The Kenny Williams job approval/disapproval poll

whitesoxfan101

Kenny's turn  

88 members have voted

1. 1. My thoughts on Kenny Williams are:

• Keep him forever, we won the World Series under his guidance!
    • Be patient. We're bad now, but the future looks bright with our pitching rotation, farm system, and level of competition in the division
    • Fire him. He's done an awful job since 2005, and his gambling nature hurts our franchise
    • Ask me at the end of this season, I'm not sure yet.
    • He should be on the hot seat....next year.
    • Other

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 04:34 PM)
Rios sucks ...

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 05:12 PM)
I wonder, have you read our site guidelines lately...?

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?act=boardrules

Sorry Knight, but I think his post clearly falls under... "Personal attacks towards players will not be tolerated. You can question a team's/player(s)' performance but not as people themselves."... despite the fact that he didn't elaborate.

I think people are giving up on Rios way too quickly. He was a .260 hitter when he got here, and now he's getting even less playing time to figure things out. I think a full off-season under new tutelage is needed, and we'll be happy to have his defense in center next season.

The PROBLEM is that we keep moving him all over the diamond and are not maximizing his value which is having him in centerfield. Centerfielders make bank, and he's going to be a pretty damn good one.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 08:36 AM)
I would like to see Kenny given a shot at restructuring this team. He obviously can find talent and make good moves, but his last two moves are not looking good...Pena is garbage and we gave up a fine power hitting spect for him and Peavy is currently damaged goods (now he has elbow issues).

You can't win them all, but both those trades have done absolutely NOTHING for this team this year and both moves mortaged the future.

That all said, I think the writing is on the wall and Kenny knows it's time to move a bunch of players out, getting younger and more exciting. This team has 'run its course'. It was a good run, but time to cut bait on numerous players on this roster.

So getting a Cy Young pitcher signed through 2013 is mortgaging the future? Yeah, I quit reading at that point.

QUOTE (Allsox @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 04:03 PM)
Rios has been bad this yr but it's possible he can rebound next yr and at least we don't have to wonder who's playing CF for awhile.

I really believe Kenny's gonna get Figgins, play him at 3B and switch Beckham to SS with Alexei back to 2B. I also see him signing back Thome (We need some Lefty Thunder) and letting Dye go (Dye's last two 2nd halves have been awful and Figgins fills the leadoff spot perfectly.) He can maybe sign back Pods to bat in the 2-hole and play SOME LF with him gone by the 7th inning.

Otherwise, I have lots of faith in Kenny to make us a better ballclub next yr.

I guess I can see the Sox acquiring Figgins, but it'll cost us. And if we do get Figgins...hell, even if we don't, I think Alexei more than likely will be gone. I agree with the rest of your post.

I voted for Kenny being on the hot seat next year. He's put together a solid team for the 2010 season on paper, but let's face the fact that his teams have vastly underachieved since 2005. So, if next year ends up being another bust, then it's time to cut him loose.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 09:46 AM)
I guess I can see the Sox acquiring Figgins, but it'll cost us. And if we do get Figgins...hell, even if we don't, I think Alexei more than likely will be gone. I agree with the rest of your post.

I voted for Kenny being on the hot seat next year. He's put together a solid team for the 2010 season on paper, but let's face the fact that his teams have vastly underachieved since 2005. So, if next year ends up being another bust, then it's time to cut him loose.

Based on the results this year, clearly last year's team overachieved.

The 2006 team just ran out of gas and the starting rotation started to show signs of too much wear and tear from all those innings pitched. Garcia and Contreras were never the same pitchers again after the second half of 2005/first half 2006.

This year's team wasn't set up to compete until mid-season. Then we maybe got a little too optimistic, but who have we really ADDED?

Yeah, Pena/Kotsay/Rios/Castro, but the most important acquisition hasn't pitched...it's probably been a net negative because Clayton Richard arguably would have had better results in that spot than what we've received since we traded him...although certainly not nearly as well as he's done in SD.

KW really has his work cut out for him with the leadoff spot, 3B and bullpen. They can survive with an unknown fifth starter, but they have to solidify the infield defense, bullpen and replace Pods adequately.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 02:03 PM)
So getting a Cy Young pitcher signed through 2013 is mortgaging the future? Yeah, I quit reading at that point.
It could turn out that way. If Peavy doesn't meet expectations and one or two of the prospects we sent SD do well. I'm not saying that's what is going to happen, nor am I criticizing our GM for making the trade. There still is some risk involved. KW swings for the fences at times, and there is always the chance of an occasional wipeout on one of those type of trades. As for me right now I'm in my ivory tower worrying and second guessing the Rios move. He's left me very underwhelmed so far. Next year, we'll see.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 09:04 AM)
Based on the results this year, clearly last year's team overachieved.

Yep, certainly Alexei and possibly Quentin. Dotel and Linebrink were also over-achievers before falling apart and being injured, respectively, 2/3 of the way through the season.

In addition, the dinosaurs in the middle of the lineup are a year older and are showing it.

Edited by WCSox