen up in the playoffs, but that just like all seasons since the mgr was not able to keep his club battling and focused the final two months of the reg season.

fact: this team has absolutely nothing to lose changing managers. players from many different teams that arrived on the sox clearly do not respond to him when things start going bad, and after FIVE CONSECTIVE August-Septembers of the same basic result, this fan for one, will try just about any other manager out there, knowing the only thing I have to lose for the pathetic amount of hours and emotion I put into them, is another pathetic final two months.

hell, I'd take Jerry Manuel's "do nothing" approach at this point

Edited by stretchstretch

QUOTE (stretchstretch @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 03:53 PM)
fact: since August 2005, this team has changed a WHOLE lot of names and faces, including signing many big name players and maintaining a top 5-10 MLB payroll.... yet every Aug-Sept including 2005 and since, I've essentially wanted to slit my wrists watching this team the last two months of the season....Ozzie has been the constant during this time and with widely varying staff

when the coach is the only common denominator on an "underachieving" star studded lineup, you have to look squarely at the leader and wonder why so many players, both young and veteran, seem to lose focus, intensity, will-to-win, hustle, etc in the key stretch of the year?

I have been and will always be in the camp that says we won the WS in spite of Ozzie Guillen, rather than because of Ozzie Guillen....as has been stated too many times, the Sox were 0.5 game away from not making the playoffs in 2005 after being up by an ungodly amount heading into August. I also believe the relief of not having one of the biggest collapses in MLB history allowed them to loosen up in the playoffs, but that just like all seasons since the mgr was not able to keep his club battling and focused the final two months of the reg season.

fact: this team has absolutely nothing to lose changing managers. players from many different teams that arrived on the sox clearly do not respond to him when things start going bad, and after FIVE CONSECTIVE August-Septembers of the same basic result, this fan for one, will try just about any other manager out there, knowing the only thing I have to lose for the pathetic amount of hours and emotion I put into them, is another pathetic final two months.

You can say the same for all the Jerry Manual teams. None of them did well down the stretch. Especially in 2003, even 2000. That team ran out of gas.

The White Sox are just a bad team down the stretch and have been for the past decade.

QUOTE (stretchstretch @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 03:53 PM)

That "star studded lineup" is old.

Oh hey look, this thread again.

Seriously people, the White Sox are just not that good of a team. This really should be not be a shock, since they were about a .500 team before this roadtrip IN A BAD DIVISION. It's not Ozzies fault this team is god awful with the glove. It's not Ozzies fault the bullpen has been bad lately. I'm not really sure what he's supposed to do, ya know?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 08:50 PM)
You can't have a middle of the order built around an aging Konerko, Thome, and Dye either.

Can't realy argue that point, but they aren't the problem and you don't gut all the leadership and experience just because you are dissapointed with the team as a whole

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 08:57 PM)
You can say the same for all the Jerry Manual teams. None of them did well down the stretch. Especially in 2003, even 2000. That team ran out of gas.

The White Sox are just a bad team down the stretch and have been for the past decade.

And injuries slowed them too

Ozzie hasn't been great this year, but when he has to leadoff Wise and Nix and Lillibridge and has to call in Linebrink or Williams, has to watch Fields flail away at another fastball as the catcher is throwing it back to the pitcher or has to send Contreras to the mound right after he said he's out of the rotation, you can't pin the blame on him. As crazy as this sounds, I've actually warmed more to Ozzie this year. He's not getting or taking the credit for things he doesn't deserve credit for, and I think he's picked his times to pop off pretty well.

As bad as this roadtrip has been, it may be good for the White Sox in the long run. Perhaps they realize they really aren't all that close to where they want to be. They aren't as good as they think, and I'm not talking about the players.